Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 05:10 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Absent medicare (age 65 etc) rather few can afford to leave their jobs.
Covid, WFH etc have NO BEARING on this reality.
The folks I just posted about are well able to afford it. One is past 65 and has a full pension earned already, the other has 30 years in and also a full pension even though he is not yet 65. We actually have a lot of people in the same situation. I am hoping that management gets some sense knocked into them about this. WE DON'T NEED to be in the office to do our jobs. It does not hold true for everyone of course, but it definitely does for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 05:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The folks I just posted about are well able to afford it. One is past 65 and has a full pension earned already, the other has 30 years in and also a full pension even though he is not yet 65. We actually have a lot of people in the same situation. I am hoping that management gets some sense knocked into them about this. WE DON'T NEED to be in the office to do our jobs. It does not hold true for everyone of course, but it definitely does for us.
One of my coworkers (also in my job, which can absolutely be done at home as the past year has proven) isn't eligible to retire, but is looking online for a WFH job, of which there are apparently plenty to choose from. So there will possibly be two of us gone due to their refusal to be flexible...

Last edited by otterhere; 03-28-2021 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-28-2021, 05:58 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
The folks I just posted about are ...
...are an example of the 'rather few' mentioned. BFD

Using outliers as exemplars is a FREQUENT issue in the forums.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:21 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
I had planned to work another 2-3 years before retiring. I'd gotten (somewhat) used to the long commute on a dangerous freeway, though I hated every day of it. Now enter a WFH scenario for the last year. No more awful commute. No more disagreeable co-workers, no more face-to-face encounters with bad managers or their boring useless meetings. No more rushed and unhealthy lunches. No more general anxiety of being in a place I didn't want to be 5 days a week. Just me, doing my job from my comfortable desk at home.

We are still WFH, making it a year now. I haven't heard whether those who have jobs that can be done from home, will be allowed to continue to WFH. But I've asked myself, if asked to come back to the office, could I do it? I think it would be extremely difficult now that I've had a taste of WFH. Maybe if it were earlier in my career and I wasn't burned out and fed up, I could be flexible enough to go back, though reluctantly. But probably not now. Not to THIS job in THAT place. Not to that toxic environment. I'm not interested in looking for a new job at this late stage, if that would even be doable at 62. Nope, this will be the last one, whether it ends soon, or in another couple of years.

So, I'm just biding my time and hoping I don't have to make that difficult choice.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:36 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I had planned to work another 2-3 years before retiring. I'd gotten (somewhat) used to the long commute on a dangerous freeway, though I hated every day of it. Now enter a WFH scenario for the last year. No more awful commute. No more disagreeable co-workers, no more face-to-face encounters with bad managers or their boring useless meetings. No more rushed and unhealthy lunches. No more general anxiety of being in a place I didn't want to be 5 days a week. Just me, doing my job from my comfortable desk at home.

We are still WFH, making it a year now. I haven't heard whether those who have jobs that can be done from home, will be allowed to continue to WFH. But I've asked myself, if asked to come back to the office, could I do it? I think it would be extremely difficult now that I've had a taste of WFH. Maybe if it were earlier in my career and I wasn't burned out and fed up, I could be flexible enough to go back, though reluctantly. But probably not now. Not to THIS job in THAT place. Not to that toxic environment. I'm not interested in looking for a new job at this late stage, if that would even be doable at 62. Nope, this will be the last one, whether it ends soon, or in another couple of years.

So, I'm just biding my time and hoping I don't have to make that difficult choice.
That was me. Just playing it by ear because life was good WFH. Until the decree came down. I'm going to propose going PT. If they don't go for that, I think I'm out. I simply don't have it in me at this age and stage of my life. WFH spoiled me; there's no going back!

Old 03-28-2021, 08:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Absent medicare (age 65 etc) rather few can afford to leave their jobs.
Covid, WFH etc have NO BEARING on this reality.
Many options for HC apart from employment. More coming soon.

The easiest of several I tried were HC Cost sharing network. ~$300/ month for 2.

Wish they offered a Medicare 'suppliment' plan.

International living is an option, tho more trouble if you add a policy, rather than self pay. Best to live international for medical if you have several years before age 65. I bailed at age 49, back when we actually had "affordable HC". Before A(?)CA.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:03 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Our 2 DBAs put in for retirement after we started back at the office. Scary as hell as they are both critical employees. At least one is waiting until June to leave - hopefully we'll have their replacements by then. But SO much knowledge is walking out the door.

Apparently they would rather hve them walk out the door than let them work from home.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:04 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Yeah, I'm done. But has less to do with the pandemic than it does our two parents that died (not of covid) a month before the pandemic killed my job. "Blessed" with inheritances that put us over the edge (I'd rather have our folks back even though they could be frustrating!).

My husband could choose to do something else like work PT but he's getting a job offer for an even more demanding job tomorrow. He's just one of those types...

Old 03-28-2021, 09:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
...are an example of the 'rather few' mentioned. BFD

Using outliers as exemplars is a FREQUENT issue in the forums.

I'm failing to see where anyone used anything as "exemplars". The question was simply asked if people thought those who were closer to retirement or on the fence might decide to go ahead and retire rather than return to the office.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:47 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I wish it did...I'm not looking forward to going back in to work, even though my commute is minimal. But I need to work for another 5 years...sigh.
I'm in the same boat. I have a few more years to go myself. My wife is talking about cutting back to part time, so that negates any thoughts I had of going earlier.

Oh well... Hopefully the next few years will just click away like mileposts on the interstate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement