Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 02:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
At age 61, I hired on at an Amazon distribution warehouse; I've lived with a well-documented physical issue (severe scoliosis) since the age of ten. Hiring persons such as myself scores some points for Amazon, but I was given to understand that while I could sample several roles, performance standards would not be relaxed, and while not formally admitted, my age precluded any advancement toward a management role, possession of a degree in logisitics notwithstanding.
No, it probably wasn't your age. A 40 year old degree is no longer pertinent. Unless you had prior management experience in your decades of working warehouses, your background on paper looks like you've never been management material in a warehouse. It would be odd for them to take a chance on you after all this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 03:32 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
I'm in my mid-50s and had this discussion with a client a few years ago. He was my age and actually tended to want people our age in the office. It was a part time position and he felt that people of this age looking for part time work were more inclined to stay for years if treated right, as opposed to someone younger who would want to "move up" eventually. I have found that to be the case in smaller family-oriented businesses, so I haven't really had a hard time with work.

But I have had a more difficult time learning software than I used to. Admittedly some of the situations I've been thrown into have been incredibly complex but I feel that 20+ years ago I would have figured it out. OTOH I wasn't the only one beating my head against the wall, so maybe it's not me.

It could be I'm just simply tired of technology and it's impact on my life, and feel the desire to step back now that I'm older. I was in IT for 20 years and now at clients I feign ignorance if they ask me computer questions. I just don't want to get wrapped up in it. (they don't hire me for computer work anyway)

Old 05-01-2021, 03:43 PM

6,363 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Most likely nothing to do with your age, 50’s can be your prime time when considering experience and confidence in yourself and your career. There might be something else going on do you should definitely do what you can to determine the cause.

The old adage is very true; if you think you can, you can and if you think you can’t then you definitely can’t❗️

Don’t count yourself out so quickly.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:57 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Resist the urge to overthink things. Some of the new technology can seem very intimidating but once you start to use it you realize how it can simplify a job. A lot of the pen and paper, calculating and thinking that we used to do is now done for us. Most of it is user friendly once you figure out how to use it but it can make you feel slow and confused when you are first figuring it all out. For the younger generation, they grew up with technology and used it throughout school and on through college, it's all easy breezey second nature for them and about as complicated to them as operating a soda machine. Or so it seems!

Old 05-01-2021, 04:31 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
........For the younger generation, they grew up with technology and used it throughout school and on through college, it's all easy breezey second nature for them and about as complicated to them as operating a soda machine. Or so it seems!
That notion is well out of date. Computerization of the workplace started in earnest during the early 90s. Most of us had home computers at least a few years afterwards. That was 30 years ago.

No I did not grow up with a computer. I did not have one in school but learning to use a computer is hardly difficult. Applications and programs are designed to be powerful and easy.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:27 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That notion is well out of date. Computerization of the workplace started in earnest during the early 90s. Most of us had home computers at least a few years afterwards. That was 30 years ago.

No I did not grow up with a computer. I did not have one in school but learning to use a computer is hardly difficult. Applications and programs are designed to be powerful and easy.
There were computers back then, not saying that there weren't. We had PCs at our desks and were on a network, we had a help desk, etc. Believe it or not, I used to work in a database environment with programmers. I wasn't a programmer, myself, but I worked closely with them. There is definitely new technology today that a person returning to the workforce after a long break would have to adapt to.

Most of it is not that hard to learn but it can be intimidating for someone who has not worked with it. Once you do learn it, it's pretty easy breezey.

I'm not sure what kind of challenges the Op is facing, but if they are suddenly in a position working with unfamiliar technology I can see why they might feel a bit slow to comprehend.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:22 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
I was a city clerk and hired poll workers for all of our elections.

Most were older, retired folks who had their days free and were happy to serve and make a little cash. Many did it for decades.

Guess what happened when we moved to electronic voting in 2005? Yup. They all declined my invitation to work. They were intimidated by the computer technology.

Since then it’s been very difficult sign pollworkers up. Another reason Vote By Mail - is a good thing - because the folks at most county /municipal elections are much younger and adaptive to the technology.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:38 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

It does make a difference though. In therapy now, we are often required to take iPad minis with us when working with patients, and to do their notes and documentation while working with them. This takes me forever (age 59) while the "kids" can type 100x faster than I can. I have a hard time using my thumbs to type, too. Even on the computer they are much faster than I am, because they have been keyboarding since they were preschool age.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It does make a difference though. In therapy now, we are often required to take iPad minis with us when working with patients, and to do their notes and documentation while working with them. This takes me forever (age 59) while the "kids" can type 100x faster than I can. I have a hard time using my thumbs to type, too. Even on the computer they are much faster than I am, because they have been keyboarding since they were preschool age.
I've seen some of this.

One of the executives I work with at my job isn't really that good with computers. I work closely with him and it takes him forever to do things like navigate folder in our server, copy and paste things, integrate programs together and view maps and drawings. Things I can do very easily.

I feel SO bad for him because his workload is by FAR the biggest out of anybody in our company and it's just that much more because of his deficiency with computers.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:54 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
I posted this on Work and Employment forum but I feel like I might get more relevant answers here. When I hit 50 I feel like I got significantly less calls for interviews when job searching. At the same time, I feel like my mind is not as sharp as it once was and it's harder for me to learn and retain a lot of new, complex information, so I'm hesitant to apply for jobs that are complex and difficult, tho before I would never have thought twice about that.
Just wondering what people's experiences have been when they got older as related to your employment.
Remembering some of your other posts - you seem to be job hopping and do not really want to work anymore. Red flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement