Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 05:38 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The truth is, younger workers will just do as they are told. .........
That is not what I have seen. Just the opposite. Younger workers tend to be a lot more skeptical and are more likely to look out after themselves. For some of old timers it took a long time before we realized corporate America has minimal commitment to workers long term.

For me managing younger workers was a whole lot different than managing older workers. The younger workers realized it was not likely that they would work at the same place for more than a few years. They were more concerned about flexibility in the workplace, being treated well and gaining experience, recommendations and contacts for when they were looking for the next job.

They were not at all content to do as they were told but wanted more input in how the work was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 05:44 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's odd.
Go over to the "politics" forums and people are all excited about attracting young people "because we want their young, fresh ideas."
But here on the retirement forum we feel threatened because "everyone wants younger workers."
The truth is, younger workers will just do as they are told. No one wants their crummy ideas; employers just want them to do as they are told and not make things difficult by quitting.

Thank God I am retired.
I don't know that it's true that everyone is looking for younger workers. I haven't really experienced that, myself, and I've seen enough instances where older people are, in fact, hired for all sorts of positions. Older workers tend to bring experience and know how to the table and younger workers bring drive, energy and innovation. I don't think that the younger workers' ideas are crummy at all. In fact, as an older worker I'm finding that I can learn an awful lot from them.

As for me, personally, and I am not speaking for anyone else, just myself. At 55 I no longer have the drive to get promoted and rise through the ranks like I did when I was younger. I know that I'm a short timer and I am fine just doing the job I was hired to do. I realize that is not the case for many people my age, it is the case for me, though.

I can absolutely see why the politics folks are happy to bring the energy of youth on board - they are the future and we can't forget that.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:54 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sorry the world left your behind...or you were just not interested in keeping up. Kids rarely even have classical keyboarding skills although we did make our daughters learn before they were allowed to use computers for any other purpose. The hunt and peck style seems to be way more prevalent. I was about 15 when I learned keyboarding in school. I was never really fast but could certainly do about 50plus words/minute almost error free.

Thumbing is a whole different skill and it does take some time and practice. How many hours have you put into learning aside from the time you are required to do so at work?
I type things on the phone all the time and have been for years now, so that's practice. Half the time here I am typing on my phone. It doesn't get easier and I still get typos I have to go back and correct. But I also have arthritis in my thumbs and that doesn't help. Even with practice though I am never going to be as good at it as a generation that grew up doing it since toddlerhood. It's the difference between learning a language at a very young age and learning it late in life. The later in life person is simply never going to be as fluent as the person who learns it very young.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:40 PM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
My two cents...

I've been burned many times. I'll get a new boss, and he'll push to put his stamp on the place. He'll insist on some new software or theory or whatever, and I'll have to hurry up and learn it. Why? Because it's critical, the thing that's been missing, the thing that's going to turn it around, etc. Two years later the boss will take a better offer elsewhere, and the *next* new boss may start by explaining to us why the last guy's approach was doomed to fail all along---as a prelude to pitching *his* new idea.

I'm skeptical that I'm going to learn something earth shattering. I'll listen and all that, usually trying to figure out if compliance will be required, documented, etc.

As I get closer to retirement, I realize that hard work pays off in the future but procrastination pays off right now. Looking back over the years, how many times has the sky not fallen? How many deadlines weren't as inflexible as initially thought? How many "must do" were really "should try to do" and things like that? The closer I get to retirement, the more I push back.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
.....The closer I get to retirement, the more I push back.
With your long story and years of frustration, why didn't you move on?

Old 05-02-2021, 09:44 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
One of my favorite bosses was younger than I was. I LOVED working with him.
He was younger by about 20 years. But we got along famously. I taught him pretty much everything he knew about election administration. We never had communication problems different generations suffer.

I knew that my time was short - and that retirement was on the horizon when many of my coworkers - some of them older - asked me to text them information - or used texting as a means of communication. This boss never did.

First - I did not have a phone service paid for by my employer and I sure as hell was not going to pay for data for my phone. I HATED the idea of having to type on a tiny keyboard.

It seemed an anathema to everything I was about. TO this day - neither I nor my spouse text. And we SAVE A BUNDLE on our phone plans because of it.

My bosses never required that I text them - because they were never going to pay for my phone....

I’m grateful.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
.....TO this day - neither I nor my spouse text. And we SAVE A BUNDLE on our phone plans because of it.
Your "savings" seem to be something that occurred decades in the past. Texting requires virtually no data and most providers offer their lowest priced option as "talk and text", typically unlimited. I would not get very far with talk only even if it were available. My daughters do not pick up the phone and I have followed their lead. Most of us come to enjoy the freedom of avoiding dropping everything to pick up the phone. Instead I check for messages frequently, but when convenient. If a phone call is desired we schedule at a convenient time by using texting.

I cannot imagine not having a comprehensive cellphone plan. Mine is unlimited or at least as close to that as possible. I use the phone to check texts, emails, the weather, appointments and much more on a daily basis. When I travel my phone is even more important. I use maps and nav programs, locate and arrange for motels or camping, shopping, rest and fuel stops, etc. The cellphone even becomes a hotspot so I have internet access for my computer. Even for a short day trip, the cellphone provides my access for remote doctor's virtual visits and the numerous Zoom classes and panels.

I could save a bundle by giving up my car, but I like the opportunities and freedom it provides.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:33 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
My husband and I both took new jobs at 60. He is 66 and still working. He gets calls from head hunters still for new positions. I gave my notice in January that I am retiring this summer. They have interviewed some people in their 60s to replace me.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:20 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
The first thing I noticed is that I just couldn't wear my usual formal work clothing anymore... It was as if my body retired before my mind did and refused to be uncomfortable. About two years ago, I transitioned to a sort of "uniform" of my own invention... Neat-looking but comfy knits, sneakers; yes, even the middle-agers' elastic waistband. Five tops and two bottoms in different colors and a knit jacket to wear inside when the a/c was too cool (all summer). I felt as cozy as if I were still at home in my PJs, yet I looked presentable ENOUGH to get away with it at the office. Then, of course, came COVID and I actually *was* at home in my PJs for over a year. After that, there was no going back. When we were recalled 100% to the workplace, I found even my knit "uniform" repugnant, along with other changes that had taken place in management, staff, philosophy, and procedure, and that was it; I knew it was time.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:42 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
It seemed an anathema to everything I was about. TO this day - neither I nor my spouse text. And we SAVE A BUNDLE on our phone plans because of it.

Texting on our iPhones doesn't cost us anything. Landscapers, handymen, plumbers, etc. have for some time insisted only on communication by text, so they have a record of your address and your request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement