Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Happy with the move in retirement?
Yes, no regrets best thing for me 66 62.86%
No, would have been happier in my home state 3 2.86%
Yes, but I split my time between my new home and old one 11 10.48%
No, my original areas was going down hill 2 1.90%
Yes, but I go back to visit family often 5 4.76%
No, I miss my family terribly 0 0%
Yes, I moved south 22 20.95%
Yes, I moved north 15 14.29%
Yes, but I have multiple residences 7 6.67%
No, and I can't get back now so I'm stuck in hell 5 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 09:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,873,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
I am in Phoenix. We had the doors and windows OPEN since about 430 this morning. The weather has been great the last month. Yes, it's 105 in the afternoon, but we don't have to deal with the dang humidity. And, it cools off a little after dark.

I wouldn't trade Arizona's dry heat weather for Florida's humidity anytime! :-)
I am in El Paso and we didn't turn the A/C on until about noon and now turning it off before going to bed. Have the window open and a ceiling fan to sleep. It will be in upper 60s in the morning.

It is a "dry heat" . LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 09:45 PM

863 posts, read 797,368 times
We moved to Florida to be near friends. However, I am having such major allergy issues we will probably be moving again. We should have moved to Arizona in the first place, but didn't, lesson learned. Lot's of great things about Florida, but if you find out your allergic to almost every tree and mold, not a good place for your health.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:39 PM

16,126 posts, read 10,801,858 times
I moved 1000 miles west 13 years after I retired. As a surviving spouse it made sense to downsize and since I always wanted to move west, that is what I chose to do. I have a small acreage and a smallish house about 15 miles northwest of Albuquerque that suits me. I never looked back. I visit my “home” state about every two years or so to see family and friends. I keep up with friends from three different places I have lived - making new friends was not hard. Strangely, the hardest part was finding a church I like. Nothing seems like my old church of 35 years.

At 5500 feet elevation this is a Goldilocks high desert climate...much better than the humid Midwest. I don’t have AC but use an evaporative swamp cooler as the humidity is always quite low and I like having windows open. High desert nights are always cool. Swamp coolers are more efficient and cheaper than AC unless you have allergies and need to keep your windows closed. We might hit 100 degrees sometime in June for a few hours a day or two but humidity is often single digits.

The only thing I miss is the food that I enjoyed back in my home state. I’ve heard other people say the same thing.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:55 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,946,031 times
We stayed in our home state, and so far we are pretty happy with that decision. For us, happiness comes from within so that worked out for us.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:40 AM

19,075 posts, read 14,013,809 times
Moved within months, although not very far because of family/work. My "retirement" happened much earlier than expected, so my wife still works and I grabbed a part-time gig that was offered.

I'd dreamt of moving south or west for years, having traveled extensively while in the Army, but life happens and that's not in the cards unless my kids eventually set up shop somewhere we decide to follow.

As for the move we did make: no brainer. Similar overall costs but much larger house and yard (which we always wanted). Lifestyle is more laid back, less restrictive, more along the lines of the people we are, close to beaches, away from disagreeable politics and increasing crime. While we may move again down the line, for our circumstances now, it was the right choice without question.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-06-2021, 09:28 AM

68 posts, read 166,747 times
We have no regrets with our move when my husband retired. I'm a nurse so still working part time. Originally we moved full time to Florida, I missed our children and grandchildren to much, so we sold our larger home in Florida, downsized, bought a smaller place in Florida and have a small place in Ohio near our family. We spend 7-8 months in Florida and the rest in Ohio. Now we have to best of both worlds, it's what works for us!

Old 06-06-2021, 11:28 AM

124 posts, read 109,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
However, life is a lot more complicated than a checklist can cover.
This is SO true! That's why these internet "surveys" saying what town/state/county best suits you is complete BS... Fun to do.. but BS

Old 06-06-2021, 11:41 AM

11,082 posts, read 6,678,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I moved 1000 miles west 13 years after I retired. As a surviving spouse it made sense to downsize and since I always wanted to move west, that is what I chose to do. I have a small acreage and a smallish house about 15 miles northwest of Albuquerque that suits me. I never looked back. I visit my “home” state about every two years or so to see family and friends. I keep up with friends from three different places I have lived - making new friends was not hard. Strangely, the hardest part was finding a church I like. Nothing seems like my old church of 35 years.

At 5500 feet elevation this is a Goldilocks high desert climate...much better than the humid Midwest. I don’t have AC but use an evaporative swamp cooler as the humidity is always quite low and I like having windows open. High desert nights are always cool. Swamp coolers are more efficient and cheaper than AC unless you have allergies and need to keep your windows closed. We might hit 100 degrees sometime in June for a few hours a day or two but humidity is often single digits.

The only thing I miss is the food that I enjoyed back in my home state. I’ve heard other people say the same thing.
I sort of miss that climate. We had the same high desert in SE Utah and just using a swamp cooler is so nice and cheap! Never a humid moment, lol.

But I recall the food in NM as being my favorite of the whole nation! Blue corn tortillas....

I wonder what former foods you are missing?

Old 06-06-2021, 12:13 PM

253 posts, read 378,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post

Back in the early 80's I think we once counted 8 traffic lights between the keys and Gainesville along 27. Used to be a beautiful, sleepy drive. Boy how times have changed. There's probably 8 lights in Ocala alone now.
There are probably 888 traffic lights in Ocala now! We wintered there for a few years and still have a condo in the area.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:10 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
We moved to Florida to be near friends. However, I am having such major allergy issues we will probably be moving again. We should have moved to Arizona in the first place, but didn't, lesson learned. Lot's of great things about Florida, but if you find out your allergic to almost every tree and mold, not a good place for your health.

Sorry to hear about your allergies. I can relate.

I got away from the birch trees at the old place. Now I'm allergic to desert wildflowers. There's not much else in Arizona that starts me sneezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement