Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Happy with the move in retirement?
Yes, no regrets best thing for me 66 62.86%
No, would have been happier in my home state 3 2.86%
Yes, but I split my time between my new home and old one 11 10.48%
No, my original areas was going down hill 2 1.90%
Yes, but I go back to visit family often 5 4.76%
No, I miss my family terribly 0 0%
Yes, I moved south 22 20.95%
Yes, I moved north 15 14.29%
Yes, but I have multiple residences 7 6.67%
No, and I can't get back now so I'm stuck in hell 5 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 01:32 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,040,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Well, living with humidity readings in the mid-teens or lower is about like living in an oven. It's terrible for your skin, dries everything out, and very little greenery (trees, bushes, grass, etc) in that kind of parched climate. You can have all the desert climate you want. I prefer greener landscapes. To each his own.

C'mon, first you make the foolish comment comparing 90 degree temps out west with similar degree temps in Florida, and now this post about what it's like to live in "the desert." Have you ever done so? Have you ever even spent any time out west when it's hot? As someone who's lived in both Las Vegas and Florida, I can state categorically that here's really no comparison. Ninety degree days in Florida are exponentially worse than spending time in similar temps out west. I much prefer Las Vegas's triple-digit, mostly dry heat to muggy, humid, Florida in the summer.

And as for your statement that there's very little in the way of trees, bushes, grass, etc., here's a short video showcasing a subdevelopment my neighborhood in Las Vegas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dUC...asrealestatenv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 01:51 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,328,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
C'mon, first you make the foolish comment comparing 90 degree temps out west with similar degree temps in Florida, and now this post about what it's like to live in "the desert." Have you ever done so? Have you ever even spent any time out west when it's hot? As someone who's lived in both Las Vegas and Florida, I can state categorically that here's really no comparison. Ninety degree days in Florida are exponentially worse than spending time in similar temps out west. I much prefer Las Vegas's triple-digit, mostly dry heat to muggy, humid, Florida in the summer.

And as for your statement that there's very little in the way of trees, bushes, grass, etc., here's a short video showcasing a subdevelopment my neighborhood in Las Vegas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dUC...asrealestatenv
This post just shows that we all have different perspectives and preferences. I'm not crazy about Florida, but don't think we could live in Las Vegas either because of the summer heat and low humidity. Your photo shows trees, bushes, grass, etc., that would likely die was it not for irrigation. Even with irrigation, there is a difference in their appearance from those in other parts of the country that receive more rain. There is no substitute for adequate natural moisture for the well-being of plants and trees.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:52 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,674,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have found the winters to be just fine. The constant sun is blasting most days and I have no heating bills due to the eastern sun in my house. While I don't ski or anything, I do find the snow to be acceptable, unlike the heavy wet snows of the East. Actually, I find the summers here at 7,000 feet too hot in the afternoons. I actually got air conditioning, which used to be unheard of here. What a wuss.
I found the Front Range of Colorado to be way too dry---and I like dryness. I was happy in SE Utah, for some reason the dryness of CO cracked my lips, heels and just did a number on my skin. I remember being SOOO hot building our house, I laid down with bare skin on the tile floor to try and cool off (a/c not installed yet). I didn't mind the dry snow much but the severe wind and snow in June or Sept. makes it hard to grow anything. I remember my sweet corn getting leveled by the incessant wind.

Although it is green half the year here, it never rains---just lightly drizzles at night, not during the day! Then the "dry jungle" gets brown the other half of the year. Much nicer to look at when it's green half the year.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 PM

35,121 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Going forward, much of the West is going to be increasingly unlivable due to a lack of water.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:32 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,846,086 times
Moved from Central California to West Maui 7 years ago and love it here!

Just Googled to discover that our average humidity is 71%. Guess humidity doesn't bother me.

I enjoy the warm climate and am open-air 95+% of the time using A/C only on hot summer afternoons. When it occasionally gets cool, we close the windows.

If I never see snow again I won't miss it even though I was an avid skier.

The thing I miss most is square footage. My California home was 4 bedroom, but my Maui condo has only one (and cost more). The other thing I miss is regular, long road trips.

Then again, I can see the ocean as I type this while sitting in my living room. A home like I had in Ca. would be several $million over here so I make do.

Covid-19 has kept me on the island for too long, Soon I will begin traveling again!

Meanwhile, it's time for a dip in the ocean!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 06-09-2021 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 02:39 PM

6,057 posts, read 3,777,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Yeah, and here's what it looks like once you step outside of the artificial irrigated developments. And this is one of the better scenes.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:05 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
High desert is pretty green right now. Flowers everywhere. It's prettier than one might expect. After a rain the smell of sage permeates the air. But yeah, having 72 mature trees on the pproperty helps. We are adding more evergreens so we have greenery in winter.

Moving from Hawaii here, I've had to up the moisturizer and all but buy it in 55 gallon drums. But my hair is awesome,
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-09-2021, 03:07 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Yeah, and here's what it looks like once you step outside of the artificial irrigated developments. And this is one of the better scenes.
Not everywhere. Are mountains are pretty green and lots of flowers. A bunch of areas lost there trees to fire though
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-09-2021, 03:07 PM

124 posts, read 108,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Going forward, much of the West is going to be increasingly unlivable due to a lack of water.
Toilet to tap in many places already...

Or, shower to flower as the mayor of LA states it.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:25 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,846,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
High desert is pretty green right now. Flowers everywhere. It's prettier than one might expect. After a rain the smell of sage permeates the air. But yeah, having 72 mature trees on the pproperty helps. We are adding more evergreens so we have greenery in winter.

Moving from Hawaii here, I've had to up the moisturizer and all but buy it in 55 gallon drums. But my hair is awesome,
In California, I always had cracks in my heels, and foot odor that forced me to machine wash my running shoes weekly. I also showered twice a day.

Here in Maui all that went away. I could wear shoes for years with no smell, and no more cracks in my heels.

I think it has something to do with the mineral composition of the water because it returns when I visit for several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement