Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 06:45 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,147,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
When I needed passport photo, and "borrowed" a clip-on necktie off the rack at WalMart., before heading to the photo desk. I always wear collared button-shirts, so that worked.
Why in the world would you need a tie, clip-on or otherwise, for a passport photo? Do you also dress up for your driver's license photo or any other photo ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 08:10 AM

4,216 posts, read 3,149,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Why in the world would you need a tie, clip-on or otherwise, for a passport photo? Do you also dress up for your driver's license photo or any other photo ID?
Now there's an idea. When I renew my driver's license in 2024, maybe I should dress up as Rich Uncle Pennybags from the Monopoly game.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:45 AM

10,645 posts, read 12,241,806 times
Quote:
Not for the passport photo, but I DO debate (think about) whether or not to dress "better" when I travel (fly)....because people DO judge a person by the way they look. And if I'm going to ask for an upgrade, (or even be addressed with a bit more respect) I think I have a heck of a lot better chance at getting it if I'm "dressed" up (look like I'm traveling for business) than if I look like a bum.

I do NOT dress for business. I just think about it....and ultimately decide it's not worth dressing up....to just take my chances with the masses of all the other shrubs.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:02 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,666,136 times
Quote:
Why would you dress up for a job interview? Peoople who look at your passport are usually in a position to determine arbitrarily whether you will have a nice day or not. People who can tell you to take everything out of your car. You present a favorable view of yourself. Or even to make them think you feel comfortable dressed like wealth/power.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:41 AM

15,258 posts, read 13,087,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Christmas parties. Rhinestones, sequins, sparkle.
Nice! I remember the last Christmas party I went to. I bought a Renaissance Faire-type top in burgundy and matching skirt from Agan Traders on Amazon. I still have the outfit but now it's too big for me.

I have half a closet full of evening wear I'd worn on various cruises. It's all going to a thrift store.

I can't wear high heels any more, but there are comfortable mid-height cushioned dance heels (i.e. Capezio and other brands) that entertainers wear on stage. I used to buy them for square dancing.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:25 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,147,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Why would you dress up for a job interview? Peoople who look at your passport are usually in a position to determine arbitrarily whether you will have a nice day or not. People who can tell you to take everything out of your car. You present a favorable view of yourself. Or even to make them think you feel comfortable dressed like wealth/power.
So you think a relatively low paid border guard or customs agent is going to be impressed. Maybe it works the other way and they are happy to give a hard time to some rich snob who wants to look like they have wealth and power.

Maybe you also need to try driving across the border with a rich man's car such as a Mercedes or Maserati. See if that helps.

I have crossed Canadian and Mexican borders numerous times and have never had any issues except just some questions about the nature of the trip.

Job interviews are entirely different. If is important to dress the part. If you are going to work in an environment requiring a coat and tie or suit, then surely that is important at interview time.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,453,680 times
I think the last time I dressed up was for a Christmas get together last year. By "dressed up" I mean broke out the fancy blouse, black pants, flats, pearls, etc. I don't remember the last time I wore a dress though. Literally. Is that sad? I don't FEEL sad about it!

I have always been tall, so I didn't wear heels much as a young woman, and now I don't wear them at all. But I do have some very nice, expensive leather flats that I wear regularly when I also break out the skinny black pants and various tops. (I only wear one top at a time though - sorry to disappoint! LOL.)

I am sure I'll dress up for Thanksgiving dinner and also for Christmas this year as well. I usually wear jeans and a cute top to church the rest of the year, and I wear business casual stuff when I teach, which is once a week. Right now I'm wearing yoga pants (and I actually do yoga in them sometimes) and a T shirt - I've been working in the yard. I'll put on something cute ish when I go out later to buy Halloween candy and that sort of thing. But NO DRESSING UP.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:00 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,560,751 times
Interesting thread. After I retired I took my 2 best suits and had them dry cleaned, then I kept them wrapped until I needed one for a wedding or a funeral. My nephew is getting married in Texas and apparently suits won't be worn, just dress shirts/pants. I'm cool with that.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:14 AM

65 posts, read 39,729 times
If I'd look out of place in jeans, I don't wanna go.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:22 AM

5,236 posts, read 4,708,218 times
Went out for our tenth anniversary last night, I wore a sweater, dark blue jeans, Allen Edmonds shoes and a dark blue corduroy sport jacket, wife wore her usual dress up stuff that always looks great, neither of us were uncomfortable or overdressed for the occasion. I can't help but note the sloppiness of so many men these days, poor fitting clothes, inappropriate choices such as wearing as a ball cap throughout dinner, sports team gear when out at a nice restaurant, shoes that look as though they were worn out, what causes these folks to shun dressing for the occasion.

The only answer I have brings me back to my younger years when friends and acquaintances expressed a profound sartorial ignorance, some hadn't even bought any other shoes than their favorite Nikes, or worse, a worn out pair of cheap uncomfortable "dress shoes." Most hadn't got around to buying any clothing that may require some knowledge of how they were supposed to fit, wearing suits/slacks that were way to full or too skinny.

It wasn't that they didn't know that others were dressed better, it's simply a matter of knowing how to buy clothing, VS not knowing. I grew into my adult years around the big city night life of the early sixties and seventies, people were dressed up in the trends of that time, no suits after the early sixties, but moreover, a more casual look for both men and women. Today I see poorly attired men out with their wives, girlfriends, the women are usually very well dressed, but the men are so clueless appearing, as though they may have been caught unaware of the fact that they were going out on a date.

Yeah, I get the whole "comfortable thing" and abide by that when Im kickin around the house or out for a lunch date or sporting event, but, at the least I know what to wear when out to a theater or fine dining venue. Young men are not being raised to understand the finer points of socializing and suffer that lacking to a point that finds them excluded from any serious dating. I have twenty seven year old grandsons who often look as though they just rolled out of bed, just clueless as to their appearance and how that may be affecting their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement