Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 01:50 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,541,558 times

Advertisements

I mean ladies..that "little black dress (or whatever color), the string of cultured black pearls taken out of the safe deposit box.
And gents, you're not excused: that Sunday best suit, the gold 7 diamond Rolex watch, and the mirror finished spit shined dress shoes...or maybe the wing tips.

In retirement, you can get away with wearing whatever you like.
Even stay in PJs all day if you're not going out (hopefully changed at least daily).

Because I lost a lot of weight, and had the skin reduction surgery, even though a dress shirt and tie was required for my work at the hotel, they were now all to big.

I bought one new white dress shirt in my smaller size, and because I now wear casual dress pants and casual button down shirt to work, I began to wonder how often I really need a "dress shirt".
I tried to buy a blazer jacket not to long ago, but I'm now a "tween" size. I had a couple"fat suits", but now that I can buy in regular men's wear shop, it's hard, especially with short arms requiring the sleeves to be altered.. almost costing as much as the jacket.

In most cases, I can get away with the casual dress pants and shirts.

So it got me wondering...when was the last time any of you"dressed up"?

Today is Sunday... maybe this morning to church?

Let's see what we can find out about needing "dress clothes".

(Sorry tux rental for your kids wedding doesn't count, as you rented it. This is for "reach in my closet and go"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 02:08 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,205,057 times
Jury day back in August 19. Dress in clothes that honor the nature of these affairs.....and to look like a cold hard detective. A and B. A: I was the only one there of the selectees in a "suit". B: They did exclude me from the selection but more from the stand point of me making it very clear what the court was getting.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:11 PM

2,149 posts, read 3,085,827 times
Mom's funeral, December 2019, right before Covid started rearing its head. Dressed up for the wake too. Before that, I think it had to be a business function before my husband retired in 2017.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:15 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,147,215 times
I retired at the beginning of 2011. About a year later I went to a relative's wedding and, according to my wife, the minimum was what I wore: a blue blazer, white shirt and a tie and black shoes leftover from when I worked. In 2017 my younger daughter got married. I wore the old tie, white shirt and black shoes. I was required to buy a suit. I wore it that afternoon and it has been hanging in a wardrobe case ever since. I have not wore a tie or dress shoes, wool suit or jacket since then.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:21 PM

8,839 posts, read 5,171,799 times
Maybe a year ago, to go to a wedding. I don`t mind dressing up....it`s just the shoes...ouch.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:29 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,038,952 times
Rosh Hashanah (Jewish new year), a month and a half ago, I went to synagogue. Dress, pantyhose, heels — the full catastrophe! (As Zorba the Greek said, although not about pantyhose.)

Old 10-24-2021, 03:37 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,656,356 times
This is a touchy subject for me.

I went to 12 years of Catholic school & each day I wore a suit jacket, white shirt, tie & dress shoes (for 3 years, jr high years, jackets were eliminated). High school was in the late 1960's with the loosening attitudes about appearance in society & I was a typical moody teen wanting some measure of freedom. We didn't wear a uniform anymore in high school but we were expected to dress in conservative, business style suits. Just like a middle-aged businessman from 1960 except we were teenagers in 1968.

The combination of my family's meager income & my growth spurts meant I wore the cheapest possible apparel, probably all synthetics, it was very uncomfortable & hot, from ages 4-17. I graduated high school & I have almost no memory of graduation day or the ceremony or much else, but I have a quite vivid memory of promising myself that was the end of my suit wearing days. I have kept to that promise including pursuing a good career where I could wear jeans, just as I do the rest of my time.

The dress code at the high school was eased up a bit the year after my graduation, we boys must have been a continual PITA about this restriction. (Now the boys wear polo shirts & sneakers.) I have worn/bought the occasional suit, typically for some misadventure involving a church: wedding, funeral, etc., And when my late mother won an award 13 years ago I was able to find a suit that fit fine at Burlington Coat Factory, of all places, for its one time use.

Now I simply wear a sports coat with black Levis & a black t-shirt if its a "dressy" occasion. My fear is some clueless relation will dress me in a suit for my funeral & I will spend eternity wearing a tie.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:38 PM

899 posts, read 785,709 times
Christmas party December 2019. I dress for church every week, but not a little black dress type dress up. I’m hoping we will be able to have a few small dress up functions this year.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,609,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I mean ladies..that "little black dress (or whatever color), the string of cultured black pearls taken out of the safe deposit box.
And gents, you're not excused: that Sunday best suit, the gold 7 diamond Rolex watch, and the mirror finished spit shined dress shoes...or maybe the wing tips.

In retirement, you can get away with wearing whatever you like.
Even stay in PJs all day if you're not going out (hopefully changed at least daily).

Because I lost a lot of weight, and had the skin reduction surgery, even though a dress shirt and tie was required for my work at the hotel, they were now all to big.

I bought one new white dress shirt in my smaller size, and because I now wear casual dress pants and casual button down shirt to work, I began to wonder how often I really need a "dress shirt".
I tried to buy a blazer jacket not to long ago, but I'm now a "tween" size. I had a couple"fat suits", but now that I can buy in regular men's wear shop, it's hard, especially with short arms requiring the sleeves to be altered.. almost costing as much as the jacket.

In most cases, I can get away with the casual dress pants and shirts.

So it got me wondering...when was the last time any of you"dressed up"?

Today is Sunday... maybe this morning to church?

Let's see what we can find out about needing "dress clothes".

(Sorry tux rental for your kids wedding doesn't count, as you rented it. This is for "reach in my closet and go"!
I don’t know where the the OP lives ( and what year she is referencing) but wow! Let’s start with church. I am up front playing music. Nice jeans, dress shirt. Mind you, we are talking a Lutheran church. Most are wearing Friday casual. Of course the pastor in in a robe.

Who wears a Rolex these days except the insecure newly well off? Nobody does wrist watches, unless it is a fitness watch.

Pearls can be nice, but consider selling them while there is still a market.

The last time I dressed up was for court representing the County in a matter. That was before I retired

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-24-2021 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 04:28 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
A funeral two weeks ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement