Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 11:41 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I think you have too many moon phases. Clearly your poetry and metaphors are beyond our ability to understand.
I enjoy science fiction. (Fantasy, not at all.) I've been reading SF for more than 5 decades and have a preference for post-apocalyptic works. In my writing I never use references to the classics in the genre such as "Alas, Babylon" because I can't know if the reader is familiar with the book and will "get" the reference.

My spouse who is on the spectrum is just beginning to understand -- after 30 years together -- that because he knows a fact it's not automatic that I will know it too. Our brains operate in different ways. The gulf between us makes the Grand Canyon look small.

The goal of writing is to facilitate communication, not hinder it. Do you want to write in a way that amuses you, or do you want to make connections with other people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 11:43 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've also had difficulty comprehending those posts and I'm not too picky.

Not lost in retirement either, although I do and did miss conversations from my former job. Much happier without the stress and alienation of where I was living.

Off to my atheist meeting in town.

Ridgway has enough atheists that there are meetings? Intriguing.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:45 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I really don't understand why people don't understand. Maybe it is my use of metaphoric language. Well, maybe they should ask about the section they don't understand.
You don't need to explain. Pretty much everything you wrote sounds like rantings of a lunatic. These is probably the best example:

"It is something I hope that my fantasy life, being a frontier witch, that my cats, such as the one who stole the pen as I took my daily blood readings and took off down the stairs batting it, prevents, ESPECIALLY if it limits my involvement with the Net. Another thing is, I hope, the ability to take things in good cheer for I more laughed than screamed that she did that and broke into the first lines of The Alligator King...."Said the Alligator King to his 7 sons, I'm feeling rather down. Whichever one of you can cheer me up, will get to wear my crown.".

Of course, since I no longer drink, that helps, too!"

Old 11-07-2021, 11:49 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Quote:

When the clock becomes one with us and only with us, how do we prevent it from getting away from us?

We enjoy living.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:18 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Some of my retirement joy has been postponed due to a radiation treatment related injury that had me hobbling around most of the summer. Not to mention COVID and travel restrictions.
I'm a year and a half into retirement and so far, still love it, although I do have to fight off my own self talk about 'being productive.' I have a few hobbies I engage in, a couple of friends i see when I can, I read and nap whenever I want and the rest of the time, I play it by ear. I futz around been cleaning up around the house, getting rid of extraneous junk. I've worked my entire life so I'm just enjoying not having to answer to anyone or have any responsibilities other than myself, my family, my dog, and the house.
All that said....with all the places that are looking for help.......I'm considering if there is anything I could do or would do that I enjoy. Bookstore? Coffee shop? but all in good time.

I am not lost. If I were to get lost, I have a compass.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,679 times
Say what?

Old 11-07-2021, 04:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Say what?
Basically, I saw two co workers retire and it looked like they entered a time limbo, forgot that the world went on despite them having all the time in the world. How does one avoid that?

Old 11-07-2021, 05:12 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Basically, I saw two co workers retire and it looked like they entered a time limbo, forgot that the world went on despite them having all the time in the world. How does one avoid that?
Are you not also retired?

Old 11-07-2021, 05:16 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Are you not also retired?
Not yet, I am the last survivor of that section.

But seeing what happened to them, maybe I don't want to take that bridge after all....unless there is another answer.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:27 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,526,744 times
A good GPS or Waze can help avoid getting lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement