Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 05:32 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Not yet, I am the last survivor of that section.

But seeing what happened to them, maybe I don't want to take that bridge after all....unless there is another answer.
Well - then just stay as long as possible?

After I retired, I went back to college.

I had always wanted to be a "professional student". Used the GI Bill and when that ended used Voc Rehab. I loved it. Well except having to take tests.

Once I get organized again, I might look into auditing classes. The local jr college lets senior citizens attend free of charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 05:45 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
A good GPS or Waze can help avoid getting lost.
Depends on who holds the GPS.

Years ago, in the first decade of this century, my young step nephew wanted to see my Garmin so I dug it out of my pack and showed him.....and he was vastly disappointed. He wanted, I expect, something that told him, showed him, where he was, that he could ask and it would show him how to get there.

I am, however, trained as a navigator and use such things to give me the lat and long on a map and then figure out my course (or work such as if I am taking samples) from there with my land marks.

Further, I have done intense studies to know how the mind wayfinds https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayfinding . In that studies case, it was for SWAT teams responding to a hostage/school shooting situation so they could rapidly get to their target without being lost....without firing on friendly forces.

Part of that is getting down to the guts of it and figuring out what rules the computer must have programmed into it so it understands how to figure out its way. How does the computer "think"
for what us humans take so easy? ALYSE (Automated Landing System) was a computer system that would "look down" at the ripples on the lake, at the blowing fields of grain, to figure out which way the wind was blowing on the ground so to tell the aircraft how to land into the wind.

We humans look down and we know, but how do you tell a computer that? It had to be all self contained, no dropping smoke or automated windvanes, and it took years to figure out a way.

Long story short of it, you offer a quick, off the cuff answer to the question, an answer from the world who thinks that things are so easy now, and I know much, much, much more about the subject.

Now, in relation to the subject here, such solving of problems may enable one to find purpose in retirement, but it may be quite counter to keeping track of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Well - then just stay as long as possible?

After I retired, I went back to college.

I had always wanted to be a "professional student". Used the GI Bill and when that ended used Voc Rehab. I loved it. Well except having to take tests.

Once I get organized again, I might look into auditing classes. The local jr college lets senior citizens attend free of charge.
The curious thing is......I've earned 3 more degrees in this job. Did it for 20 years when education was cheap (now the rules have changed and it would be very expensive indeed).

One thing about auditing classes, as a guest of the professor, is that you are at his mercy. I did that once.....and he wouldn't grade my papers. So for what I was learning, I didn't know if I was learning its application.

Another thing is that schools don't always like those not of that major taking major classes because......you are taking a seat from a paying student. Been through that route often enough, too.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:46 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
... Boredom? Isolation? "feeling lost"? For many, all of that occurs while working, so it isn't as though we walk through a door from that wonderful work life into the grim realities of retirement. ...
But work, however stifling or inane, provides a solace and surrogate. Even cubicle-life is a distraction from the solitary whispers of fevered self-conversation; the office-din produces a kind of quiet and peace.

All through life, we have patterns set for us. We learn to not defecate in our pants. We learn the moral-precepts, in kindergarten or whatever. We learn the importance of studying, and then of hard-work. All of these lessons are in formal settings, with teachers or at least peers. We have homework, classes, schedules, clocks. And we make achievements... fulfilling our quotas, publishing so many scholarly papers, booking so many sales. We're judged, and judge ourselves. Then what?

Institutional boredom can be blamed on the institution. Personal boredom can only be blamed on our own selves. Who wouldn't wish, for plausible deniability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
... Do you want to write in a way that amuses you, or do you want to make connections with other people?
A question for us all. Subtlety and nuance entail a tinge of the enigmatic. A statement with twice the meaning, may also be taken two ways; but unambiguous things are best left for product-assembly instructions or military orders. The didactic is dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
A good GPS or Waze can help avoid getting lost.
Only if you have a destination in mind.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:32 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Basically, I saw two co workers retire and it looked like they entered a time limbo, forgot that the world went on despite them having all the time in the world. How does one avoid that?
You've got friends, the Internet, and a ranch and pets to take care of. I would think all of those would keep you involved and grounded enough to keep you from getting "lost".

Old 11-07-2021, 06:50 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Personal boredom can only be blamed on our own selves.
Bingo. That hit the nail on the head without flowery language, without metaphors, without ambiguity.

When reaching retirement it is a good time to re-evaluate one's life, to consider interests, passions, things left undone, what we want to learn, what we want to accomplish. At least that is the case for many of us. For others none of that is important. Again, the choices are personal.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:24 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
People do sometimes lose their mental or emotional vitality in retirement. I would caution retirees, especially single or surviving retirees, to not invest all your time and energy in a small bubble of like minded people. An expanded circle of friends and acquaintances with a variety of interests will be more stimulating and offer new ways to look at things. There are also learning in retirement programs (OASIS is one) that are interesting and attract other people of the same age with varied experiences.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:14 PM

10,305 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Retirement?

Sure, lucky if you make "Final Jeopardy!"

But you're up, pacing out on the front porch at 0430, waiting for the paper to arrive!

Is this anyone here? LOL

Old 11-07-2021, 10:31 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
It is rare that I understand any of the OP's posts. It makes me wonder how anyone can actually relate to them at all, in real life.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It is rare that I understand any of the OP's posts. It makes me wonder how anyone can actually relate to them at all, in real life.
I don’t understand everything she writes, but usually get the gist of it.

Much of what TamaraSavannah writes goes over my head and appears to be disjointed and unconnected. She is running on a higher intelligence plane and it’s hard to keep up with her. She clearly knows what she is thinking and expects people to follow her train of thought. That’s difficult as we only see part of her thought processes. She’s like a cryptoquip: we get one letter and have to figure the rest out.

I like a challenge and think she’s worth the effort.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-08-2021 at 05:03 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 06:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Take every opportunity to get lost in learning new things.

Retired gives you more spontaneity opportunities.
Yesterday, I happened upon the Hill Country Sheep Dog Trials, so having the freedom to stop for a few hours, I learned a lot and met some very interesting people. Many were retired, and pursuing their own quest. (Significant dedication and time required to train dogs and attend events many hours from home).

Each of us will have their own journey.

Follow your passions and happy moments. Deal with your fears and escape your self established barriers. Take an annual snapshot to determine where you may be slipping into undesirable and unhealthy habits and recluse. Keep a window open in your life to allow fresh air and fresh thoughts. Listen to those who know and care about you. (There are plenty, if you let them see and know the inner you.)

Best wishes for seeing the light of the next day and the enlightening next chapter of 'your' story.
My sister lives north of SA
She has been to that
Has Border Collies to help with her small flock of sheep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement