Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2022, 09:38 AM

107,307 posts, read 109,695,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I think that's a given that didn't need to be explained. OF COURSE diet and exercise is going to give an edge. Just said it's not a guarantee. I think we all know that by now.
diet and exercise certainly didnt keep my wife and i from being hospitalized .

but the recovery was so much better , since we needed no rehab while other roomates we had had to start building up walking again .

when i was concerned i was having trouble running after covid the pulmonology center sent me to the cardiologist center .

they did a full work up and echo stress .

i aced the echo stress test ..scoring 6-10 is normal , 12 is the highest .

i breezed through level 11 when they stopped it as the cardiologist said no doubt i can do level 12 , there was just no need .

what i lost was the excess capacity i developed that was far above the stress test limits . it took 9 months but i am running more today and faster then precovid.

so the intense cardio i have been doing for years paid off not in keeping us from getting covid , but in recovering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 09:45 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
diet and exercise certainly didnt keep my wife and i from being hospitalized .

but the recovery was so much better , since we needed no rehab while other roomates we had had to start building up walking again .

when i was concerned i was having trouble running after covid the pulmonology center sent me to the cardiologist center .

they did a full work up and echo stress .

i aced the echo stress test ..scoring 6-10 is normal , 12 is the highest .

i breezed through level 11 when they stopped it as the cardiologist said no doubt i can do level 12 , there was just no need .

what i lost was the excess capacity i developed that was far above the stress test limits . it took 9 months but i am running more today and faster then precovid.

so the intense cardio i have been doing for years paid off not in keeping us from getting covid , but in recovering
Glad to hear you are recovering well. My sister is also. Oddly, while she has the family genetic kidney disease (which I escaped), her kidney function went almost to normal while she was in the drug-induced coma on the ventilator. I guess being fed through a tube in her stomach and hydrated via IV was less stress on her kidneys. She was overweight to some degree, but lost 40 pounds while in the hospital. However, she ate healthily and walked regularly before and does again. She always struggled with the weight because of the meds she has to take.

She has a few "long COVID" remains. Her trachea is permanently damaged from the tracheostomy she had after they took her off the vent, and two of the fingers on her left hand don't work. It seems to be neurological. She is back to work, but as a programmer, she needs to use a keyboard, and she keeps hitting the Caps Lock key by accident because of having no control over her little and ring fingers on the left hand.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:48 AM

17,612 posts, read 16,775,621 times
Quote:
the policies today are quite concise and clear as to what the benefits are .. a junior high student can read our ny state partnership plan and understand it fully .

the statistic of how much use ltc policies would get are a generation old …insurers were so far off base and under priced early policies badly as usage was far more then they thought .

the ltc companies today are in very good shape . many want to stay that way so they either got out of the business or are far more selective as to who they take on .

here in ny there are no companies writing ny partnership plans right now , however those with them can be very secure with the insurer finances .

so the fact so many got out is a testament to first off usage is far greater and second these companies want to stay strong so they are very careful.

those that got out of the business are still grand fathering in all policies .

those who waited or didnt do it here in ny missed a fabulous deal if they qualified.

it always amazed me how those with 7 figures in assets and a spouse will leave that to the luck of the draw when it comes to long term care , but they insure a car worth 25k or less with full coverage.

i have a partnership plan with gensworth

The last time I checked Genworth had over $19 Billion in reserves set aside just to pay long term care insurance claims. Reserves are funds that are NOT counted as assets. Reserves can't be touched by creditors (or China Oceanwide). Reserves are used exclusively to pay claims.

Genworth collects about 2.5 Billion in LTCi premiums each year.
They are incurring about $1.5 Billion in LTCi claims each year.
And they have over $19 Billion in LTCi reserves for claims
Out of curiosity how many months does your LTCI provide? Obviously, the insurance companies way underestimated how long people would live and how many people would wind up using their policies to full extent which is the reason so many of the insurance companies got out of the business of selling LTCI policies..

Old 01-03-2022, 10:31 AM

515 posts, read 362,872 times
All the posts assume that after paying premiums for years the insurance company will pay off. If you are elderly and alone, good luck. My parents paid premiums for years. When the time came, the insurance company wanted documents supporting the claim. We would fax them, mail them, call them, you name it. The insurance company would say they never got them, they could not read them, had lost the claim, etc. Only the state insurance regulator helped. That and my sister was a lawyer. Finally they paid, reluctantly. That was my experience. It makes me hesitant to pay premiums for years knowing that insurance companies are often sold, consolidated, and there is no guarantee they will pay anyway. I tend to think that money paid for premiums is better invested and used for expenses later if needed.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Out of curiosity how many months does your LTCI provide? Obviously, the insurance companies way underestimated how long people would live and how many people would wind up using their policies to full extent which is the reason so many of the insurance companies got out of the business of selling LTCI policies..
ours is a special partnership plan .

it provides 3 years of nursing home coverage or 6 years in home care .

but then they created a special version of medicaid to take assignment of your bills once the insurance runs out .

they will pick up your bills

all assets are 100% protected with no look back , spend down or recovery .

plus , and a big plus there is no income restriction on the stay at home spouse like medicaid has .

all well and good you protected a few million in assets but if the stay at home spouse has a restricted impoverished level income you accomplished little .

Old 01-03-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
All the posts assume that after paying premiums for years the insurance company will pay off. If you are elderly and alone, good luck. My parents paid premiums for years. When the time came, the insurance company wanted documents supporting the claim. We would fax them, mail them, call them, you name it. The insurance company would say they never got them, they could not read them, had lost the claim, etc. Only the state insurance regulator helped. That and my sister was a lawyer. Finally they paid, reluctantly. That was my experience. It makes me hesitant to pay premiums for years knowing that insurance companies are often sold, consolidated, and there is no guarantee they will pay anyway. I tend to think that money paid for premiums is better invested and used for expenses later if needed.
this is no different than some experience with any insurance company claims

Old 01-04-2022, 04:10 AM

Quote:
ours is a special partnership plan .

it provides 3 years of nursing home coverage or 6 years in home care .

but then they created a special version of medicaid to take assignment of your bills once the insurance runs out .

they will pick up your bills

all assets are 100% protected with no look back , spend down or recovery .

plus , and a big plus there is no income restriction on the stay at home spouse like medicaid has .

all well and good you protected a few million in assets but if the stay at home spouse has a restricted impoverished level income you accomplished little .
These partnership plans are like gold now …there are no insurers issuing policies here the last two years ….

They found the statistics they used were from a generation ago as boomers have not reached the sweet spot yet and already usage is way way higher then statistics showed .

They are higher for lots of reasons ..some have to do with the fact that so many saw families broken up and divorces happen when one sibling stepped up to the plate and the others stepped back .

That sibling that took in their parent ended up taking a huge economic and social hit .

Then the fighting starts with your spouse and siblings .

Also usage was way higher a generation ago then they were able to count ..many like my dad were cared for in private homes by health care professionals and were off the grid .

So insurers got duped in a way and found way higher usage then they planned .

This is from the New York State partnership plan website

IMPORTANT: As of January 1, 2021, there are no insurance companies currently offering new policy purchases of Partnership qualified products in New York State. This means that there are no new Partnership policies available for purchase at this time. This does not affect current, active insureds who are Partnership qualified.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:15 AM

6,656 posts, read 7,138,512 times
Quote:
this is no different than some experience with any insurance company claims
that might be true but it is why so many people get royally screwed by insurance companies. they play games and stall and delay. they make people jump through hoops just to get them to acknowledge their obligations and even then they hem and haw about how much. Too much BS for us.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:44 AM

15,256 posts, read 13,062,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
that might be true but it is why so many people get royally screwed by insurance companies. they play games and stall and delay. they make people jump through hoops just to get them to acknowledge their obligations and even then they hem and haw about how much. Too much BS for us.

It's exactly what happened after my MIL passed. I don't have LTCi because I don't want to play their stupid games.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:00 AM

Our plans are written in plain English with no gotchas ..

Everything is clearly spelled out .

Many states forced these changes as plans were written like an annuity product with so many gotchas.

Older policies required a law degree to figure out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement