Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 06:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times

Advertisements

very few people end up in a nursing home

- to inflate numbers, people who use home care aides and/or home health care aides in their own homes are often added in to the number

often or sometimes those who have purchased long term care insurance will argue the above point.

long term care insurance covers home care aides in one's own home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 06:36 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,073,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they are so costly here as to not be an option for most of us
Most people use the proceeds from the sale of their home to buy into a CCRC.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:55 PM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
very few people end up in a nursing home

- to inflate numbers, people who use home care aides and/or home health care aides in their own homes are often added in to the number

often or sometimes those who have purchased long term care insurance will argue the above point.

long term care insurance covers home care aides in one's own home
Thanks. I wondered about that, since I haven't begun to look into it. That would be preferable to me.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:03 AM

107,465 posts, read 109,882,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Most people use the proceeds from the sale of their home to buy into a CCRC.
they are way over priced here and unaffordable except by the wealthy here …there are very few and the prices are insane .

they can run 5-7 k a month plus as much as a million in entrance fees

https://kohud.kendal.org/living-opti...g-information/

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-18-2021 at 03:17 AM..

Old 11-18-2021, 04:33 AM

12,723 posts, read 7,643,978 times
I saw some article awhile back that showed how each of the usual scary statistics thrown about by the LTC industry is derived to give maximum fear effect, and how it could easily be framed another way to give a more measured picture to make LTC insurance decisions. I don't remember the meat of it, but it included analysis like how the stats ignore the surprisingly high number of people who enter nursing homes but leave them (sometime on their feet, sometimes feet first) before LTC would even kick in, stuff like that.

I'll look for it.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:45 AM

on the other hand insurers grossly underestimated use .

they want by stats that were a generation old …

many watched as their parents took a hit financially and socially trying to care for an agin parent .

they saw families destroyed as one sibling stepped up to the plate while. their brothers and sisters stepped back creating fights .

if you were married it likely stressed the marriage

they failed to count many like my dad that couldnt afford a nursing home so health care professionals took them in to their home and cared for them for a lot less .this is very popular in florida .

people who haver insurance tend to use that insurance ..so the insurance industry was misled as to actual use .

today every insurer pulled out of our state partnership plan because of high usage .

IMPORTANT: As of January 1, 2021, there are no insurance companies currently offering new policy purchases of Partnership qualified products in New York State. This means that there are no new Partnership policies available for purchase at this time. This does not affect current, active insureds who are Partnership qualified.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:56 AM

166 posts, read 158,758 times
It looks like the stats are much lower. This is the CDC stats for 2016.

This INCLUDES Hospice, Day Health Centers, & Residential Care (which I believe is assisted living) and Nursing home care.

It's a little over 11% of us, age 65+ will need these services so it's really low. About 11.10%
See page 19. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series...r03_43-508.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
What is your Long Term Care Plan?-screen-shot-2021-11-18-7.45.46  

Old 11-18-2021, 09:11 AM

most boomers are not near the danger zone yet.

it really does not matter what the stats show .

everything we insure against has very very low odds of happening …

but guess what ?

we only have two outcomes as humans .

its us or it isnt us

someone has to be on the wrong side of the statistic, is it you or your spouse ?

my dad was on the wrong side and his second wife was impoverished from it

Old 11-18-2021, 09:15 AM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most boomers are not near the danger zone yet.

it really does not matter what the stats show .

everything we insure against has very very low odds of happening …

but guess what ?

we only have two outcomes as humans .

its us or it isnt us

someone has to be on the wrong side of the statistic, is it you or your spouse ?

my dad was on the wrong side and his second wife was impoverished from it
I worked with a guy who was born January 4, 1946. He was one of the first Boomers!

Sadly, he died earlier this year. While getting a scan in anticipation of hip replacement surgery, they found cancer, and it took him quickly.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked with a guy who was born January 4, 1946. He was one of the first Boomers!

Sadly, he died earlier this year. While getting a scan in anticipation of hip replacement surgery, they found cancer, and it took him quickly.
we are still relatively to young to get a picture on nursing home usage for our generation

we all know people who died pretty young ,especially my mom at 55 for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement