Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2021, 11:15 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
For me: I've been in our "forever" place for about eighteen months now. Living in the Eastern Sierra has the good, the bad, and the ugly. We chose here because of significant family considerations, and also because (as I've mentioned in other threads) the geographic feature of being able to live mostly out of the snow (and fire zone) but have the mountains with all the things we love about them literally in our backyard above us.

But I now feel that we made a mistake, and I'm slowly bringing my wife (whose relatives are the ones who are here) around to the same realization. For one thing, as most can recognize, living near relatives can be as difficult as living far away from them. Since most of you can read between the lines, I'll leave it at that Also, 2020 happened, and some of the conflict that occurred in our community here is hard to accept or forget. It is what it is. And regardless of how fire-safe our home is, the regional wildfire smoke in the summer is trending worse and is not likely to trend better. That it is only a concern for a "few" weeks every summer is little consolation. Even though my wife grew up here, and I've been coming here for one reason or another for two decades, we still fell into the trap - actually living somewhere at point X in your life can be much different than experiencing an area any other way.

Fortunately we hedged our bets and have been slow-walking our planned house construction, so exiting (if it happens) is not going to be that difficult of a financial or logistical burden. But where to go? Maybe the example I cited in my post above this one is instructive, and we'll go back to where we moved here from. Maybe we'll make the leap and expat for a while. How to measure what is in your heart, vs. in your head? I've lived in places that I loved deeply though they were career constraining, and expensive. I've made leaps in my career due to my living in places that I did not love. Now that I am retired, cost of living is important, but career considerations are no longer applicable. What to do?
I’m told the Knoxville TN surrounding area is one of the new magnets for retirees. But its very wet and pollen is pervasive……don’t know what that means as far as mold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 12:55 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,902 times
I know three couples who moved to the alleged conservative retirement mecca of East Tennessee and northern Georgia from urban California who were back within three years. One was my neighbor when I lived in Contra Costa County, who managed to buy back the same California house they sold when they moved east, probably at a net loss. Retirement refugees around me here in northern Nevada bounce back and forth back to California so much it's a wonder they know where to file their taxes in any given year. Turns out that the grass isn't always greener, which is also something I constantly remind myself

Old 11-22-2021, 01:53 PM

863 posts, read 795,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It could be you are about to make Mistake 4.

Southern Arizona is a horrible location for anyone with allergies. Pollen allergies are a major problem and unfortunately having one allergy seems to make others more likely and more intense. The mold situation is especially bad. The mold, coccidioidomycosis, is prevalent and especially nasty. It can cause allergic reactions and worse, including disseminated infection (Valley Fever) often with lung abscesses and scarring. Exposure and infections can become chronic.
Anything is possible, but I have years of living in Arizona previously, and the desert in particular, to know that I never had the issues there, that I do here. We shall see..everything seems to be luck of the draw.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:27 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
But I now feel that we made a mistake, and I'm slowly bringing my wife (whose relatives are the ones who are here) around to the same realization. For one thing, as most can recognize, living near relatives can be as difficult as living far away from them.
"Happiness is having a close, loving, tight-knit family in another state."

Old 11-22-2021, 02:54 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've always wondered what people who feel the need to move closer to family as they age expect from them, exactly, or what they hope to avoid by doing so.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:06 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've always wondered what people who feel the need to move closer to family as they age expect from them, exactly, or what they hope to avoid by doing so.
We moved back from Alabama to California 4 years ago to spend more time with my parents. Depending on individuals but our family has always been close, and I don't want the regret of not having spending more time with them while they're still around. All I can say is this past 4 years has been priceless and I don't regret one bit having made the move.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:53 PM

475 posts, read 318,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I moved to this small town in Arizona from CT. My younger brother moved here from NYC 6 months later and my older brother will be moving here from Las Vegas within the year. The last time we all lived in the same house or locality was 1970.

We don't expect anything from each other and certainly don't "need" to move closer to each other we just all like this area and look forward to spending more time together after being apart for 50 years! (We always kept in contact, saw each other periodically thru the years for weddings, vacations etc.)

Old 11-22-2021, 06:08 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Old 11-22-2021, 06:08 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
We are on perfect retirement home #4 I am up to #5 but SO has visions of motor homes.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:09 PM

1,438 posts, read 734,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The Browns second "forever home", Asheville NC, didn't work out because they couldn't break into the social scene. So they sold their Asheville house and moved to...(drumroll, please)...The Villages!
Now that is just a stupid reason, they have each other, if they liked the house and love each other, social scene be damned!!!!!
I really don't understand people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement