Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 03:17 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I didn't realize OP was only 35. Why is he posting in the "Retirement" forum?
You must be new around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 03:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Been to Asheville and the Biltmore and really liked it. But, you had better bring $$$$ in order to buy property. Okay for those coming from CA or NOVA. Perhaps the outlying areas are more reasonable.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:59 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalexpectations View Post
you must be new around here. :d
lol

Old 11-23-2021, 04:49 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Alaska, I moved to Reno 25 years ago for a job with the state. I am definitely not a conservative having spent my career in human services. I love the mild 4 seasons and have wonderful friends. One of my kids also lives here. I have lived in 5 states and for me this has been the best.

Old 11-23-2021, 04:52 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Alaska, I moved to Reno 25 years ago for a job with the state. I am definitely not a conservative having spent my career in human services. I love the mild 4 seasons and have wonderful friends. One of my kids also lives here. I have lived in 5 states and for me this has been the best.
That's nice

Reno is a bit different than my situation in more ways than one. Actually we are considering a move up to Reno as an alternative to a more significant change.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:53 AM

908 posts, read 961,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, there is no forever home, stuff happens, and circumstances change. I thought we are doing well to stay here for 27 years, after only 7 years in the first house, 8 in the second. We have loved it here and would stay but no longer need 3,000 sf and 5 bedrooms plus a bonus room. We'll sell and move on in about a year or two. My parents thought they had their last home, but after becoming a widow my Mom at 88 couldn't handle the place by herself, so she's now in a senior apartment.
Where are you thinking of moving? This is our plan too. I think I recall you live in a city starting with S in WA? I am nearby and keep debating to move to Auburn or Edmonds area.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:43 AM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I've never bought a home thinking it will be my "forever home". I'm guessing we will stay here for around 10 years, and then probably want something different. Then 10 years after that, we'll want something different again.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-24-2021, 09:57 AM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times
I don't have a Forever Home but I have a Forever Dream Home.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:01 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
Where are you thinking of moving? This is our plan too. I think I recall you live in a city starting with S in WA? I am nearby and keep debating to move to Auburn or Edmonds area.
I won't speak too much for Hemlock, but yes on the location. I heard his plan a few months ago and I think it's more rural than Auburn or Edmonds.

We are younger, but our timeline is roughly the same for possibly leaving Issaquah.

We have to figure out a few important things in the coming years:

Option 1: Moving to the midwest where my kin was from and where we lived shortly before moving to the PNW.

Option 2: Stay in PNW, but staying in the PNW also has it's considerations...

2a: Find a rustic style home on 1/4-1/2 acre in Snoqualmie Valley (currently #1 choice)
2b: Find a waterfront condo in Bellingham
2c: Move to a urban arts and crafts bungalow on a small lot in South Sound (Olympia)
2d: Stay in Issaquah and exchange Issaquah Highlands townhome for a downtown condo or small home with a fireplace (would be expensive)
2e: Move to Whidbey Island or Peninsula (husband's choice).

Old 11-24-2021, 10:29 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Worst thing that could happen would be having a door slammed in your face, which would be most telling about the occupant.
Or you could end up chained in someone's basement and tortured for fun. Knock on random doors, expect random consequences. LOL Maybe better to read up on the Next Door or local newspaper. If you must have intimate contact borrow a big dog and walk through the neighborhood. Much easier to make safer contact that way. And there has never been a serial killer with a pet dog. ................. That has been caught!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement