Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 10:49 AM

529 posts, read 494,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Before purchasing a residence I would attempt to interview potential neighbors. This could be accomplished by knocking on doors, introducing yourself and explaining that you are considering purchasing housing in the neighborhood. You could ask if there are any concerns, issues, etc. that you should be aware. One could learn much about a neighborhood and its residents in this manner. I think most people would be helpful. Worst thing that could happen would be having a door slammed in your face, which would be most telling about the occupant.

Another idea is to talk to the local police officer/deputy that is responsible for the area you are looking at. They will know the good or bad of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
#crazytown - the idea - just my opinion - I know some others will disagree, which is fine

the idea can also get you shot (with a gun) in some places

If the house/trailer has a "No trespassing" sign, and fence, and you ignore it, back in the 'hollers, well maybe you deserve it. If the house looks sketchy, duh. Otherwise it is more of a myth than reality in today's world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 11:05 AM

529 posts, read 494,376 times
I have lived in my current house for a little over two years, and already thinking about where I want to move next. Probably within the next two years or so. Nothing to hold me here, and no grand-kids for me to be in a certain area. I have looked at the Ashville area, and so has my sister, but just not my type of area. One area that has my interest is the mountains west of Greenville. Bit expensive in the nicer area's, but I enjoy the seclusion and mountains. After that, who knows, I would like exploring the possibility of living in a different country, but going to wait it out for several years with the pandemic.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:13 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Or you could end up chained in someone's basement and tortured for fun. Knock on random doors, expect random consequences. LOL Maybe better to read up on the Next Door or local newspaper. If you must have intimate contact borrow a big dog and walk through the neighborhood. Much easier to make safer contact that way. And there has never been a serial killer with a pet dog. ................. That has been caught!
In my old neighborhood in CA, if an unfamiliar person knocked on a door asking about the neighborhood and living in the area, a red flag would go up that a home invasion robbery was in the works. It wouldn't shock me if it were reported to the police.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:33 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
In my old neighborhood in CA, if an unfamiliar person knocked on a door asking about the neighborhood and living in the area, a red flag would go up that a home invasion robbery was in the works. It wouldn't shock me if it were reported to the police.
I used to live in Granada Hills. Our next door neighbors were the target of a home invasion a couple of years before I moved there. Their firsthand account was chilling. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the perps were apprehended.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:01 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,732,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Before purchasing a residence I would attempt to interview potential neighbors. This could be accomplished by knocking on doors, introducing yourself and explaining that you are considering purchasing housing in the neighborhood. You could ask if there are any concerns, issues, etc. that you should be aware. One could learn much about a neighborhood and its residents in this manner. I think most people would be helpful. Worst thing that could happen would be having a door slammed in your face, which would be most telling about the occupant.
The modern equivalent of this is joining the neighborhood/town Facebook page, Nextdoor app etc. You will see all the drama up close!!

If you started knocking on doors in my neighborhood, you wouldn't get very far before your picture from someone's camera is emailed around the neighborhood. Then it is shared on Nextdoor for other neighborhoods to see. All within minutes. Great for lost dogs, not productive for door-to-door inquires.

A few years ago someone that had already purchased a lot and was in the design process stopped me at the mailbox and asked was kind of brick I had, I actually knew what it was and told them. Checked my phone and there is a warning about this crazy lady ringing doorbells. I laughed and didn't think anything of it, till walking my dog a few years later and the same lady is walking her dog. She remembered asking me and told me that as she was driving out of the neighborhood she was stopped by a cop. She actually had the paperwork from the builder in her car as she was making notes on it. He let her go and told her not to ring people's doorbells!

Old 11-24-2021, 01:50 PM

22,000 posts, read 13,038,107 times
The usual advice is to stake out the neighborhood at all hours of the day and night, including weekends. Of course, this could arouse suspicion and get you reported to the police, too.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,591,685 times
Some home owners - one in Texas comes to mind as an example - feel that if someone comes onto their neighborhood property, they have the right to shoot them with a gun - and to shoot them first, and ask any questions later.

I have seen and read about many examples of this.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:10 PM

7,673 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Some home owners - one in Texas comes to mind as an example - feel that if someone comes onto their neighborhood property, they have the right to shoot them with a gun - and to shoot them first, and ask any questions later.

I have seen and read about many examples of this.

I lived in Texas for 9 months in 1987. Tons of people with gun racks (with shotguns in plain sight) and drive through Margarita/Beer stands (it was legal to drink and drive as long as you weren't intoxicated). I didn't like tornado warnings, the extraordinary bugs, the poverty, the humidity. We moved. I have one sibling down there; but, I am not compelled to visit much (I saw them in CO before they moved back to Houston (yet again).

Old 11-24-2021, 02:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,985,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I used to live in Granada Hills. Our next door neighbors were the target of a home invasion a couple of years before I moved there. Their firsthand account was chilling. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the perps were apprehended.
My first house was in W. Van Nuys, just south of the airport. Compare to Van Nuys, Granada Hills is a GREAT neighborhood!

Old 11-24-2021, 03:26 PM

35,110 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The usual advice is to stake out the neighborhood at all hours of the day and night, including weekends. Of course, this could arouse suspicion and get you reported to the police, too.
Most places are basically what they visually appear to be. I’m not going to go sleuthing around a neighborhood like a PI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement