Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Groan!!! Of all places to pick after 2 custom homes.
Loneliness is exceptionally strong and prevalent in U.S. society for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 06:25 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't see why any retiree would buy a gigantic sized house for retirement, maybe a former President or some other important official who would need to entertain, but for most people, you need something smaller.

I like the small 1950s ranches that are mostly being torn down these days. They're just right for a retired couple except maybe the yards can be too big. They usually have three bedrooms so there's extra space for relatives who come to visit, the kitchens are okay and -wow-they actually have a window! You can update the kitchen if you want to though. The bathrooms are good in most cases and, again, they have a window! Everything is on one level and you could install a stacking washer and dryer, maybe inside a closet.

Capes are good too because they usually have a bedroom downstairs plus a tv room/office/extra bedroom. Good living room and kitchen. And they have two bedrooms upstairs that you don't have to use but they are great for guests. Stairs get to be a real drag and a danger as you get older so I don't understand the people who buy huge houses with staircases. It won't be that long before they have to purchase an expensive and slow stairlift.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,236 times
Default Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post

I tried to read the article which looked really interesting, but there's a paywall.

The article can be read in full here : https://archive.ph/RCJIh

Old 11-18-2021, 07:49 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
You are correct that there seems to be a lot of people selling and buying homes in the upper age brackets.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
We live in the house my wife was brought home from the hospital after being born. Her parents built a house up the street when she was around 6. A few years later her grandparents ended up buying this house. After her grandmother had to go to a nursing home she moved in. We got married and bought the house from her mother after her grandparents were both gone.

We plan on giving it to our daughter. I'm not from here and I think about going back to where I consider my hometown but I know we are never leaving here. My MIL now lives around 5 minutes from here in a place where someone takes care of the lawn, landscape, etc. Might we move there after she is gone? Maybe.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
There is no such thing as a "forever home". Life happens. Things change.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, we made a mistake. But I don't see how we could have predicted this.
You could have bought a house with an 85+ WalkScore.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:53 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,395 times
My last three homes weren’t bought to be forever homes, but were bought with the idea that they COULD be forever homes. All were one story, not too large, distinct enough architectural points of view that I wouldn’t tire of them and wish for something less bland. The last two, of course, didn’t become forever homes. Career changes took me to different states/cities. The current one very well could be my forever home. I’m winding down my career, and while I have always had a vague plan to move back to my last city upon retirement, prices have simply skyrocketed there, while at the same time I’ve really (surprisingly to me) come to enjoy what my current city has to offer over the last four years. My location is ideal, and the house itself is just about perfect. 1,600 sf, 3/2, Usonian in style with a simple layout and lots of built-ins and wood. It needs landscaping and an updated master bath, but that’s all doable.

I think the regrets mainly come from those who make big cross-country moves to locales where they have never before lived, imagining some sort of retirement utopia. While many are happy with their new beach, mountain, lake, desert or town square, I surmise an equal number are unhappy, or at least less happy than they had hoped themselves to be, and then their search continues. For me personally, I’ve stopped looking at those “ideal retirement locations” with anything other than a casual curiosity. I’m either going to stay put, or go to one of two other places, both of which I’ve lived in before and know what to expect.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:04 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't see why any retiree would buy a gigantic sized house for retirement, maybe a former President or some other important official who would need to entertain, but for most people, you need something smaller.

I like the small 1950s ranches that are mostly being torn down these days. They're just right for a retired couple except maybe the yards can be too big. They usually have three bedrooms so there's extra space for relatives who come to visit, the kitchens are okay and -wow-they actually have a window! You can update the kitchen if you want to though. The bathrooms are good in most cases and, again, they have a window! Everything is on one level and you could install a stacking washer and dryer, maybe inside a closet.

Capes are good too because they usually have a bedroom downstairs plus a tv room/office/extra bedroom. Good living room and kitchen. And they have two bedrooms upstairs that you don't have to use but they are great for guests. Stairs get to be a real drag and a danger as you get older so I don't understand the people who buy huge houses with staircases. It won't be that long before they have to purchase an expensive and slow stairlift.
I agree with all your points. We live in a nice "smallish" 1950s home that is almost perfect. It is one story, although there are a few steps up due to the elevated foundation. We are renovating it as much of it was past its prime, but had good bones. I had thought our last little rancher might be our retirement home, and we still own it; but it was far too small and we had tired of being in that town. The only downside to this house is that it is located on a very busy street, but the neighborhood and location otherwise is superb and beautiful.

We have learned to never say "never." We have bought and sold many homes throughout our marriage including some I never thought we would sell. But tastes, needs and circumstances change. While I loathe moving I would never say this house will be our last, but it might.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:12 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I have lived in 5 states and it takes a lot of effort and time to find your tribe. I moved here 25 years ago for a job and would never leave. I have a group of friends and family that I really enjoy. That’s priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement