Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 02:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times

Advertisements

I think the crux is not a generational matter and not a generational difference.

It falls more into the realm of sociology and psychology and also copycat behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 02:55 PM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think the crux is not a generational matter and not a generational difference.

It falls more into the realm of sociology and psychology and also copycat behavior.
It's hard to know where to post some things, they fall under so many headings...

Or maybe "Frugality" since I'm always aghast at what people blithely pay for frivolities these days!

Old 12-01-2021, 03:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

It's hard to know where to post some things, they fall under so many headings...

Or maybe "Frugality" since I'm always aghast at what people blithely pay for frivolities these days!
I wasn't speaking to where this topic is posted. Not at all.

I was speaking to those who categorize it as a generational matter and generational difference which I do not think it is.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I am very tail-end of Gen X, entering my mid-40's, so my early 20's weren't digital. My roommate and I used to go out and take photos of each other trying to be super stars of our own lives. The reality is is if we had had access to smartphones we would have done the same thing as the kids today. I have no doubt.
Yep. I took a LOT of photos of my life growing up. I have thousands and thousands of Kodacolor prints sitting in boxes taking up space. I have dozens of photo albums that I spent hours loading photos into.

Man, if we'd had a simple way to instantaneously take a picture and save it and share it with others, I would have been all over that.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:31 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Speaking of smartphones taking over, we went to a new restaurant yesterday. They didn't have paper menus, you had to scan a QR code with your phone. The waitress offered to bring us a tablet, and we said yes to that.

She came back to the patio several minutes later, took the order from the only other people out there, then left. No tablet.

My husband went and found a tablet on the hostess stand, but it didn't work.
I tried to scan the QR code, but the QR app on my phone wants $25/month. No thanks.

Waitress never came back, and we left after maybe 15 minutes with no menu, water, nothing.

I guess we're not hip enough to eat there.
QR codes are the future. QR apps are free. You were getting scammed or you mistook an ad for an app.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:45 PM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Man, if we'd had a simple way to instantaneously take a picture and save it and share it with others, I would have been all over that.
I'm not saying don't take pictures;I'm saying if you already take a million pictures of your family every day (and photoshop them to within an inch of their lives to make them look perfect), what is the point of getting a professional photo shoot for every conceivable occasion? At first I thought it was just D-list celebrities on TV doing this, but now it's people I know personally who, frankly, can't afford it. It seems...self-important.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:42 PM

5,485 posts, read 4,129,733 times
I have seen ONE photo of my dad as a baby (born 1926) and ONE of my mom, about age 2. When I think of how many photos there are of my grand kids.....

We were somewhere in the middle - my dad liked to take photos, mostly slides. So we were pretty well documented growing up.

But when the selfie craze started, it made me think - 25 years ago, if you met someone, and they pulled out a ton of photos, and started showing them to you - "here's a picture of me, here's another picture of me, here's a picture of me and my friend...." you would have slowly backed away from them. But that's what people do now, for better or worse.

That being said, I love looking at photos in someone's album. On a phone, meh, not so much.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:26 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,541,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
QR codes are the future. QR apps are free. You were getting scammed or you mistook an ad for an app.
They might have an apple iphone.

I've always had an Android, because I hate apple products since way back in computers.

I was working near two department mates discussing their pleasure with their android s.
One said they had to PAY for a lot of the apps on iphone that were FREE on Android.
Both agreed they'd never go back to apple.

That just added another distaste for me of apple products.

And, they may just as well found a pay app.

I had two different QR apps (on an old phone and a this one), both were free.

I gave at least 20 apps on my Android, and I've never paid for one. Maybe more.

Oh, there are pay apps, but they aren't interesting to me when I can find like apps (with ads occasionally) for free.
And even the ones with ads are really no different than have a site pop up on the computer...just because you searched for something.

So, either they had an apple, or happened onto a pay app and have, or rather go further down the list to a free one.
On my Android, when I search for an app, I also get a list of similar apps, and even can read reviews of the listed apps.

Best

Old 12-01-2021, 08:57 PM

319 posts, read 202,986 times
I unfollowed the majority of the youngsters from social media once they began posting pictures with the trout pout or kissy face pose. MY GAWD, that annoyed me to no end. I told my nieces "don't ever do that in front of me. I'm going to reach over with my forefinger and thumb and twist that stupid pucker mouth off your face." Of course, one had to be a smart ass and do it, only to find I was serious when my hand shot out and only missed her because she yelped and backed off.

Talk about a moronic pose.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:47 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,541,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
I unfollowed the majority of the youngsters from social media once they began posting pictures with the trout pout or kissy face pose. MY GAWD, that annoyed me to no end. I told my nieces "don't ever do that in front of me. I'm going to reach over with my forefinger and thumb and twist that stupid pucker mouth off your face." Of course, one had to be a smart ass and do it, only to find I was serious when my hand shot out and only missed her because she yelped and backed off.

Talk about a moronic pose.
That doesn't bother me so much.

What DOES get me is when a youngster posts a pic with a cartoon pig snout and pig ears on their face!
Or cats ears and a whiskered nosei find it not funny or cute.
So unoriginal.
Or other such thing.
I even found it on dating sites! That immediately told me "waaaay too young for me"!

I mean you're either posting your face or not, right.

As far as it being generational, I agree with the posted above, that's it actually been that way for many many generations, just formats have changed.

It definitely goes back to late 1800s!

Queen And Prince Albert were definitely "social media-ists"!!
Why? How?
Prince Albert particularly picked on photography as being a medium to use to spread the word about the royal family.
He saw to it that several family portraits were photographed. They could be reprinted and posted in news papers.
They could be sold at fair's or gatherings.
They could pass them out.
The king or queen of the past...well most of the commoners.. unless they got a glimpse as a carriage went by, never actually knew what the monarch actually looked like.
Prince Albert and Victoria wanted the people she ruled to actually know what the royal family looked like.
Voila! The first "social media" people...all the way back to the late 1800s!

Now, if you've seen the photos of the royal family, they aren't smiling and are often seated. That's because it took 3 minutes or so for an exposure, and you can imagine trying to hold a smile for that long!

And, I, as a boomer, bought extra class pictures, didn't you?
And why?
Well to exchange with our friends, of course!
That was "social sharing" of the day!
Now it's Snapchat.

So, many many generations have used the technology of the day... whatever or however we had to do it, just as youngsters of today use current digital options!

Best...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement