Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 11:15 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
YES! I remember a comedian pointing out the weirdness of parents taking a video of their children's event, instead of enjoying the actual experience of the event while it was happening. It is an oddity of the social media aspect of society.
This is my perspective exactly!

Why are people becoming spectators in their own life events instead of participants? I understand if something is unique one may want to capture that (the wedding, baby's first steps/words, dog walking on hind legs dressed as an leprechaun, etc...) But social media seems to have unhinged folks who are unable to discern the difference between what's worth recording & sharing or their lunch.

I'm kind of glad that the few concerts I attend now appeal mainly to older audiences - there aren't a forest of hands holding up bright phone screens most of the performance. Why does someone spend $100+ on a ticket only to watch the bulk of the performance on a shaky 4" video screen?

This is actually similar to a thread on the Travel forum about photography, why travel to a far-away place only to view most of it through a small screen instead of just being there in that moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 03:14 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not saying don't take pictures;I'm saying if you already take a million pictures of your family every day (and photoshop them to within an inch of their lives to make them look perfect), what is the point of getting a professional photo shoot for every conceivable occasion? At first I thought it was just D-list celebrities on TV doing this, but now it's people I know personally who, frankly, can't afford it. It seems...self-important.

I know about 3 families that have done this. Personally, I think it's nice. 1 was a toddler birthday party, 1 was coordinated outfits family pics, and 1 was a family that got heavily discounted 'professional' pictures because the photographer (a lady I know) was new, and needed the practice and to build up her portafolio.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:33 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Or upgrade your data plan?
Yes.

We have the T-Mobile 55+ "magenta plan".
Unlimited talk text and unlimited data.
$35/m/line.

No need to be restricted by data use.

Best

Old 12-03-2021, 04:44 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That doesn't make the text any bigger on the screen of the phone.
I'm, you CAN magnify the text on your screen!

Just put your thumb and forefinger "pinched" together(not really, but that close) in the center of the screen touching the surface of the phone screen, and spread your fingers apart.

The further you spread them apart, the larger the image or text on the screen gets.

If it's not big enough then, and your fingers are wide, lift them up, set them down pinched again and spread further apart.
To reduce it back to original size, spread fingers and then close them together.

You can also go to "settings", "display"and look for a "magnify" or "large print" setting and adjust.
To reduce to normal, repeat the process in reverse.

The first method is easiest.
Best

Old 12-03-2021, 04:52 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Most of you are discussing the inanity of taking a bazillion pictures a day and posting them indiscriminately for attention.

I'm talking about the further inanity of then paying someone $500/hour to replicate the process when you're young and presumably financially insolvent.
Why do you care how they want to spend (or waste) their money? Not all young people are "presumably financially insolvent." For all you know, a parent may have wanted and paid for a nice professional portrait. I think you are being overly concerned with other people's finances.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:56 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Just put your thumb and forefinger "pinched" together(not really, but that close) in the center of the screen touching the surface of the phone screen, and spread your fingers apart.

The further you spread them apart, the larger the image or text on the screen gets.

If it's not big enough then, and your fingers are wide, lift them up, set them down pinched again and spread further apart.
To reduce it back to original size, spread fingers and then close them together.

You can also go to "settings", "display"and look for a "magnify" or "large print" setting and adjust.

Best
Yes I know how to zoom in and out. It's very hard to browse a menu or any kind of list when you have to keep zooming in and out for each word.

You must have better eyesight than me.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:

Best
Omg... We're not all idiots!

Old 12-04-2021, 07:26 AM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
My father loved cameras and taking pictures. Because of his love we have a treasure trove of memories. Everyday life from the 1950s through his death in 1995. He left us with movies, slides and pictures that we love.
My in-laws also left tons of movies and pictures. They were not as good at taking pictures but we cherish these glimpses into the past.
We also were big on taking pics and movies and slides thanks to my dad. I have weeded through and eliminated most scenery photos but the family ones.
There are also formal portraits of our grandparents but also candid ones of them in everyday life.
As our circle grows smaller I am thankful to have these memories.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:01 AM

1,489 posts, read 794,629 times
Quote:
Yes.

We have the T-Mobile 55+ "magenta plan".
Unlimited talk text and unlimited data.
$35/m/line.

No need to be restricted by data use.

Best
The Magenta 55 plan is $90 for 2 unlimited lines per month.

I have the 55 unlimited plan which is $70 for 2 unlimited lines per month.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:08 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
The Magenta 55 plan is $90 for 2 unlimited lines per month.

I have the 55 unlimited plan which is $70 for 2 unlimited lines per month.
The other nice thing about T-Mobile plans, which I just switched over to this summer, is that it also allows one to use the phone overseas without any big surcharges. Now, if we could only get to use the overseas feature sometime soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement