Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 03:35 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I would not expect $2, I just said $2 was the actual fair value of that minuscule ice cream, almost the size of a trial sample.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I almost hate eating out anymore. Not just the prices. The quality has really gone to pot.
Restaurants have been cutting corners to try and keep prices down, so now a lot of the food is pre-made packaged crap with no flavor at all.
I know it's impossible to find help right now, and what you can get is usually substandard, but really....

I was a chef in my younger years, and it isn't that hard to add some herbs or sauces like Worcestershire or soy sauce to really improve that manufactured crap and make it taste like food.

I ate breakfast at a local place this morning. They've gone from real ham to that pressed stuff, and it was overcooked and so dry I could barely cut it let alone eat it.

To me eating out used to be a treat. Now I have cut back to where I only do it if I have to.

Never did have the taste for Starbucks, and the last time I was in New York I had a burger that I'm sure was deep fried and the bun was dipped in as well.

Guess I'll just have to eat at home for the next 3 years.

Do you really think prices will come down after the next 3 years? I don't see that, I do not recall eating out ever got cheaper in the last nearly 40 years that I have lived in the US. The best to hope for is that the cost of eating out may freeze at the current level for the rest of the 2020s - but it is more likely it will keep rising further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 04:08 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Wow, that is a lot for an ice cream cone. I pay $2.50 here...2 scoops in a waffle cone.
Then again..this is a tourist area and there's plenty of ice cream shops around here.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:24 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
interesting seeing the various carvel prices state to state .

a large thick shake in new york is 6.24

in alabama its 4.79

large cone in ny 5.49

large cone alabama 4.21

https://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/carvel-prices/

Old 12-07-2021, 05:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,308 times
McDonalds ice cream cone is $1. Maybe a little more now, but not by much. I don’t live in NY though.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:22 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
^^ Yeah, but is it really ice cream....or an edible substance. I don't even know if I want to see the ingredients and list of chemicals/compounds that are in it.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:31 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,539 times
Bought flowers lately, esp. to be delivered? Ouch.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:34 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I feel it is decadence and moral and cultural decline.

I would not encourage anyone to participate in decadence and moral and cultural decline.
It was a fun 2 day trip and I thoroughly enjoyed myself including being decadent for a couple of days. It was the first time visiting NY since I was 5 years old. I haven't had an Italian pastry since I was a teenager. You should loosen up a little. Not everything is a life and death situation. I have no regrets and I don't think I caused the moral and cultural decline of civilization by overpaying for a couple of Italian pastries on a short trip to New York City

Old 12-07-2021, 05:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
I'm very loose! ha ha

$30 for two Italian pastries is a gigantic waste of money and idiocy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Live a little
two Italian pastries for $30 and $10 for a very tiny bit of trial-size gelato/ice cream cone is not "living a little" - very poor mind set.

P.S. I did not say 'civilization' nor use the word 'civilization' - I said decadence and moral and cultural decline.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-07-2021 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 05:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So, a couple of weeks ago, I was in NYC, and was walking towards an ice cream stand in Bryant Park, facing a dude walking from the opposite direction with little bitty twin daughters who were each licking a very junior-sized ice cream. It was a small waffle cone, with a single smallish scoop of gelato-style ice cream with embedded bits of something like a chopped up strawberry. A small appetizing item, I thought I'd get one myself if the price is right. I figured the fair price for it would be $2, but what with Manhattan and inflation, I figured it would be $4, overpriced but still okay. Then I got to the ice cream stand, and the cost of this small cone with a single small scopp of gelato was $9.99 plus tax. I did not get it. I mean, I have 10 bucks, and like ice cream as much as anyone, but I am not paying that. I'm just not, and that's it, even if I never eat anything prepared by someone other than myself again.
That's not inflation, that's the power of being one of a few sellers of a desirable commodity. I took my grandson to the zoo and they wanted $15 for an Icee, I have never paid over $2. They tried to explain it by showing me the 'lovely' souvenir cup it comes in which probably cost them 13 cents at the most.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:56 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Yeah, but is it really ice cream....or an edible substance. I don't even know if I want to see the ingredients and list of chemicals/compounds that are in it.
McD's ice cream: Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream
Ingredients: Milk, Sugar, Cream, Corn Syrup, Natural Flavor, Mono and Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate.

At least it melts. Carvel uses so much guar that the ice cream doesn't melt and has about the same nasty consistency when warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement