Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 08:22 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,631,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I watched a movie on Netflix the other night from Argentina and was surprised that the Spanish spoken there also seems to have influence from the Italian language. It was much easier for me to understand than let's say the Spanish from Mexico.
The biggest differences in their Spanish to me, aside from their slang, is the extremely soft "ll" and "y" and that they use all use voseo even printed.

For example the sentence "el caballero me ayuda llevar el pollo" (the gentleman is helping me take the chicken) would be pronounced:

Mexico = el cabayero me ayuda yevar el poyo
Colombia = el cabajero me ajuda jevar el pojo
Argentina = el cabashero me ashuda shevar el posho

Voseo (like "vos tenés" instead of "tu tienes") is no problem because I'm used to it from Colombia but the soft ll/y is sometimes hard to understand. Como se shama, sha tengo las shaves, etc. sounds like everywhere around here is whispering loudly in the damned library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 10:19 AM

17,416 posts, read 11,407,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The biggest differences in their Spanish to me, aside from their slang, is the extremely soft "ll" and "y" and that they use all use voseo even printed.

For example the sentence "el caballero me ayuda llevar el pollo" (the gentleman is helping me take the chicken) would be pronounced:

Mexico = el cabayero me ayuda yevar el poyo
Colombia = el cabajero me ajuda jevar el pojo
Argentina = el cabashero me ashuda shevar el posho

Voseo (like "vos tenés" instead of "tu tienes") is no problem because I'm used to it from Colombia but the soft ll/y is sometimes hard to understand. Como se shama, sha tengo las shaves, etc. sounds like everywhere around here is whispering loudly in the damned library.
Thanks for the explanation. The Spanish I heard just seemed easier to understand just as the Spanish from Spain is easier for me to understand and I really don't know why as I don't speak Spanish but do speak Italian. It just seems the pronunciation of certain words is more similar to Italian. I also thought it was interesting that people greeting and saying goodbye to each other in Argentina used Ciao quite a bit, but maybe that was just in the movie.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,594,615 times
Quote:

6. It has crime problems just like most other large cities in Latin America. Lots of backpacks to the front, lots of stores buzz you in, lots of warnings about using a cell phone near the street, etc.
I am stumped trying to figure this one out, does using a cell phone near the street somehow make you vulnerable to a crime? I'm guessing people jump out of cars when you're preoccupied and grab your stuff and go?

Also, is English widely spoken in Buenos Aires?

Old 04-09-2022, 11:19 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,219,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I am stumped trying to figure this one out, does using a cell phone near the street somehow make you vulnerable to a crime? I'm guessing people jump out of cars when you're preoccupied and grab your stuff and go?
It probably makes it easier to grab your phone

Old 04-10-2022, 12:22 AM

232 posts, read 146,937 times
Quote:
If you bring USD to exchange you get about 200 to 1. I've seen ribeyes on menus ranging from 1800 at some less formal parrillas to 2500 at nicer ones, and I scouted the menu of Don Julio's which is one of the best steak houses in town about 4,000. So call it $9-$20, depending on how nice you want to go. There are also a lot more tablas here than in USA, where 3000-5000 everyone shares a big platter that has some steak cuts, ribs, chorizo, grilled chicken, sometimes shrimp and sweet breads, etc.

Most dishes at sit-down restaurants we have been to are about 8-14k like pasta, pizza, a cheeseburger. A glass of wine 300-600, a big liter beer to share is 600. We aren't fancy folks so these are not prices at higher end formal places, mostly we just look for restaurants that have a nice outdoor sidewalk seating area.

EDIT = here is the menu from a relatively inexpensive parrilla near us:
https://www.tupe.com.ar/web/wp-conte...menu_marzo.pdf
Lieqiang:

I am wondering where did you find a black market to exchange your money and not get rubbed or so in Argentina?

(In Vietnam, I exchanged money at jewelry stores and got some better rates.)

Old 04-10-2022, 04:15 AM

3,268 posts, read 5,031,848 times
Quote:
More likely a guy zipping past on a motor bike.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,631,411 times
Quote:

Also, is English widely spoken in Buenos Aires?
Like this. Different countries but same general idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JObvOixfbS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS5cTu_O9Kw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Lieqiang:

I am wondering where did you find a black market to exchange your money and not get rubbed or so in Argentina?
There are some streets known to have a lot of changers, I just had someone I know from BA tell me a place to go in a good part of town. It wasn't anything sketchy, more like a Western Union moneypoint store. There is usually a small line out front, you give them dollars at one window, they buzz you into another part to pick up pesos. They run the stack they are giving you through a money counting machine for you, and even put it in rubber bands if enough.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:38 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,594,615 times
Interesting, I didn't know that stealing phones was still a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement