Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 2,538 times

Advertisements

Interested in safe place for Americans with good health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 04:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Ecuador has some very enthusiastic former US residents per my viewing of YouTube.

They frequently discuss the benefits of a varied climate depending in which area you decide to live, the cost of living and the cost and quality of healthcare.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Costa Rica's health care has consistently rated higher then the US' on UN surveys. It seems to have a stable economy, more than any other Central American country. You might consider posting in the Latin America forum, to find out about safety and other questions you may have.

Ecuador's highlands have a stable year-round temperature of around 70 degrees. The main expat retiree communities are in Cuenca, Vilcabamba and Cotacachi. There's a good hospital in Cotacachi, and a modern Western-style public market that the expats rave about, built with USAID money. They have a very popular mayor who served for 12 years in the 90's/2000's, and is back again. Very low-corruption guy, doing a lot of projects with non-profits in the villages, improving the QOL for the Native people. He got some intensive anti-corruption grass-roots democracy training in a US project.

Ecuador tends to go through Presidents like people go through socks, though. Although that hasn't fazed the expats; they're still there. The water supply in the highlands, especially in the rural area, has been dwindling, due to a drier climate --a radical change in the rain regime--sine the 90's if not earlier. You could ask about this, if you're seriously considering it, and make contact with expat communities down there.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Costa Rica's health care has consistently rated higher then the US' on UN surveys.
I'm skeptical.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Ecuador has some very enthusiastic former US residents per my viewing of YouTube.

They frequently discuss the benefits of a varied climate depending in which area you decide to live, the cost of living and the cost and quality of healthcare.
There's a regular poster on City-Data who retired to Ecuador and has posted about it. I'll alert her to this thread.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:12 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's a regular poster on City-Data who retired to Ecuador and has posted about it. I'll alert her to this thread.
That would be me. Everything Ruth said about the other mountainous areas is true. We are on the coast in an affordable beachfront place. You could google "Canoa" for an idea.

I've said before, our healthcare system is only $80 for us as a couple (and I've used the ER 3 times, free) and property taxes are $45 a year. We don't need a car. Temp is 75 to 85 all year around. Just those 3 bit-ticket items leaves lots of money on the table for discretionary spending.

I got a complicated, innovative operation down here to fix the hip replacement done wrong in Texas. For a tenth the U.S. price.

Happy to answer any questions.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm skeptical.
If you believe this chart, U.S. is #30, Ecuador is #31 and Costa Rica is #49 in health care.

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-li...isplayColumn=3

Old 12-13-2021, 08:37 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Argentina. Furthermore, if you retire to Buenos Aires, that would be like retiring to Paris, but much cheaper than Paris.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Argentina. Furthermore, if you retire to Buenos Aires, that would be like retiring to Paris, but much cheaper than Paris.
Argentina is #33 in health care, just below Sweden (whaaaat? Sweden? )

I'd like to visit there, but afraid of the constant unrest and crowds.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:47 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Argentina is #33 in health care, just below Sweden (whaaaat? Sweden? )

I'd like to visit there, but afraid of the constant unrest and crowds.

They like to protest, but have been civilized about it for a very long time. It does not reach the level of "unrest" (ie, nothing as bad as recent unrest in many US cities). I don't know what the healthcare "index" in your link means. I know some Argentinian physicians (as in know them professionally), and they seem normally competent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement