Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:49 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That would be me. Everything Ruth said about the other mountainous areas is true. We are on the coast in an affordable beachfront place. You could google "Canoa" for an idea.

I've said before, our healthcare system is only $80 for us as a couple (and I've used the ER 3 times, free) and property taxes are $45 a year. We don't need a car. Temp is 75 to 85 all year around. Just those 3 bit-ticket items leaves lots of money on the table for discretionary spending.

I got a complicated, innovative operation down here to fix the hip replacement done wrong in Texas. For a tenth the U.S. price.

Happy to answer any questions.
Wow, who did that surgery, S&S? Where do their surgeons get training? And what does it mean exactly, "at 1/10 the US cost"? I guess US health insurance only pays for 80% (or whatever) of the surgery, so the patient percentage is what you're saying you saved 90% on? Sorry to needle you, but I'm genuinely curious. Where did you get that surgery, in Guayaquil?

How about dental? They probably have some US-trained (or European-trained) dentists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
They like to protest, but have been civilized about it for a very long time. It does not reach the level of "unrest" (ie, nothing as bad as recent unrest in many US cities). I don't know what the healthcare "index" in your link means. I know some Argentinian physicians (as in know them professionally), and they seem normally competent.
Yes, I don't get the "unrest" comment, coming from someone living in Ecuador, LOL!! ZOMG! But "unrest" in Ecuador usually means "only" chronic labor strikes protesting increases in gasoline prices or other consumer goods, taxes, whatever, and marches demanding the ouster of this or that President. IDK how that compares to Argentina.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm skeptical.
I haven't been able to access The WHO rankings, but you can look it up. Here's a different ranking, that does put the US higher. I came across some info during my search, that said many factors go into these rankings, such as equity of health care distribution among the population, cost/accessibility, and so on. So different rankings may emphasize different factors. IOW, when it comes to health care rankings, "it's complicated".

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...e-in-the-world

(Scroll down for the chart.) I don't even see Ecuador on there, for some reason.

According to S&S's chart, we should all move to Taiwan.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-13-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 09:14 AM

OK, here's a WHO paper on health care ranking, that gives their usual chart at the end (scroll down to "Annex"). The US ranks, as always, between Costa Rica and Slovenia, except now they're clustered in the mid-to-high 30's, whereas they used to be in the mid-20's. What happened in the last few years, that all 3 would slip 10 points or more?.
The paper also provides a map of efficiency of health care. Western Europe rates highest there including Norway, but not including Sweden and Finland. Next in line: Canada, Australia and Sweden/Finland.

https://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper30.pdf?ua=1.
Let me know if there's a problem with that link. I had to switch servers to access it. Try using Google Chrome, if you can't get it.

France comes out #1 on this chart.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-13-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 11:56 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Uruguay is worth considering.
https://retirepedia.com/cost-of-livi...ire-there.html

Old 12-13-2021, 12:57 PM

269 posts, read 329,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KobbeKid View Post
The best place in S. America to retire
N. America.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:04 PM

1,078 posts, read 627,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That would be me. Everything Ruth said about the other mountainous areas is true. We are on the coast in an affordable beachfront place. You could google "Canoa" for an idea.

I've said before, our healthcare system is only $80 for us as a couple (and I've used the ER 3 times, free) and property taxes are $45 a year. We don't need a car. Temp is 75 to 85 all year around. Just those 3 bit-ticket items leaves lots of money on the table for discretionary spending.

I got a complicated, innovative operation down here to fix the hip replacement done wrong in Texas. For a tenth the U.S. price.

Happy to answer any questions.
I've been so appreciative of your commentary regarding Ecuador! I see a lot of interest in Manta and would love your insight on this area.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
I do include Uruguay in my recommendations to people looking to retire in Latin America, due to its economic and political stability. A friend of mine moved there to retire a few years ago, and loves it.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
N. America.
I feel the same way. "There's no place like home." But unfortunately, not everyone can afford life in the US, even in the lower COL areas.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:18 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KobbeKid View Post
Interested in safe place for Americans with good health care.
Right where you are, probably.
Most folks of retirement age have lived in the same area for many years. There is nothing like knowing your territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement