Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Time Periods Do You Remember?
Birth to present, almost every year 15 34.88%
First few years, then big gaps 5 11.63%
No memories first few years 12 27.91%
Teen/Young adult years - not much before or after 1 2.33%
Other: Please describe in comments 10 23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 01:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
My first memory is of my second birthday. I was unaware of the significance of what a birthday was but I was so excited that I had a "doll cake" and presents. My grandma was there and she kept telling me what a brave little girl I was because even though my mommy was in the hospital having a baby [younger sister] I wasn't crying. I remember thinking if I had a a cake with a doll in it and new toys because my mom was gone that I would be fine with her staying away.
Our neighbour used to make my sister's doll cakes. I'm assuming you mean the type where a Barbie like figure has her dress as the cake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 05:14 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
My earliest memory was my father taking me with him to do errands, stopping at a bar and me sitting on his knee sipping cold beer.

Texas. Gotta love it.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:14 PM

813 posts, read 600,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Interesting.

Did you have trauma or to what do you atriibute that to?

Are you able to visualize thoughts (a related idea about thinking and memories)?
No trauma, I just don't dwell on past events too much. I am very good at visualizing, but I tend to visualize future events and outcomes. I usually am pretty confident of the outcome of future events because I have planned for them in advance!

Rg

Old 12-20-2021, 12:53 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,072,493 times
I have a few specific memories from when I was a baby:
- crawling before I could walk and "hiding" behind the couch
- with my mother in the bathroom when I threw my glass baby bottle on the floor and it broke - I remember watching the milk run along the corner of the wall near the door
- throwing my plastic baby bottle (perhaps my parents learned by then) against my parents bedroom wall and watching all of the drips it made - years later after the wall was repainted some of the stains from the drips bled through the paint
- peeing in my sisters face (and laughing) when she and her friend were changing my diaper - I remember thinking afterwards that my sister smelled funny because I did that
- riding in the baby buggy to the store with my mother's friend and her baby and being left outside in the buggy (back in the day when people would do such things) since it wouldn't fit in the store, and wondering what was taking her so long to get back
- sitting in my high chair when aunts and uncles came over to visit on holidays

I still have a "smell memory" of the rubber nipple on the baby bottles. It came back to me when we were watching our grandchild!

I have more specific memories by the time I was 3, when I couldn't wait to turn 4 as I considered them to be the "big" kids.

My brothers and sisters said at one point I was very sick with fever as a toddler, but I don't remember that at all. I do remember my "chocolate nightmares" when I ate way too much chocolate one Easter and was incredibly sick, throwing up and literally having nightmares about chocolate. I had to be about 4 or 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement