Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 09:27 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times

Advertisements

Same problem. Clean them in the AM, leave them on my desk overnight, dust spots next morning.

I've been using the Zeiss cleaner for years. 2 8oz spray bottles at Sam's Club for 8 bucks. Lasts a long time. It's been well over a year since my last purchase. However, isopropyl alcohol is 4 bucks for 32oz. I'll keep the spray bottles and try that or dish detergent. Have plenty of both in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 09:50 AM

640 posts, read 449,876 times
About cleaning: All you have to do is run the glasses under warm water and wipe with a clean cotton cloth; I use clean T-shirts for that. If that doesn't clean enough, I use regular dishwashing sponge with a bit of dishwashing liquid and dry the same way.
About grasses becoming dirty: Are these plastic-frame glasses? If yes, they probably sit too close to your face, and the skin oils rub on the glasses. No amount of cleaning will prevent that. This is why I buy only metal-frame glasses with adjustable nose pads. These keep the lenses a bit away from your skin, although the top interior corners might still get smudged a bit.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:42 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
We use the Equate eyeglass cleaner from Wal-Mart which works well. We use old t-shirts cut into squares for cleaning, so much better than anything else we have ever tried.

I have noticed if I blow my nose, some tissues these days seem to have a LOT of particles that stick to my glasses.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:08 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Be care with what you clean your glasses with because if it is too strong, you can damage any coatings on them.

We use a small spray bottle filled mostly with water, then a teaspoon of alcohol, and a drop of dawn.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I also use those little satiny cloths that usually come in the case with new glasses. I keep one in each of my glasses cases, and use it before putting my glasses on. I imagine you could ask at any optician for a few of them. They probably just hand them out if you ask.
Yes, apparently cleaning glasses with either cloth or tissue will degrade the lens over time, no matter how soft they seem. microfiber cloth, referenced above, is the recommended item.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:11 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Be care with what you clean your glasses with because if it is too strong, you can damage any coatings on them.

We use a small spray bottle filled mostly with water, then a teaspoon of alcohol, and a drop of dawn.
Perhaps a teaspoon of alcohol would be okay but alcohol is generally not recommended since as you mention, it can damage the coatings. Also most lenses are made of high tech plastics, not glass, so I would also worry about using alcohol on the lense material.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:17 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
I usually grab a tissue but it seems like they all have a touch of lotion in them. Even if they don't say they do.
If I'm not near tissues I use the shirt I'm wearing. If all else fails I just wash them with water.
I like the alcohol suggestion with water. I'll try that.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:01 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Perhaps a teaspoon of alcohol would be okay but alcohol is generally not recommended since as you mention, it can damage the coatings. Also most lenses are made of high tech plastics, not glass, so I would also worry about using alcohol on the lense material.
I've been using it for years with no damage. I first started using it because it was the only ingredient listed on the eyeglass cleaning product sold to me by my optician's office. I don't think they would sell a product that damages the lenses they just sold me. Some websites recommend only using mild dishwashing detergent in water and microfiber cloth to dry. So perhaps that's the safest. I'll continue to use what's been working fine for me.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:53 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Don't get Anti Glare either, it seems to make the glasses cloudy often
So maybe that is my problem

Old 12-19-2021, 12:18 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
I never get coatings. I'll wash them under running water with a drop of dawn after I wash my hands. I keep a 3 ounce spray bottle of alcohol I use with a cotton cloth. When the nosepads start to get yellow I soak my glasses overnight in a tall glass with a mixture of warm water, a little dawn and some oxiclean and rinse them in the morning. My eye doc's assistants use windex.

You need to get into the habit of cleaning your glasses at least as often as you brush your teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement