Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 06:52 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Also, does he really need the 30 pc set? Can he break it down to the top 10 pieces he would use most frequently and then wait for sales or even to see if he needs the other pieces? That's how I built my first set years ago.
This is wise counsel. Even a 10 piece set you usually end up with 80/20 rule in effect for usage, I can't imagine a 30 piece set doesn't have it's share of dust gatherers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
A cheap but still good quality nonstick fry pan for eggs is another.
Yep. There are some folks who are almost rabidly against using anything nonstick, claiming that people who use nonstick don't know how to use stainless steel properly or need to embrace cast iron.

There is nothing wrong with having a nonstick pan or two around for eggs, crepes, scallops, etc. just accept you'll have to replace them every couple years so don't invest too much. I cook mainly on stainless steel and sometimes don't feel like dealing with cast iron just to scramble a quick egg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 07:40 AM

43,061 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
I agree with this. An expensive all clad stock stock pot is not worth the extra cost for a large piece for example.
The le creuset dutch oven is an expensive absolute essential and will last a lifetime.
A cheap but still good quality nonstick fry pan for eggs is another.
I have one of those cheap nonstick pans for my omelets.
Even when I'm careful and only use it for omelets it still gets nicked so I replace every year.
I just can't make a good omelet with my stainless steel pans.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:02 PM

7,500 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
So, just because a couple of you have asked, this is the one he wanted, but it is out of stock. The purchase price was about $3,000, I think, because there is something similar for about $2,800.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...-cookware-set/

As we have almost always been middle-income people (and I was raised blue collar), maybe at least some of you can see why I "raised my eyebrows", lol.

Again, no comments necessary. When it comes back into stock or he finds something else he wants, FINE.

And, of course, that doesn't even include the set of knives he wants. Not sure what kind he wants, but it certainly isn't a set one can pick out at Target!!

I bought a lot of All Clad back in 2009-2010 (when everything was discounted). It is fun to shop at Williams Sonoma; but, I ended up purchasing a set of All Clad (and more pieces) at Macy's during the Friend's and Family deals (25% off). I got a pretty significant discount to Williams Sonoma. I see he's going for the copper core (which were new a decade ago). Those are probably up in price due to the copper also (besides inflation and supply / demand).

I see the Shun knife set I bought is now listed there for $1,200 (on sale for $900). I paid less than $600 (2009-2010). Shun is best for veggies and 2-3 Wusthof in case you need to cut through bone, etc.. So, expect him to spend another $1,000 to $1,500 on knives (I would say). You will never have to repurchase the knives and Shun will sharpen them for free.

I was shopping for a young friend's wedding gift when I realized I had never upgraded my kitchen ware and I decided to do it because I would never, ever need to purchase any of those items again (and that is not stuff that will end up in the landfill). Those pans can never be destroyed. Somehow I made it through 20 years post divorce (during which time I got educated and embarked on a career) with three pieces of revere ware and a couple knives I picked up at Whole Earth.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:03 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I bought a lot of All Clad back in 2009-2010 (when everything was discounted). It is fun to shop at Williams Sonoma; but, I ended up purchasing a set of All Clad (and more pieces) at Macy's during the Friend's and Family deals (25% off). I got a pretty significant discount to Williams Sonoma. I see he's going for the copper core (which were new a decade ago). Those are probably up in price due to the copper also (besides inflation and supply / demand).

I see the Shun knife set I bought is now listed there for $1,200 (on sale for $900). I paid less than $600 (2009-2010). Shun is best for veggies and 2-3 Wusthof in case you need to cut through bone, etc.. So, expect him to spend another $1,000 to $1,500 on knives (I would say). You will never have to repurchase the knives and Shun will sharpen them for free.

I was shopping for a young friend's wedding gift when I realized I had never upgraded my kitchen ware and I decided to do it because I would never, ever need to purchase any of those items again (and that is not stuff that will end up in the landfill). Those pans can never be destroyed. Somehow I made it through 20 years post divorce (during which time I got educated and embarked on a career) with three pieces of revere ware and a couple knives I picked up at Whole Earth.
The Macy's all clad is D3 not D5 now.
Lower quality is usually less expensive.
I bought some all clad this past month for a gift.
William Sonoma had the best prices around which really was a surprise to me when I shopped around.
Not saying D3 isn't good enough because I have never done a side by side.
Good knives are a game changer in the kitchen. My set is mostly wuthof but not the top of line. I also bought 2 sizes of good santuko knives that I use daily. I'd love a better pair of sheers than can cut through bone. Next purchase.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:26 PM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Same for us. Long time marriage. Neither of us asks the other for permission to spend even on higher end purchases. We trust each other not to be stupid - maybe "uninformed" is a better choice of words - and it's worked for forty years.
Pretty much the same here.

Old 12-22-2021, 05:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
My husband and I have always kept our money separate. ..., I do keep an account that I use for house 'stuff,' but it's my money and I do remind him of that.
I kinda wonder how that works out for those who have ZERO financial contribution to the accts for the last 50 yrs...

Old 12-22-2021, 06:18 PM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
William Sonoma had the best prices around which really was a surprise to me when I shopped around.
Good knives are a game changer in the kitchen. My set is mostly wuthof but not the top of line. I also bought 2 sizes of good santuko knives that I use daily. I'd love a better pair of sheers than can cut through bone. Next purchase.
Well, as said before my monster block of Wuesthoff was adopted out. Please with of means something totally different))

If the man wants some pots and knives please let him have them. He does not ask for a boat, a plane, a new house, a new wife, just a couple of pots and knives.

I will gladly introduce him to custom made knives and handles. Actually just gave away the furnace to the local community college program director for a student who needs it. Omg = out of my garage.
All Clad is overrated in my book and most of my Le Creuset was adopted out. A couple of new casserole dishes are still available against shipping, new with tags. There are a couple of proven brands out there that are awesome and pricy. Try Some ridiculously expensive non stick from Williams Sonoma has withstood time of 10+ years, dishwasher and metal utensils but at 250+ a pan. Considering almost daily use - not bad. Start looking at Spring for some uses.

Good tools last a long time. My grandfather was a cook and born somewhere in the 20s. His knives are still around. Sharpened down a bit

A good pan gets handed down.

But back to OP. He could ask for a new stove, vent, refrigerator. Take him to a local Williams Sonoma. Make it a trip it need be. Knives have to sit well in the hand. The most pricey knive will not do it it does not fit the hand!!!!! My hands are as big as a man's and these tiny frilly things just do not work. So I have three identical Santukos 10 inch as my daily knives. Handle fits, no issue deboming a chicken. Others use a paring knife for everything.
Off to the kitchen. There is a smoked ham shank waiting to get into a plate.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:

All I remember is I did compare the same "model" from WS to Macy's and got a better deal at Macy's at the time. I think the D5 had just come out or something (so, that would have been an upgrade and Macy's didn't carry it I don't think). I guess I cheaped out -- LOL.

I never really considered the copper core to my recollection.

Hey maybe when I retire I will go copper core. All I know is I bought enough to fill my bottom cabinets (if it is all stacked right that is). Was I kidding myself I would never have to repurchase? You know, if I hit the lotto I'm going to upgrade to the copper core -- LOL.

I love the Shun Knives; I've not had them sharpened yet. I think one of those Wustof's I had could saw a tree down .

Old 12-22-2021, 07:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I think one of those Wustof's I had could saw a tree down .
I have a Henckels cleaver, it was probably a foolish purchase since it never got used that much. In Asia I used to see so many old folks doing everything with just a cleaver so I thought it would be cool to try that but it's just to weighty for most work.

Home defense though it is probably a one-and-done, even if I lodged it in someone's forearm they would probably go down from the impact.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I have a Henckels cleaver, it was probably a foolish purchase since it never got used that much. In Asia I used to see so many old folks doing everything with just a cleaver so I thought it would be cool to try that but it's just to weighty for most work.

Home defense though it is probably a one-and-done, even if I lodged it in someone's forearm they would probably go down from the impact.

I was already going there in my mind before I even read the next sentence. Too many horror movies as a kid... LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement