Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 05:51 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,236,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
I am 77 years old, in moderately good health, with $250,000 in cash (in an account that has ~$1.25 Million). Just wondering what this community suggest I do with that cash. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Buy $60,000 of physical gold. Give $25,000 to charity. Leave the remaining $165,000 in cash. Rebalance your portfolio. Nothing to see here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 11:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
I am 77 years old, in moderately good health, with $250,000 in cash (in an account that has ~$1.25 Million). Just wondering what this community suggest I do with that cash. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Save it.....use it to live on. Be careful of folks taking advantage.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:32 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times
OP, you've got more years in the used column than available column.
It's your money; go enjoy it, while you still can. Uncle Sam is awaiting the news of your inevitable departure, with his hand held out.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:57 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Jane Austen said it many, many years ago:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Speaking as a long-married wife I'll say that the right wife or husband will be the best investment a person ever makes and the wrong one will be...greatly the opposite.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:19 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Speaking as a long-married wife I'll say that the right wife or husband will be the best investment a person ever makes and the wrong one will be...greatly the opposite.

hear hear

Old 12-31-2021, 02:55 PM

178 posts, read 147,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Bold is mine.

Is that what you meant to say?
Or you meant if you cash in before that.

--------------------

The OP doesn't post often.

It would have helped (and still cane help if the OP comes back) if s/he'd said what they think they'd like to accomplish or what goals, if any, they had for the money.

Some of the responses have been serious, others not so much. But none can be but so helpful without more information from the OP.

----------------------

Even for myself I like the idea of the I-bonds. But I read somewhere that each one has its own account number. They'd have to be laddered. 10K one year, 10K another year, 10 K another year, etc. And I'm trying to simplify my finances not complicate them. Just don't know that I want multiple new things to keep track of.
You are correct that I don’t post much. I wanted to see a wide range of replies without narrowing the scope of the question. But since you are interested in what I want by posting this question, my reply is that I am unsure until I see what others think on this topic. I converted some holdings to cash early last year with the idea that if there a market downturn, it would be nice to have a significant amount of cash in my portfolio. But the market did not decline and I missed some significant gains with that money (Amazon being an example).

So, I got to wondering what others who are retired or nearing retirement might do with that cash. There may be a suggestion (like the one about buying $10,000 worth of bonds) that didn’t occur to me.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post

In 40 years and probably 20 potential "spouses" none, for one reason or another, ever worked out. I did have enough sense to keep my bank accounts to myself, in the process. That IS important. And the outcome is somewhat difficult to predict. There were a lot of close calls, there. (ever date somebody where it took 6 months to realize that they spent time in the pen, yet thinking back - the clues were there all the time?) Love is a funny thing, and as a Taurus, I can tell you, good luv'n is better than a dope trip could ever be and you'll encounter willing and satisfying partners from time to time. As a rule of thumb, a guy who says "let's get out of Dodge" instead of "let's head home" is someone you should dump, handsome manly hunk or not.

My response to the OP actually has to do with denial. It's a problem with old people who still consider themselves fit as a fiddle but nearing 80. You need to rearrange your thought processes to adapt to the reality. In a sense, most stuff in your face (such as the TV or even the internet) is aimed at 40 year olds - something you no longer are, or, seem to imply that being in your 90's is guaranteed to be some pleasant walk in the park - oh, I guess it can be, but not for most. On the other hand, in these blogs, I often see 70 year olds, on yet another road to disappointment, with a "soul full of hope" obviously trying to make up for the last 50 years of mistakes and shortcomings, even though the odds are against you on many levels. That's yet another example of denial.

If stashing and hoarding your assets is something you're good at and it gives ya a little tiingle in between your legs, go ahead and do it no matter how old you are - but don't do it just because some 40 year old tells you to.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-31-2021 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-31-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How much do you currently take from the $1+ million account for living expenses on an annual basis?
My wife and I take the RMD each year (about $40,000 to $50,000), and that usually lasts for 5 or 6 months. Then we usually take about another $40,000, give or take. We have about $85,000 a year in income aside from our investments.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:48 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
My wife and I take the RMD each year (about $40,000 to $50,000), and that usually lasts for 5 or 6 months. Then we usually take about another $40,000, give or take. We have about $85,000 a year in income aside from our investments.
So you yearly spending is about 125-135K is that about right. Your 85k is pensions and SS?
Sorta like the scenario I suggested. Difference is your fixed 85K is lower than your annual expenses.

Many folks don't realize that folks with pensions are also savers and investors and can have a decent annual income like yours and a good investment addition like yours.

I would caution that your combined RMD and additional withdrawal could result in your nest egg declining faster than you may want. You may want to put cash to work to help your investments grow faster. It is two late now but opening a Treasury Direct Account either with TIN for both you and your wife or two separate accounts would have allowed you to put 40k to work at 7.12 for now withing a weeks time. That would have been 10k for each of you in 2021 and another 10k each next week. You can still do 20k next week or two.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nice choice
That’s for a used car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement