Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 05:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

Actually, I know people who are okay with spending their last years in a long term care facility. My mother, for one. She has gone so far as to make us promise to never turn anything off. LTC is not an issue for her at all. My siblings are the same way.

I don't know where you're going with the purpose = employing people to take care of me.
Needing to have a purpose is way overrated when trying to apply it to everyone. It's one of those axioms tossed around and then people repeat it thinking it has some absolute truth or erroneously think it is some sort of axiom which most everyone agrees with.

One can have an enjoyable life and a very enjoyable life without having any particular purpose. Even enjoying nature and plants is enough. Or being interested in many topics, and having interests to pursue....which are intellectual or physical activities or just activities which one delights in, finds interesting or captures one's involvement and satisfaction of endeavor.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-02-2022 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 05:01 PM

1,205 posts, read 937,548 times
Re what I’d do if I live to an extreme old age, if I can see I’ll read, if I can hear I’ll listen to music. The poet Donald hall wrote a series of essays on old age, and in one he marveled that he had lost interest in reading books, which had been a driving interest all his life. Should that happen to me, I’ll get hooked on tv. I’ll also set up a few tablets on my coffee table tuned to different webcams to look at what’s going on in different parts of the world. I’ll get one of the robots which will have been perfected by then to help me put on socks, lift me on and off the toilet, and bring me a cold Diet Coke. Ill gaze wistfully at a digital picture frame that will shuffle lots of old family photos. I’ll look out the window. I’ll have a bird feeder and program my robot to keep it filled. If any birds are left by then.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:36 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Actually, I know people who are okay with spending their last years in a long term care facility. My mother, for one. She has gone so far as to make us promise to never turn anything off. LTC is not an issue for her at all. My siblings are the same way.

I don't know where you're going with the purpose = employing people to take care of me.
Not going anywhere, just making a suggestion as to one perspective.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:38 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Re what I’d do if I live to an extreme old age, if I can see I’ll read, if I can hear I’ll listen to music. The poet Donald hall wrote a series of essays on old age, and in one he marveled that he had lost interest in reading books, which had been a driving interest all his life. Should that happen to me, I’ll get hooked on tv. I’ll also set up a few tablets on my coffee table tuned to different webcams to look at what’s going on in different parts of the world. I’ll get one of the robots which will have been perfected by then to help me put on socks, lift me on and off the toilet, and bring me a cold Diet Coke. Ill gaze wistfully at a digital picture frame that will shuffle lots of old family photos. I’ll look out the window. I’ll have a bird feeder and program my robot to keep it filled. If any birds are left by then.
Love it. But if there are no more birds, I will be ready to go. I love birds.

Let's make sure the bird-feeding robot is available before then.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:44 PM

After seeing how long my dad had to wait for an aide in his assisted living (the aids were wonderful and very kind, just short staffed) I’m counting on those robots! Go engineers!

Old 01-02-2022, 07:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 4,411,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
After seeing how long my dad had to wait for an aide in his assisted living (the aids were wonderful and very kind, just short staffed) I’m counting on those robots! Go engineers!

I would love a robot (Alexa, change the diaper!), but from what I see, they are not particularly advanced. Robots for senior care right now can pretty much just transmit messages somewhere else (eg, to activate a human response if the senior is in trouble) or act as a weird social companion. By way of tasks, they can be instructed to grab something and bring it over, which seems useful for people who are bedridden, but they can't do anything else. If you were to live alone with a robot, I suppose you could program it to open the door for a food delivery or for someone visiting, but in some places that would require the robot to have a backup function of shooting the home intruder if the expected food delivery is in fact not a food delivery.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:16 PM

Ha, good point re opening the door. I’m counting on great strides being made in the next 15/20 years with robotics for seniors, as you say, the science is not there yet. Hope I won’t need the mechanical help until then.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:03 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,028,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would rather die at 70 than end up up living even two months in a nursing home. (I'm 68, now, btw.) Three out of my four grandparents lived to the age of 92, and all of them ended up in nursing homes for two weeks to 18 months before they died.
No, thanks!

Btw, I am sure I would feel differently if I had grandkids or a HUGE interest of some kind or had something on my "bucket list" that I still want to accomplish, but NONE of the above applies to me. If I died tomorrow, I would die happy.
Agree

Old 01-03-2022, 05:45 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would rather die at 70 than end up up living even two months in a nursing home. (I'm 68, now, btw.) Three out of my four grandparents lived to the age of 92, and all of them ended up in nursing homes for two weeks to 18 months before they died.
No, thanks!

Btw, I am sure I would feel differently if I had grandkids or a HUGE interest of some kind or had something on my "bucket list" that I still want to accomplish, but NONE of the above applies to me. If I died tomorrow, I would die happy.
I am 73. I would rather not die at 70.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:41 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,707,701 times
I'm going to be the first 100+ year old to complete the Boston Marathon. God willing. Drooling or whatever. Lots of potty breaks I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement