Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:14 AM

6,885 posts, read 11,254,137 times

Advertisements

My appointment is coming up this month. I've already called and they cannot move it up.

The doctor is out of town (vacation) until the 6th. I go on the 14th so pretty close.

I last went in July 2021.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 10:37 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,653,490 times
I've had dry macular degeneration since my early 30s, not getting any better.

I avoid driving after dusk at all costs. This has put a bit of a kubosh on our symphony shows, but so has Covid.

Diminished eyesight and being unable to drive is another reason I'll probably move to a senior housing place if I outlive my husband, which I probably won't. Pays to think ahead tho.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:22 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,119,530 times
I have been noticing a change in my vision, too. I will be 80 in April (gasp!!) and I think age does have something to do with it.
A few months ago I took a ride in an ambulance because it was thought I had a stroke. Thankfully, not a stroke. But Bell's palsy, which is a problem in many ways. Still dealing with it. I've been told it can last a very long time.
While in hospital, I had a CT head done which showed something wrong with the left cornea. Also low pressure in right eye. I have glaucoma and did have surgery for it in both eyes 2010/2011.
I've spent a lot of time feeling bad about it, mad about the limitations I have. But the good news is I am still alive and kicking and imagine a lot more years of life.
I'm working at adapting.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:25 PM

363 posts, read 286,416 times
is there any reason you have not considered LASIK?

Old 01-03-2022, 01:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,254,137 times
Smile Had to have it done the old way

Due to no vision in the left eye, most doctors (37 of them) declined to do the surgery at all - LASIK or otherwise. This was in 1992.

I had the surgery done the old fashioned way - went into the hospital. I was there for 2 days just in case.

They did an implant.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:54 PM

5,769 posts, read 11,393,006 times
I'm age 67 and use generic reading glasses with a magnification of 1.5 for reading or computer / smartphone use (Foster Grant 3-pack on sale $14 at Costco). When not reading or looking at the computer, I don't use or feel like I need glasses (except polarized sunglasses outside). I'll probably visit an eye doctor sometime in the next year or so, just for a routine eye exam. I have not had an eye exam in the past 8 years.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:53 PM

16,006 posts, read 7,056,509 times
My prescription had not changed from a year ago. But I find I cant see well in the dark, like the normal kind of darkness of the interior of the car. At night the lights dont seem bright enough to distinguish shapes. Is it possible you can have normal eyesight during the day but at night you have diminished vision?

Old 01-04-2022, 01:19 AM

6,157 posts, read 4,536,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I have been to so many eye doctors in my life. Close to 50. Even ones associated with the Universities.

Bascom Palmer in Miami - I have been there; can't do anything.

I really like my current eye doctor. He is 47. Well connected and up on things. Seems to care. Spends a good deal of time with me.

The funny thing is that over the past 10 days, my computer usage has been way down and my eyes have seemed worse. We had a 5 day drive to NJ so maybe that is part of it but I did wear sunglasses 80% of the time.

Just wondering if I cut out all sugars and lost weight if that would help.....

The vision seems better at night than in the day. I know - weird.
Better at night than in the day sounds like classic cataract. I know you said you had cataract surgery, but there's something called secondary cataract.

I have hard crystals on the back of my lens cap and if the sun is bright, I can't see a single thing, I'm simply blinded by refraction; it's all brightness and impossible to stand. Lower light is more comfortable, though I use a daylight bulb to sew.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:43 AM

483 posts, read 903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
weirdly my vision improved after I retired. I went to renew my license and I managed to pass the eye test.

The lady at the counter asked me if I still worked and what kind. And had I spent a lot of time in front of a computer. And yes - all that computer time had been cut way down. Of course she isn't a professional eye person, but she said she had seen it happen many times.
My distance vision improved significantly after retirement while my near vision has deteriorated. I could always get by without reading glasses but now I find myself needing them to see whats on the dinner plate! There seems to be a correlation between becoming less nearsighted and losing upclose vision.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:58 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My prescription had not changed from a year ago. But I find I cant see well in the dark, like the normal kind of darkness of the interior of the car. At night the lights dont seem bright enough to distinguish shapes. Is it possible you can have normal eyesight during the day but at night you have diminished vision?
Classic symptom of cataracts. See an ophthalmologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement