Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:48 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,095,204 times

Advertisements

Four mainstream supermarkets, and two large Indian groceries, all within walking distance. Spoiled for choice since I like to do it! For Asian grocery, I actually have to drive for 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 12:53 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
We both do, but at different stores and places.

I just go to our little small grocery store here about once a week. I just went there today to get milk and bread.

He also likes to go to SAMs to get large quantities - coffee pods, bacon, eggs, paper towels, toilet paper

I also order from the Schwan's food truck once a month

Old 01-09-2022, 02:04 PM

11,273 posts, read 9,894,595 times
I do what I call the "big shopping" at one of our local grocery stores about once every 2 weeks. In other words buying the majority of the staples, vegetables, frozen stuff, etc. And then I go every 4 or 5 days for last minute stuff like fresh veg, or more milk. We go to Costco together once a month, although sometimes I go by myself once in a while. Hubby goes to the local grocery about twice a week to get his favorite stuff, and the stuff I would never dream of buying on a regular basis. That usually consists of big containers of cut-up fruit, half gallons of juice, cookies, ice cream sandwiches, Cheerios, Raisin Bran, pastries, etc. He has some weird sort of metabolism. He eats about 3000-4000 calories a day, a lot of it is juice and fruit, or bread/toast/cereal. He thinks it's healthy, but it's far too much sugar/carbs. I won't buy all that stuff. He has only about 6% body fat and it's pretty much impossible for him to gain weight, even though he tries. He also drinks the Boost Plus, 350 calories for a 6-8 oz serving trying to keep his weight up. The doctor says he's fine, for him this is normal. His blood sugar, and other blood counts are normal. He's always been this way. After he stopped drinking beer, he had to increase his food intake to keep from losing weight. It's annoying as hell. LOL. I look at a carb and gain a lb.

So I go once or twice a week ,and he goes about twice a week, and Costco once a month.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:28 PM

881 posts, read 625,916 times
Instacart does all our grocery shopping. I always give them a big tip because it makes my life easier and is worth it.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:33 PM

15,259 posts, read 13,087,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Instacart does all our grocery shopping. I always give them a big tip because it makes my life easier and is worth it.
I like to send an Instacart shopper to Costco.

Once I had an Instacart shopper who, after depositing the groceries near the door, said "I'd like to do a little thank you dance for you." I laughed, so she did. I still have the video from the Ring.

It's too bad you can't request the same shopper all the time.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:24 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,856,389 times
This brought that fond memories of Bruce. We would do most errands together, due to his disability I did the driving. When we went to the market, he go somewhere e!se, then, when he returned, I'd notice an item in the cart, not on the list. It jumped into the cart he'd reply. It got to be a joke as I would do it too !

Old 01-09-2022, 03:43 PM

4,532 posts, read 5,105,693 times
We do it together and then go out for a nice lunch, been doing it for years.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:55 PM

141 posts, read 210,096 times
I do all of it, whether in store on online/delivery.
My husband would have no clue what we need.
He does do all the laundry so it's a happy trade-off

Old 01-09-2022, 04:15 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,893,430 times
I place the order online and then go and pick it up. They put it in the trunk of the car and it only costs $3.00 extra. I hate grocery shopping.

When covid cases are low I enjoy going to a tiny discount grocery store that gets overstocks from places like Whole Foods and other expensive stores. I love a bargain, love organic foods, and I love getting it all in one cute little store.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 688,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
We do it together and then go out for a nice lunch, been doing it for years.
Where are the groceries while you're dining?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement