Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 11:42 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times

Advertisements

I found a post in a professional networking forum asking what "additional perks" can a employer offer you to STOP YOU from joing the #GREAT RESIGNATION?

The survey included:
1. Working only 4 days a week (four 8-hour days, not 10-hour days)
2. A pay increase
3. Unlimited vacation time
etc.

I find none of the options really explain why peopel choose to resign/ retired, so I'd figure what better answer than straight from the mouth of people who has actually pull the plug and retire?

This is one of my "unscientific theory" why many chose to retire (you'll tell me if I am right or wrong) - the Pandemic has made people realized it's not worth it making the drive to work and only be subject to catching the virus from coworkers. This plus last year's liberal federal additional unemployment assistance has made retired early possible. After many experienced working from home (WFH) and the liberty/ freedom they enjoyed, when the company demanded they return to the office, they just decided to [mod cut] retired.

At some point, I'd figure folks decided they can "make-do" financially if they just retired. They wanted the control of their lives to spend the time on activities they enjoy doing, or spending them with loved ones.

Another factor I read often in this forum is poor management in treating the workers. People felt they were not valued at the work place and/or being "abused" by management in terms of their job assignments/ hours, etc.

Share the reason why you retired!

Last edited by volosong; 01-13-2022 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: no profanity, implied or expressed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 11:59 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
I didn’t resign, Covid killed my job so TPTB paid me to go away. The timing couldn’t have been better. I was already two years past my first retirement threshold at 60 and was frankly, done. Sold our house, relocated, built another house, etc. I’d rather be lucky than good!

Old 01-12-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I didn’t resign, Covid killed my job so TPTB paid me to go away. The timing couldn’t have been better. I was already two years past my first retirement threshold at 60 and was frankly, done. Sold our house, relocated, built another house, etc. I’d rather be lucky than good!
Always better to be lucky than good!

As I learned a long time ago, the best revenge is to live well.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:17 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I retired at 57 after a 31 year career with the same state agency in Oregon. I'd accomplished everything I set out to do, had hired an assistant who I had confidence could run the show in my absence, and was beginning to tire of the political game we had to play. That was over 10 years ago, and I don't regret it for a second.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:21 PM

663 posts, read 433,666 times
At 65 I could afford to not work.
Medical was covered.

So I retired.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:22 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Burn-out, or rather the fear I would burn-out soon. Finances were adequate, no future promotional opportunities at work, a list of things I would like to accomplish outside of work, being the oldest in the Dept with no others close in age, no work projects on the horizon which lit my fires, etc

Old 01-12-2022, 12:23 PM

408 posts, read 259,759 times
I was 6 months from the date that I wanted to retire and got laid off due to the pandemic.
Got 4 months pay so I said that I retired 2 months early.
Still play golf and have the occasional dinner with my boss that laid me off.
I tell him that he did my a huge favor.
Still have lunch with my co-workers a couple of times a month.
I go skeet shooting with the manager of the other department.
Enjoying time with my wife that also retired due to the pandemic.
Life is good.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Burn-out, or rather the fear I would burn-out soon. Finances were adequate, no future promotional opportunities at work, a list of things I would like to accomplish outside of work, being the oldest in the Dept with no others close in age, no work projects on the horizon which lit my fires, etc
I retired from the government 6 months after I was promoted to GS-15, the highest grade a civilian employee can reach without being selected for Senior Executive Service (SES). Several people has told me to hang in there for another 2.5 years in order to get the "high 3" on federal pension. But I had enough of government politics so I ended up retired.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:14 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Loved what I did and still give them one day a week and likely will do so as long as I can but I left to pursue other interests ..

Went back to drumming and photography

Old 01-12-2022, 01:19 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Wanted to get back into music full time, and retired when I had the funds to pursue this dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement