Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:09 PM

1,550 posts, read 1,204,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Loved my job, but when I found out that my pension would pay more then working, I retired. No sense paying to go to work.

They pay me more to goof off all day.
Curious - how can the pension pay more than working? I will have a pension, but no matter how long I worked, it would never be more than my work pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 01:17 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,282,278 times
When I was age 55, my company made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

They paid my salary for another year. Enhanced my pension benefit, paid for my retiree medical, vested my stock options, and offered a host of other wonderful enhancements. Of course, you don't see these great benefits anymore, but they were wonderful back in the day.

I'm retired for almost twenty years and it's been fantastic. Of course, covid has put a crimp in my plans and activities. Always travelled internationally several times a year. That's on hold now. Alas.

We may not be the greatest generation, but we are booming!

Old 01-13-2022, 01:19 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,996,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Curious - how can the pension pay more than working? I will have a pension, but no matter how long I worked, it would never be more than my work pay.
A fellow coworker retired from the government except he was under the CSRS retirement systems (rest of us newbies were under the FERS). I talked to him after he retired and he confirmed that his monthly SCRS payment is HIGHER than his salary AFTER TAX TAKE HOME PAY if he continues to work.

A simple way to look at this is a CSRS benefit can be has high as 70% of your current salary, figue your income tax bracket is 35~40% then you'd get a higher pay being retired rather than continue working. This is not including the COST of commuting to work, lunch money, etc.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
When I was age 55, my company made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

They paid my salary for another year. Enhanced my pension benefit, paid for my retiree medical, vested my stock options, and offered a host of other wonderful enhancements. Of course, you don't see these great benefits anymore, but they were wonderful back in the day.

I'm retired for almost twenty years and it's been fantastic.
Boy, they REALLY wanted to get rid of you!!

Old 01-13-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Health reasons. Installed floor covering for 45 years. Just could not do it anymore. Also hand built furniture. Inflation killed that.
No kidding. Who could?

I get tired just from bending over doing gardening these days. I take frequent rests.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I do not have any details about this particular situation, but in general pensions can provide more net pay because there are no FICA deductions from a defined benefit pension plan as opposed to wages. So there is an immediate 7.65% boost there. Also, in many jurisdictions pensions are not included in net income for state income tax purposes so there is also the increase of not paying state income taxes.

Separate from the tax benefits, is not uncommon for rich union plans to provide annual pensions larger than the average wages earned by the retirees.

"Jeff Fabre, who retired from the [Nassau County Police ] department this year, will receive $221,086 annually, the highest amount of all retirees this year belonging to pension system.

Anthony Ovchinnikoff of Clarkstown who is set to receive $198,701 annually. And Thomas Cokeley of Ramapo and Edmund Leahy of Yonkers will begin earning $180,656 and $177,778, respectively."

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/pol...ns/1933375001/

Last edited by Lillie767; 01-13-2022 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Boy, they REALLY wanted to get rid of you!!

They only thought they did. They hired me back as a consultant six months after I left. The man who was given my job, contrary to my recommendation, was so incompetent, I had to spend six months training him. I made them pay me as a consultant almost twice the amount they paid me as an employee.

Life was good and then got better!

Old 01-13-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
A fellow coworker retired from the government except he was under the CSRS retirement systems (rest of us newbies were under the FERS). I talked to him after he retired and he confirmed that his monthly SCRS payment is HIGHER than his salary AFTER TAX TAKE HOME PAY if he continues to work.

A simple way to look at this is a CSRS benefit can be has high as 70% of your current salary, figue your income tax bracket is 35~40% then you'd get a higher pay being retired rather than continue working. This is not including the COST of commuting to work, lunch money, etc.
Okay, I get it - NET PAY. Those were some lucky ducks!!

Old 01-13-2022, 01:47 PM

37,715 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Obviously that person must have had a lot of deductions (perhaps contributions to retirement funds?) coming out of their pay. If someone is contribution a really substantial portion, then the NET of the pension could be as much or greater than their NET paycheck.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I do not have any details about this particular situation, but in general pensions can provide more net pay because there are no FICA deductions from a defined benefit pension plan as opposed to wages. So there is an immediate 7.65% boost there. Also, in many jurisdictions pensions are not included in net income for state income tax purposes so there is also the increase of not paying state income taxes.

It is not uncommon for rich union plans to provide annual pensions larger than the average wages earned by the retirees.

"Jeff Fabre, who retired from the [Nassau County Police ] department this year, will receive $221,086 annually, the highest amount of all retirees this year belonging to pension system.

Anthony Ovchinnikoff of Clarkstown who is set to receive $198,701 annually. And Thomas Cokeley of Ramapo and Edmund Leahy of Yonkers will begin earning $180,656 and $177,778, respectively."

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/pol...ns/1933375001/
My pension income will be taxable income. But it's still going to be minimal as SS income is not taxed in my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement