Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 01:51 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,210,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Obviously that person must have had a lot of deductions (perhaps contributions to retirement funds?) coming out of their pay. If someone is contribution a really substantial portion, then the NET of the pension could be as much or greater than their NET paycheck.
... then add ss income to that. Sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 02:15 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

They only thought they did. They hired me back as a consultant six months after I left. The man who was given my job, contrary to my recommendation, was so incompetent, I had to spend six months training him. I made them pay me as a consultant almost twice the amount they paid me as an employee.

Life was good and then got better!
BEST REVENGE is to live & get paid well.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,986,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Obviously that person must have had a lot of deductions (perhaps contributions to retirement funds?) coming out of their pay. If someone is contribution a really substantial portion, then the NET of the pension could be as much or greater than their NET paycheck.
I purposely maxed out my 401K contributions the last two years I worked to get used to living on my pension income. Then I paid off the mortgage, all credit cards and tore them up to be debt free. Then we only needed one car, and I saved on clothes, dry cleaning, commuting, buying breakfast and lunch and coffee at work. Add in SS and RMD's and 16 years of colas and I am netting more now than I was the day I retired.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:18 PM

15,064 posts, read 12,262,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Curious - how can the pension pay more than working? I will have a pension, but no matter how long I worked, it would never be more than my work pay.

I think my husband's federal pension (under the pre 1983, think it was) retirement system, pays around the same amount as his salary from the federal government did. It comes out that much as he doesn't have all the deductions taken out of his pension that he did out of his salary when he was working. He still does get a hefty portion deducted for our secondary health insurance, though.

I have a state pension ( not one of the blue states, so it's not a princely sum). Between that and the social security I get, it comes out to about as much as I made with that employer when I was working.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:53 PM

4,904 posts, read 4,852,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I didn’t resign, Covid killed my job so TPTB paid me to go away. The timing couldn’t have been better. I was already two years past my first retirement threshold at 60 and was frankly, done. Sold our house, relocated, built another house, etc. I’d rather be lucky than good!
Yep. My employer and I mutually agreed that I had there too long and they were willing to pay me a tidy sum to leave. I was than happy to be paid for not working.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:33 PM

37,760 posts, read 46,236,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
... then add ss income to that. Sweet.
Yup. It can be. My pension won't be anywhere near that. But with my SS added to it, it will be quite sufficient.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:39 PM

37,551 posts, read 61,635,250 times
Adding SS into the revenue stream can make a big difference.

I got my pension in 2001. In 2021 [twenty years later] I became eligible to start receiving SS on top of my pension.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:40 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 13 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,376,397 times
I retired early due to disability - two bad knees.

My employer had the option to find me a different job within the company, but at the time they were sort of downsizing (around 10 years ago). They were closing the facility i worked in.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:46 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Adding SS into the revenue stream can make a big difference.

I got my pension in 2001. In 2021 [twenty years later] I became eligible to start receiving SS on top of my pension.
You must've lived a thrifty life.

I can't imagine an E-6 pension anywhere being luxurious. Glad that you made it work.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:51 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,210,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think my husband's federal pension (under the pre 1983, think it was) retirement system, pays around the same amount as his salary from the federal government did. It comes out that much as he doesn't have all the deductions taken out of his pension that he did out of his salary when he was working. He still does get a hefty portion deducted for our secondary health insurance, though.

I have a state pension ( not one of the blue states, so it's not a princely sum). Between that and the social security I get, it comes out to about as much as I made with that employer when I was working.
Same here. My goal is to duplicate my job's net pay (at least), with my pension plus SS. I have an investment portfolio, but don't figure that into the equation. That will be a nest egg that I would use for emergencies or big, unexpected expenses, or a splurge here and there, or to pay for whatever will pop up near the end (as something surely will). I don't want to count on investment income for my living expenses. So if I can hang in there with the job for two more years when I hit 65, I will exceed my net pay a bit. But more importantly, Medicare will start at 65. Insurance is the BIG fly in the ointment for me. Otherwise, I would probably work only one more year. Not sure what to do with my home's equity at some point. But good to know it's there if I need it too. At least that's as far as I've gotten with "The Plan". So much to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement