Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 02:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Why did I retire ?

Because management was a bunch of first class Jerks. <----- With a capital "J". I won't get into it or I'll never fall asleep.
Be careful... Don't go Postal!

Many managers are very fortunate to still be alive, their staff / company / shareholders are not so fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 04:08 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,371,820 times
"Why did you retire?"...when I dreaded the arrival of Friday....'cause I knew it would be Monday again all too soon.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:44 AM

3,275 posts, read 1,753,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Many managers are very fortunate to still be alive, their staff / company / shareholders are not so fortunate.
The temptation to "go postal"struck when I had a question about the 401 plan they had and I sent a letter asking for clarification on this. They took the time to make a photocopy of a page of the employee handbook (from 12 years & multiple changes ago !) which I signed, stating "I have read and understand the contents of this manual" - without acknowledging my question or the changes to policy. Which would have taken less time & effort to respond to.

All the better to retire and never see them again. I do sent a postcard from time to time. Me on a warm beach, cocktail in hand or having fun with the caption "Glad you're not here."

There's on old Klingon proverb stating "The best revenge is served cold."

And that is called "Living well".

Old 01-20-2022, 10:47 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Why did you retire?"...when I dreaded the arrival of Friday....'cause I knew it would be Monday again all too soon.
To be perfectly honest, I am still looking forward to Mondays, now that I work from home. I thought I would be dreading it by now. I like the routine I guess. Definitely will have to replace that with another routine after I retire!

Old 01-20-2022, 11:40 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

At 52, my age and tenure qualified me for full retirement thanks to a change to the retirement system that was initiated to get the higher paid employees off the payroll. That was unfortunately labeled as getting rid of the "dead wood", which pissed a lot of people off who had been carrying the organization for years. Not surprisingly, here was a rush for the door. Just a couple years before that the Governor appointed a new director of the department -- a hapless idiot and my immediate boss. Work was increasingly stressful by the time I retired. My wife was a few years older and had retired about 18 months before me, so I simply took advantage of the situation and parachuted to a pleasant retirement while we both could enjoy it. There was not much that could be done to make me stay on. The assistant director tried to have me come back as a contract consultant, but he had a serious heart attack in the middle of the effort which I considered an omen and fled, never looking back.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:43 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
At 52, my age and tenure qualified me for full retirement .
Tenure... were you a professor?

Old 01-20-2022, 09:39 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
How do you retire prior to 62 or 65? I'm not quite there yet and my property taxes alone are around $8K+ a year. I'm assuming you don't dare touch your pension/retirement early and you can't collect SSI. Unless you have a million in savings, how do you get by without a salary every month?
I got Social Security Disability and a small disability pension. And i moved to a state with lower property taxes and auto insurance. (moved from NJ to Maine)

Old 01-21-2022, 05:34 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
This comment reminds me of a situation that I was in, back in the late 70s.

My employer got roped into a "crash program", as a contracted Government supplier, and we had to meet an absolutely insane delivery schedule. I, and a couple of my co-workers, were working 12 hour shifts, 13 days consecutively, then one day off. Then 13 on, 1 day off. This went on for 3-4 months.

Needles to say, this was totally exhausting, and mentally draining. As this ordeal dragged on, it became difficult to even remember what day it was, and as I got out of bed one day, to head out to work, I said to myself, "Thank God it's Friday, and only one more day left, this week". That illusion was shattered, about a half hour later, as I picked up the newspaper from my front porch, looked at the header of the paper, and it read, Monday, whatever, whatever.

I was totally deflated, as the reality sank in that this was the beginning of another week, not the end.....

Old 01-21-2022, 01:11 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
I retired because I detested my job and the commute had become dangerous. I was carjacked twice in the last 2 years of my job. I worked as an inner city High School teacher in LA.... a hellish, hellish job.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:50 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
^^ Well, that trumps all the reasons I've seen so far. Geez.

Thank goodness you made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement