Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 03:29 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Galaxy, you have put up with so much disrespect that I am amazed that you can even stand to look at your spouse. There’s much worse things then living alone. I actually am really enjoying not having to care for anyone and not having to clean up my ex’s constant messes. One of you will care for the other until death and then the last one will be alone. I have joined a few senior meetup groups and enjoy both the female and male companionship in addition to my friends and family. My life is full and happy with a lot less stress. Fluffythewondercat has been miserable in her marriage for a long time. I am hoping she finds peace and happiness.
I find that introverts (like myself) do better with living alone, but even extroverts can deal with that by keeping busy as TeacherTerry said. I am close to Fluffy's age and time will tell if they are able to disengage. I was only married for 17 years and I had a really hard time disengaging emotionally even though we were not getting along at all, and the marriage was over.

It takes time and effort to disengage. It takes focus and determination. IMO life is too short (esp at our age) to keep dealing with someone who makes you unhappy and stresses you out so much that you constantly complain and dream about a different life. Life is short, and getting shorter. I'm of the school of thought do it sooner than later because in my case, my health took a dive before her age. If I hadn't left until Fluffy's age, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable or confident leaving and I probably wouldn't have. Nobody knows what the future holds. I did not expect the health problems I have. Carpe Diem, as they say.

Part of the process of disengaging is not worrying about how the other person will do after the permanent split. Negotiating good financial terms is crucial to making the split permanent and happy. Hiring a barracuda lawyer who really fights for you is crucial especially if the other person holds the cards/money. People like to hate attorneys until the attorney does a good job for them or literally saves their butt.

I too wish Fluffy a new and happier life, sooner than later. Only time will tell if and when that will happen. What we all do know is that it happens when it happens and not when other people think it should. She is smart and resourceful from what I can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 03:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I wish her well, too, but wonder why every other post in the "Retirement" forum is about Fluffy's relationship...

Old 01-16-2022, 03:37 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
People keep wondering that... I'm pretty new compared to a lot of others here, my impression is that retired people congregate here to discuss things that they are interested in and that matter a lot to them. I'm not sure why so many people take issue with that?

If C-D wants to create a Boomer Forum maybe that would help. They're (C-D) not stupid, I'm sure they've already thought of it.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
At least create a thread called "Fluffy's Relationship" so we know what we're getting into...

Old 01-16-2022, 03:56 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wish her well, too, but wonder why every other post in the "Retirement" forum is about Fluffy's relationship...
Its a "CATastrophe"!!

Old 01-16-2022, 05:04 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
They are not getting divorced.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It’s all the adoration, oops—attention.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:11 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They are not getting divorced.
Agreed. This is their foreplay.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:29 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Agreed. This is their foreplay.
yep! Make up sex!!! lol

Old 01-17-2022, 12:36 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
If someone gets up in the morning and watches the news, that's trouble right there. You need to search for news from trusted sources, not have it spoon-fed by the MSM. Also, some people need time (some a lot of time) to really wake up, so striking a conversation then would be counterproductive. Finally, even retired people may have things to do and feel rushed in the morning.

I'd say exactly the opposite: In the evening, after the work and chores are done, you two get together to have a relaxed dinner and perhaps watch a movie on TV together. It works!
Just out of curiosity, what is your definition of a "trusted news source"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement