Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 02:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In my mind, an Rv has a motor you drive it. A trailer has wheels you pull it.

The OP is talking about structures with no wheels.
That's what I thought but the state of Colorado had different ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 02:40 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
To my knowledge, they aren't "legal" in most cities and counties per their housing code enforcement departments. As for being able to live in that small a space, NO problem!!

Old 01-17-2022, 04:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,526,744 times
I live full time in a resort campground. 1 section of the resort is 44 tiny homes. Half of them abut a pond. It's small. Less than 700 sq. ft. with a deck wrapped around 2 sides. But we get to use all the amenities here. It's less than 2 miles to some of the prettiest beach in America. I feed the fish and turtles from my deck.

It's not for everyone. Especially if you are a pack rat. But it works nicely for me.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:01 PM

8,372 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
States that permit tiny homes
Arizona
California
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Washington

States that don't
Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Jersey
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Now the ones who don't, few are outright denial, but are "regulatory" forbidden. Size of exit doors and such.

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/which...low-tiny-homes

The permission for tiny homes is not at the level of the state, but at the level of municipality. To my knowledge, tiny homes are permitted in only one single place in Northern California, ie, in one fairly nice RV park half way between San Francisco and Sacramento. It is called Park Delta Bay. Nowhere else in NorCal that I know of, and the state of California really has no say in it.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:10 PM

That's right. It's not a state law. Each city/county polices its own. Tiny homes under 1500 sf (unless an old structure that's been grandfathered in) and/or RVs are not permitted for full-time human occupation outside a trailer or RV park designed for that specific purpose.

It's the Tiny Home movement's dirty little secret.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:14 PM

30,511 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's right; it's not a state law. Each city/county polices its own. Tiny homes under 1500 sf (unless an old structure that's been grandfathered in) and/or RVs are not permitted for full-time human occupation outside a trailer/RV park designed for that purpose.

It's the Tiny Home movement's dirty little secret.

maybe I'm dense but you seem to contradicting yourself.

Locally, there are a lot of homes less that 1500sf and they're not considered tiny, need no special permit other than what's needed for a larger than 1500sf home.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
maybe I'm dense but you seem to contradicting yourself.

Locally, there are a lot of homes less that 1500sf and they're not considered tiny, need no special permit other than what's needed for a larger than 1500sf home.
At least where I live, NEW CONSTRUCTION or placement, in the case of a pre-made home, must be at least 1500 sf unless in an RV or trailer park (or in another so-designated living community, I suppose, but no tiny home communities exist around here).

I live in an 800 sf home, but it was built in the mid-1800s. So grandfathered in.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:53 PM

37,454 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
To my knowledge, they aren't "legal" in most cities and counties per their housing code enforcement departments.
In my state the minimum size allowed for a house is 120 sq ft.

I often see Amish-built sheds marketed as a house, they are built in a warehouse and delivered to your property on a small trailer.

Which seems odd. I recently constructed some apartments inside an old commercial building, the code I was held to requires apartments to have a minimum of 200 sq ft.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In my state the minimum size allowed for a house is 120 sq ft.

I often see Amish-built sheds marketed as a house, they are built in a warehouse and delivered to your property on a small trailer.

Which seems odd. I recently constructed some apartments inside an old commercial building, the code I was held to requires apartments to have a minimum of 200 sq ft.
Again, it's not usually controlled by "the state," but rather dictated by the individual cities and counties.

Of course, Maine may be an exception! Still pretty wild up there...

Old 01-17-2022, 05:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The permission for tiny homes is not at the level of the state, but at the level of municipality. To my knowledge, tiny homes are permitted in only one single place in Northern California, ie, in one fairly nice RV park half way between San Francisco and Sacramento. It is called Park Delta Bay. Nowhere else in NorCal that I know of, and the state of California really has no say in it.
Yes. there's a tiny home here in my county in an RV park with regular RVs for year 'round living but none in other settings, including ADUs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement