Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 08:59 PM

82 posts, read 206,792 times

Advertisements

Anyone here retire and opt to live in a backyard cottage, "granny flat" or Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)? If you did wonder if you were able to downsize to make it happen say 400 to 500 sq. ft.? Seeing recently that many cities are promoting these now and perhaps a good way to retire on a limited income. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,886 posts, read 58,541,065 times
Great idea! Would this be with your family? That might solve some downsizing issues. If not... Unload to charity, homeless shelters, or museums.

My grandma-in-law lived in a senior cottage community in MN in the 1970s and I'm planning to do that as well. Currently living PT in cottages at my rural rental properties, and at my main home, I plan to transition to our in-home apartment (daylight basement on acreage with a great view).

Downsizing will be via 3 estate auctions. (Each are farms, so a lot of stuff!). Benefit of an auction is that it is a gone in One Day!

I have very large workshops, so living in a cottage is preferred!
I have lived in pretty small apartments in Singapore, Spain, Thailand, Australia, and Canada (a 500sf cabin on an island). I'm outdoors much of the time, so a cottage is fine for sleeping, reading, resting, thinking.

Here are some of the best cottage living I have found. Maybe you can ask around this site. https://localwiki.org/davis/Aggie_Village_Cottages

Another senior co-op living cottage community in Davis, CA has a really nice community building with rec room, commercial kitchen, and apartments for guests and shared caregiver.

If I can't find a cottage community, I may need to build one.

It is very handy to share a homesite, as there is usually someone around to help with garden, chores, rides, mail, snow shoveling, occasional shared meals, lots of shared stuff (including cars, bikes, treats, books, internet, utilities, newspapers, errands...). If you are diligent, (and picky) you can find a delightful situation.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:36 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,635,203 times
I see you mean on someone else's land. "Casitas" in the southwest. As long as you don't mind somebody else in charge, there's still rent that can be jacked just like a mobile home park, you're at somebody else's mercy.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:08 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,087,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I see you mean on someone else's land. "Casitas" in the southwest. As long as you don't mind somebody else in charge, there's still rent that can be jacked just like a mobile home park, you're at somebody else's mercy.
And the innocent homeowner who paid to have an ADU built in their backyard just to make a few extra bucks would be at the mercy of the tenants.

Where I come from, very few people have embraced the idea of ADUs. You really want renters living 15 feet from your home? Renters who come pounding on your door at 2 am? <shudder>

Our California home is on a 6000 sq ft (MOL) lot. An ADU would take up about 2/3rds of the backyard. And let's not even talk about how the on-street parking is already too congested.

We're not Atherton but people who live where we live don't need the money or the headaches from a rental. Especially when the government wants to tell you you can't evict non-payers.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:18 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,635,203 times
I can see all that being a consideration, fluffy!

I was envisioning more the no building permit casitas that are built all over NM. Seems nobody is in charge. Different standards, different expectations.

Last edited by NoMansLands; 01-16-2022 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-16-2022, 11:42 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,087,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I can see all that being a consideration, fluffy!

I was envisioning more the no building permit casitas that are built all over NM. Seems nobody is in charge. Different standards, different expectations.

Yeah, I don't know New Mexico well at all but I have no difficulty believing what you say. I'll bet they have those Earthships, too.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:51 AM

4,920 posts, read 4,881,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yeah, I don't know New Mexico well at all but I have no difficulty believing what you say. I'll bet they have those Earthships, too.
Here you go.
https://www.earthshipglobal.com/visit-us

Old 01-16-2022, 12:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,609,555 times
if you need the money,why not?
The homeowners in London do that,one would get you 400 GBP,2 get you 800 GBP,and their backyard is pretty small by city standard.
I see it in Flroida,a woman hair stylist converted her garage to an apartment and allow the tenant who is a shampoo lady in her salon rent the place for $600 and let
her use the washer and dryer.
h

Old 01-16-2022, 12:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,609,555 times
Better than AIRBNB

Old 01-16-2022, 12:39 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,541,338 times
My 7,000 sq.ft. lot with my 800 sq.ft. house is zoned for an ADU. I didn't really understand that and put my house smack in the middle. Anyway, I can't afford to build an ADU and will leave it for the next owner to consider. Had a woman who comes from wealth see my house and she asked if it was my ADU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement