Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 11:15 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

"M...I...C...
See you real soon!
K...E...Y...
Why? Because we like you!
M...O...U...S...E!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 11:21 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Plastics
When I hear that, I think of 'The Graduate'.

1967, Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, and Katharine Ross

Old 02-05-2022, 11:24 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Okay, I bite. Was there a secret meaning to that word when in The Return of the Pink Panther when Catherine Schell says it to Peter Sellers (Inspector Clouseau) about her absent husband, Lord Litton that "He's in plastics.....industrial plastics.".

It is really a soaker to jokes to know that there is a literal existence to them, such as the childhood joke of how do you spell eyecup.......for there really is such a thing as an eyecup.

As to current terms, someone called me a "Karen" tonight.....and the meaning was lost to me for, like calling CONDOR Brandon, I wasn't around to have that significance locked into me.
“Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.”
— Ben Braddock, The Graduate

Old 02-05-2022, 11:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
“Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.”
— Ben Braddock, The Graduate

Well, if you say so, Mr. Bond.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:05 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereWarm View Post
Many commercials that I remember have already been mentioned.

A couple more ..

"My Bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R"

"I'd like to buy the world a Coke"

"See the USA in a Chevrolet"

"A silly millimeter longer (101)"

"Cigars, cigarettes, Tiparillos?"

I remember more commercials than I do things I learned in school.
You are not alone in remembering commercials more.

Years ago we went to see the Christmas tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. Someone in the crowd started singing Christmas carols and people joined in. The first well known line started off strong and then trailed off and stopped when not as many people knew the less familiar lines. Singing the carols finally died down and stopped.

There was a slight pause and then someone began singing the Jetson’s cartoon song and everyone jumped in. It was sung loudly with enthusiasm and gusto clear to the end. The Flintstones, then Addams Family with the finger clicking were next and other jingles followed. When those ran out, they started singing commercials. These finally wound down too as fewer people knew all the words to lesser known jingles.

More people in the crowd knew all the words to TV songs than any of the carols.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-06-2022 at 06:28 AM..

Old 02-06-2022, 03:03 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Okay, I bite. Was there a secret meaning to that word when in The Return of the Pink Panther when Catherine Schell says it to Peter Sellers (Inspector Clouseau) about her absent husband, Lord Litton that "He's in plastics.....industrial plastics.".

It is really a soaker to jokes to know that there is a literal existence to them, such as the childhood joke of how do you spell eyecup.......for there really is such a thing as an eyecup.

As to current terms, someone called me a "Karen" tonight.....and the meaning was lost to me for, like calling CONDOR Brandon, I wasn't around to have that significance locked into me.
I thought "plastic" was from The Graduate. Was said to Dustin Hoffman.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:21 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Oh my aching back!

Old 02-06-2022, 03:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I thought "plastic" was from The Graduate. Was said to Dustin Hoffman.
Well, as it has been noted up above, yes......just I never took that away from that movie. As I recall, there was Dustin in the full wet suit, the dorm scene with some up and coming stars, Dustin screaming from the gallery that Katherine Ross must go free, stealing her, barring the church door, and off they go on the bus.

Oh, well, some of the stuff you miss when you are out of the country....just like Mean Mary Jean.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:23 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Handful of senators don't pass legislation.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:54 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,463 times
Quote:
Well, as it has been noted up above, yes......just I never took that away from that movie. As I recall, there was Dustin in the full wet suit, the dorm scene with some up and coming stars, Dustin screaming from the gallery that Katherine Ross must go free, stealing her, barring the church door, and off they go on the bus.

Oh, well, some of the stuff you miss when you are out of the country....just like Mean Mary Jean.
Elaine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement