Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 10:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I had wine with dinner from the time I was 6 or 7, well to be fair it was water with a tiny bit of wine in it lol but that was my dad's way of introducing wine without making it something to get drunk on. I still drink wine with my dinner (without watering it down of course) old habits die hard. At about the same age we quit drinking milk with our meals, one of my parents decided it was for infants and baby calves and we only had it on cereal. Yes, I had strange parents but strange in a good way I think.
Sounds as if they had a lot of sense.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
That’s when we still had a milk box on the porch, and the milkman delivered milk every day in glass bottles.

And this was in The Bronx.
Same about 35 miles to the west in north Jersey.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sounds as if they had a lot of sense.
They did and I'm not sure where they got some of their "theories", but I will never forget the day my paternal grandmother taught me why we only eat butter never margarine. I think I was 4 or 5. She started out by telling me that we 'burn the food we eat' to turn it into energy. Then she got out two frying pans she put margarine in one and butter in the other turned the heat up and told me to watch the pans. I did and commented that the butter burned but the margarine didn't. She said 'exactly right, so which one do you want to put in your body'? I have never bought margarine or used it since then and that was a very, very long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 02:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Wow, I loved that comparison....

Butter - Margarine - good idea, actually.

When I was in middle school, my dad wanted to bring in something where we could get soft drinks from the refrigerator. He was a fan of Coke and all of us kids thought that it would be the coolest. Kind of like a dispenser. (My dad was always into the newest thing out there).

However, my mother - only this once - bought a bottle of Coke. She put a glass on the counter and told us to check in the morning. She put a nail in the glass and poured Coke over it.

In the morning, we came out. The glass was still there. She had a note. The nail is rusty. That will be your stomach. No Coke; none of this soft drink stuff in the house.

The only soft drink I ever remember being there after that was Ginger Ale.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile TV Dinners

Never had them as a kid. Never ever.

My first visit to Burger King was my junior year of HS and I got in trouble for that. Fast food was a huge no-no and both parents felt the same. They thought it was garbage.

I was well into my 20's and I ran in my mother while grocery shopping. I had a frozen dinner in my cart - it was Scrod - and she threw a fit. Made me go put it back and told me to come over any night for dinner so she knew I was eating OK.

When I had my kids, I had this wonderful woman (grandma for hire) taking care of them. She had worked at Stouffers so I got away with buying the Stouffers Mac N Cheese and a couple of others but that was it.

I will say that my 2 children - now adults - are amazing eaters and cooks - both of them. They love just about everything, very health conscious, read labels and all that.

I am not a good eater myself.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:01 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Oh my gosh, some of those Jello salad concoctions were the worst. I could deal with the canned fruit. But those "salads" with the lime Jello, cottage cheese, Green Goddess salad dressing, mayo and who knows what all else were an absolute horror.

I didn't know you had dinner at our house.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:20 PM

8,764 posts, read 5,055,756 times
We had Jello plain, with Redi-whip, so good in the summer.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:28 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
My mom worked full time, but Dad still expected a meat & potatoes meal almost every night. One of the lunches that came from a can was Campbell’s tomato soup. I think it was 10 cents a can. And if it cost more, she wouldn’t buy it. The last time I had tomato soup was when she gave it to me as a kid. I’ve never been able to ever think about it since. It would have to be one of the last things on earth.
My great aunt Ruth used to feed tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches to my cousin and me. My great uncle had a "Trading Post" -- literally a huge wooden building that contained everything you might ever want. Aunt Ruth worked there, and my mom would dump me there during the summer for the free babysitting, while she went off to do who-knew-what.

Great uncle Elmer got his stock by doing house cleanouts. He'd take his finds back to the trading post and the itinerant fruit pickers would buy from him.

I had dinner with them from time to time but I don't remember what we ate. It was certain to be cheap and filling, though.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:43 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Oh my gosh, some of those Jello salad concoctions were the worst. I could deal with the canned fruit. But those "salads" with the lime Jello, cottage cheese, Green Goddess salad dressing, mayo and who knows what all else were an absolute horror.
Oh geez, I had pushed those gawdawful things out of my mind. Thanks SO much for bringing back those memories. My mother's favorite was green jello with a can of veg-all suspended in it. Served -- of course -- with a big dollop of mayo on top. She also made a foamy salad with green jello, cucumbers, mayo, and it tasted like probably some vinegar as well. That wasn't horrible, but not exactly as healthy as a "salad" should be IMHO.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:40 PM

425 posts, read 191,716 times
hamburger helper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement