Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 10:54 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Oh my gosh, some of those Jello salad concoctions were the worst. I could deal with the canned fruit. But those "salads" with the lime Jello, cottage cheese, Green Goddess salad dressing, mayo and who knows what all else were an absolute horror.

You mean like this: https://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/beanmushroom.html

That's from circa 1974 Weight Watchers recipes. If you get a chance, look at all of them! They crack me up and disgust me all at the same time.

https://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 10:57 AM

11,006 posts, read 6,865,758 times
We need a barf emoji on here! On second thought, there's a good reason there isn't one!

Old 07-05-2022, 10:57 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Yea pressure cooker popular in 1940s, 50s, and 60s. It was the way to go you wanted to tenderize tough cuts meat. Only thing meat came out kinda unappetizingly grey. But it was moist and tender and FULLY COOKED. Super heated steam will do that.

My mother never used pressure cooker or canner, she was afraid of stuff like that. Though odd one is afraid of 15psi pressure, must never ride in a car with those 35psi tires at each corner and one in trunk. Just think if they exploded... LOL

Modern computerized pressure cookers dont do over 7psi I think. And sure wont have longevity of those heavy cast aluminum ones from 30s, 40s, and 50s. The old school ones with wood handles.
I have a pressure cooker - it is heavy aluminum. It did "explode" once - basically it has a pressure relief button and that will pop off.

It is also important to get a new o-ring for it each year.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:59 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Oh my gosh, some of those Jello salad concoctions were the worst. I could deal with the canned fruit. But those "salads" with the lime Jello, cottage cheese, Green Goddess salad dressing, mayo and who knows what all else were an absolute horror.
mmmm - I love Green Goddess dressing. I have even made my own. So yummy.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:49 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
None of that. My mother cooked from scratch. No, this is not some post about how superior my mother was. She cooked meat to shoe leather. She's the only person I ever knew who dried out a leg of lamb.
Your mom, bless her heart, was probably one of those old schoolers who thought meat would kill you if you didn't cook it into charcoal. That was the old fear of the pre-fridge days; parasites, botulism, etc. Meat had to be burned to a crisp or it was gonna kill you.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:42 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Whoa that was my house except for the enchiladas and burritos, omelettes, Suzy-Q's and add in waffles and applesauce. My dad ate Wheaties and Special K.
I forgot to add hot dogs with chili or cheese or tacos. Yea, the homemade enchiladas were just legendary.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:07 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
My Mom relied on a lot of "easy-to-cook" foods for lunches for us kids, including franks and beans (no SPAM, thankfully), but prepared better meals for dinner.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:11 PM

11,006 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Wow, thanks for bringing up lunch. I know I had lunch pails (can't remember anything specific), I know I had lunches inside them (can't remember anything specific). Gonna have to think about this.

I do remember that later in our childhoods (Boomers) the wide mouth plastic thermos came about...

Old 07-05-2022, 08:26 PM

409 posts, read 293,046 times
I read through the entire thread and recognize every food mentioned (born 1957). Clearer than ever why most of us were thin growing up.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:28 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,627,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Wow, thanks for bringing up lunch. I know I had lunch pails (can't remember anything specific), I know I had lunches inside them (can't remember anything specific). Gonna have to think about this.

I do remember that later in our childhoods (Boomers) the wide mouth plastic thermos came about...
We didn't have lunch boxes, we had paper bags with strict instructions to bring them home when they were empty so we could use them the next day. They usually lasted about a month before they wore out. I do remember other kids that had lunch boxes, usually pictures of TV shows were on them, Gunsmoke, Batman, Quick Draw McGraw and stuff like that.
Since we didn't have a thermos we were given 3 cents for milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement