Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 09:44 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,223,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Her when we're one block away from home: "Did I close the garage door?"
My gears turning: "Um, yes! yes! I saw it start down!"
Her: "Did you see it stop and stay down?"
Me: "No, let's go back."
Her: "Yeah it will only take a couple more minutes. I'm sure glad we aren't 20 miles away, we'd be an hour late."
I try to have more and more checklists for leaving the house. The garage door is one of them. Fortunately, exit from my place is something of a Y backing turn. Back out, stop to be able to see the garage door close, then move forward.....to exit the ranch something like the Catmob, errrr, Batmobile.

Senior moments, fantasies, and pessimism. Part of my job requires me to be a pessimism, looking at disasters, figuring if it can happen here, solve it before it does. So I watch a lot of disaster videos, PSAs at work.

It is the Sorceress's Kitten Citadel at night when I go to bed. All the cats, if I can get them all, behind my locked bedroom door, that part of the house is truly a Keep. Further, as I have seen so many fire PSAs, all the other doors in the house are closed. That is purrfect if I have all the cats but if one or so is being aloof, then I need to leave his (it is always a boy) bathroom open for access to his kitty litter.

My departure routine involves "singing and dancing" for the cats, "Now, Mommy, has to go to work to keep you all supplied in the style of Beast and Fish and BIR-D you have become accustomed to. So know that Mommy loves you (hand to my breast) and adores you (curtsey) and knows that you are beautiful and thinks that you are wonderful!".......but it involves going by the stove and making sure it is all turned off. Further, when I turn off the heat to the coffee pot, I move the pot from over the burner to the center.

So afraid the one of my little darlings may escape into the forest and become food, I practice two door security around the garage door (and for those especially pushy, into a room before I go out the main doors). The garage is not open to them unless it is before a food event. If I have to go out in the garage, such as to change kitty litter, things are gathered in the utility room, that is closed off without cats, before the garage access door is open....and then reverse.

One thing, though, that has changed the other way with "age" are the Flight Rules. When I was drinking, there were detox clocks to deal with to include times before I could drive, before I could carry weapons. Well, been on the wagon for over 2 years now so, if you will forgive the pun (and even if you will not!), Flight Rules have flown the coop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 10:37 AM

11,279 posts, read 9,906,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
Nothing dares senior moments more than my memorizing online passwords, thinking I'll recall them in a snap. Who needs to write them down?

Mr.Google keeps track of mine. He tells me that I have 165 passwords, and he thinks 20 of them are weak.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:41 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,362,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
For all of my adult life I've had a "spot" for my keys, a little rack, a basket, just a tray in a drop off spot right where I enter the door. I usually also drop my sunglasses, there too as I never leave the house without them. DH puts his keys and his wallet there. They never get lost. I even put the keys or fob in the exact same pocket of my purse every time. It sure beats frantically going through all the pockets searching for them. These are just little ways I keep myself from forgetting where I put them.
I do the same. Keys always put back in the same place. I think it is weird that some people "lose" their keys in the house.

My purse always in the same place also.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:43 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,362,393 times
Yesterday I was worried about my older sibling.

We are going through a death in the family - a sibling, so I hope this is distracting her and she will be okay.

She had called me and said we were meeting today at 6 at a local restaurant. She asked me to text our brother.

Then she called me again - what time are we meeting? And is that today or tomorrow. Oh Oh - she was the one that had basically made the plans. Hope she will be okay.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:51 PM

487 posts, read 909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Her when we're one block away from home: "Did I close the garage door?"
My gears turning: "Um, yes! yes! I saw it start down!"
Her: "Did you see it stop and stay down?"
Me: "No, let's go back."
Her: "Yeah it will only take a couple more minutes. I'm sure glad we aren't 20 miles away, we'd be an hour late."
Ha! So familiar.

After numerous reruns of this conversation...

Him (after backing out of the driveway and closing the garage door): "Do you want to take a photo?"

Old 08-10-2022, 04:35 PM

874 posts, read 488,174 times
Quote:
So afraid the one of my little darlings may escape into the forest and become food, I practice two door security around the garage door (and for those especially pushy, into a room before I go out the main doors). The garage is not open to them unless it is before a food event. If I have to go out in the garage, such as to change kitty litter, things are gathered in the utility room, that is closed off without cats, before the garage access door is open....and then reverse.
Ha! Instead of an "Air Lock", a "Cat Lock".

Old 08-10-2022, 09:49 PM

45 posts, read 82,717 times
I can't remember.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:53 AM

23,010 posts, read 6,486,396 times
I'm 75 so it can happen often....my latest dim bulb moment...I asked my husband if he knew how long that tv show "60 minutes" was on for...

Old 08-11-2022, 06:21 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,223,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I do the same. Keys always put back in the same place. I think it is weird that some people "lose" their keys in the house.

My purse always in the same place also.
Back when I wore glasses, I had them on neck bands so when I went searching for them, they would "create a significant disturbance in the visual background" for them to stand out. I could treat my keys the same way.

Now, I am without normal glasses. As for my cheaters, I have several pairs of them around so at least one pair should be in its assigned location.

Of course, there is always the "where can they be? I had them when I was watching TV last night," because........a wildly running kitten knocked them off where they were and they are someplace else, now. I mean, that is usually what happens to the remotes.

As to keys, knives, tools, neck wallets, talismans, watches, and so forth, I am highly influenced by TV and follow "Nick Knight"'s example and have a central location to drop them at, here and there, ....if they aren't still in my clothes.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:06 AM

310 posts, read 204,493 times
As to keys, knives, tools, neck wallets, talismans, watches, and so forth, I am highly influenced by TV and follow "Nick Knight"'s example and have a central location to drop them at, here and there, ....if they aren't still in my clothes.[/quote]

I'm paranoid about misplacing my phone, so every time I leave the house I have a pouch bag around my neck, under my shirt, to contain it.

I only have one spot in the house to place my keys, so if anything is missing I know it's a real problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement