Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 01:37 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,038,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But you also complain that you can't figure how to lose the weight you've gained....
I've also shared that I have a good deal of food stored away, and I'm not throwing it out. As I've said before, when it's gone, I'll make more of an effort eat "diet-friendly" foods. However, there's nothing particularly "fattening" about Chef Boyardee. It's just that folks enjoy letting others know - ad nauseum - that they're too good for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 03:16 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Well, you won't live long or be healthy if you eat out too much unless you selectively eat at places that have higher quality and healthier menus and it won't be cheap.
I knew too many healthy eaters that worked out daily that never made it to retirement.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:39 PM

7,385 posts, read 4,169,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I knew too many healthy eaters that worked out daily that never made it to retirement.
My friend lost his wife - she had five children and was always very active, health food nut and thin. Never sick a day in her life. At a time she should have been retiring, she went to the doctor for a pain in her hip. It was stage four cancer and she was gone in a couple of months.

It depends on our genes more than anything else.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:17 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmmm, If/when I eat out, it has rarely if ever been based on "value".
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My friend lost his wife - she had five children and was always very active, health food nut and thin. Never sick a day in her life. At a time she should have been retiring, she went to the doctor for a pain in her hip. It was stage four cancer and she was gone in a couple of months.

It depends on our genes more than anything else.
How sad. Yes genes play a tremendous role in our health. I come from a family of Diabetics. Grandparents, Parents. God only knows how many before them. Some were Type 1 and some Type 2. All of them died from complications of Diabetes. I developed it in my early 20's just out of the Air Force. I've been on Insulin every day since and I'm 72 now. I'm a Type 1 though and we have no control over developing that type of Diabetes. I could have eaten Diet Jello and Celery sticks every day of my life, and I still would have developed Diabetes. The Doctor told me in my case I had a strong family history of Diabetes, which gave me some really bad genes. What type of Cancer did your friend's wife have, where she had pain in her hip and was already Stage 4?

I say if people want to eat out and can afford to do it all the time then go for it. I wish at times I could eat out and eat whatever the hell I wanted. I think I'd have the biggest Hot Fudge Sundae I could find.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:14 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,039,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've also shared that I have a good deal of food stored away, and I'm not throwing it out. As I've said before, when it's gone, I'll make more of an effort eat "diet-friendly" foods. However, there's nothing particularly "fattening" about Chef Boyardee. It's just that folks enjoy letting others know - ad nauseum - that they're too good for it.
I don't know about others, but if I'm going to eat Italian food, I want it to be made with fresh ingredients and to be something that I actually enjoy eating, not something that is processed slop made up of empty calories to fill my stomach. Moreover, I don't eat Chef Boyardee for the same reason that I don't eat Fruit Loops or Captain Crunch.

But you do you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVV6...nel=JeremyNoel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhh3...=AVideoArchive

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2022 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-28-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
How sad. Yes genes play a tremendous role in our health. I come from a family of Diabetics. Grandparents, Parents. God only knows how many before them. Some were Type 1 and some Type 2. All of them died from complications of Diabetes. I developed it in my early 20's just out of the Air Force. I've been on Insulin every day since and I'm 72 now. I'm a Type 1 though and we have no control over developing that type of Diabetes. I could have eaten Diet Jello and Celery sticks every day of my life, and I still would have developed Diabetes. The Doctor told me in my case I had a strong family history of Diabetes, which gave me some really bad genes. What type of Cancer did your friend's wife have, where she had pain in her hip and was already Stage 4?

I say if people want to eat out and can afford to do it all the time then go for it. I wish at times I could eat out and eat whatever the hell I wanted. I think I'd have the biggest Hot Fudge Sundae I could find.
My neighbor is the skinniest petite woman ever and she developed diabetes.

A dear friend also developed diabetes. While she lived in Paris (for a decade) she didn't have a car, walked everywhere and she was very into pilates - long before pilates came to the USA. From Paris, she moved to NYC - again no car and walked everywhere.

The pain in her hip was lung cancer - she never smoked a day in her life. In less than six months, she was gone.

Health is a crapshoot. Jim Fixx wrote the The Complete Book of Running. He ran every single day and died from a massive heart attack at 52.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 08-28-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-28-2022, 08:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 17 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Or at least you thought you didn't. Poor nutrition is especially harmful to children. Our bodies are still developing well into our mid-20s, and without the needed nutrients all of our systems: central nervous, skeletal, auto-immune, digestive, everything is robbed. We might all be super heroes if we all had proper diets from conception.
I used to think that, and worked hard to have healthy meals for my kids based on that idea that good nutrition was the "building blocks" for their future health as adults.

I'm not sure about that anymore. I believe it's true if kids are denied food they're craving, that's not a good idea. For example, if a child is craving citrus fruit and there isn't any, ever, that's probably a problem.

But I know several kids who ate HORRIBLY growing up, and they're now very healthy, healthy-weight, active 30somethings. One kid had terrible aversion to texture, and all he would eat are, dry breakfast cereal, chicken nuggets (if they were crunchy, not soggy) and boiled rice with butter or boiled noodles with butter. Year after year after year. My niece and nephew had only breakfast cereal, school lunch, and fast food dinners (from sonic or McDonalds) year after year after year. They're fine.

I think some people need better nutrition than other people. Some people's metabolisms crave variety, and others just live off fatty meats and salty carbs and it works.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:40 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I used to think that, and worked hard to have healthy meals for my kids based on that idea that good nutrition was the "building blocks" for their future health as adults.

I'm not sure about that anymore. I believe it's true if kids are denied food they're craving, that's not a good idea. For example, if a child is craving citrus fruit and there isn't any, ever, that's probably a problem.

But I know several kids who ate HORRIBLY growing up, and they're now very healthy, healthy-weight, active 30somethings. One kid had terrible aversion to texture, and all he would eat are, dry breakfast cereal, chicken nuggets (if they were crunchy, not soggy) and boiled rice with butter or boiled noodles with butter. Year after year after year. My niece and nephew had only breakfast cereal, school lunch, and fast food dinners (from sonic or McDonalds) year after year after year. They're fine.

I think some people need better nutrition than other people. Some people's metabolisms crave variety, and others just live off fatty meats and salty carbs and it works.

The more you eat of fat, salt and sugar, the more you crave. I noticed that when I could eat NO fat for 3 months before surgery. A week or so after surgery I tried to eat a lightly buttered piece of toast and found it disgusting, all that oil in my mouth. Decades later I can eat a reasonable amount of fat, but my consumption is low.. if I eat too much I get sick to my stomach. I also lowered my sugar consumption so much, that I can't eat most store bought or regularly homemade baked goods, it tastes way to sweet to me.

Salt has been my remaining achilles heel. I just started doing half potassium chloride and half sodium chloride. Only one day in, but didn't notice the change in my dinner taste last night and neither did DH.

Most processed food is literally engineered to find the perfect sugar/salt/fat combo to make it perfectly "addicting" to the palate, so you buy more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2022, 10:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,724,148 times
Quote:
I dislike the taste and texture of Chef Boyardee products. Also, these expensive or “snob” products: smelly soft cheeses, most wines, lobster, shrimp, oysters, pate, and strongly funky fungi.

There’s nothing particularly snooty about having individual preferences.

Lose your sour grapes; the vinegar is already evident.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Stored food during times of inflation is sensible.

Stored food is also good when the power is out during hurricanes and other such events. It's hard to store the "healthiest" fresh foods so that's where canned Chef Boyardee and chilis are useful.

Nothing wrong with a little forethought or preparedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement