Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2022, 10:50 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Everyone should have emergency food, of course. We probably have a 100 cans of beans, tomatoes, veggies, meats, and fruits, plus pound of grains, flours and dry beans.

We have a few canned prepared meal type things, like 10 maybe? Heck, we filled up a dedicated meat freezer the first couple years we got here, end of 2019 to 2021. I pulled out 2 year old scallops and they were great (hermetically sealed).

But we still lean towards nutrient dense, fresh foods the majority of our meals. If that makes me a food snob, I will buy the tshirt and proudly wear it!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 12:07 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My friend lost his wife - she had five children and was always very active, health food nut and thin. Never sick a day in her life. At a time she should have been retiring, she went to the doctor for a pain in her hip. It was stage four cancer and she was gone in a couple of months.

It depends on our genes more than anything else.
I worked with a woman in her early 40s who complained about getting headaches. She was always thin, a small built woman. Someone convinced her to see a doctor. It turned out to be lung cancer that moved to her brain. She had 4 kids, the youngest being 7. She also died a few months later.
I always thought it was strange you could be dying of lung cancer and not even know it until it's way too late. She had no coughing or other signs of it until the headaches.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:25 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's odd. I have lived in NJ all my life, which unquestionably has some great pizza. Lots of family-owned places. We are not the only place that has good pizza--parts of NY do, too, and I know that the Chicago deep-dish style has its fans.

But only recently have I heard of Connecticut being associated with good pizza, and this has popped up now in a few different places on City Data. I'm not saying it's not true, but it seems so odd that there is suddenly this idea floating around where before I NEVER heard of anyone associating CT with pizza.

Ya never know. Some years ago I stayed in Northern CT and was surprised to learn that the plants in the fields near my hotel were tobacco.
Have you seen the movie, "Mystic Pizza?"

Old 08-28-2022, 12:29 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Have you seen the movie, "Mystic Pizza?"
I have seen the movie and went to the actual restaurant in Conn, with my family about 8 years ago. All types of pictures from the film are hanging on the Walls. The restaurant certainly pulls in the crowds. Its a heavy tourist area of Conn, so seemed like everything in the area was crowded.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My neighbor is the skinniest petite woman ever and she developed diabetes.

A dear friend also developed diabetes. While she lived in Paris (for a decade) she didn't have a car, walked everywhere and she was very into pilates - long before pilates came to the USA. From Paris, she moved to NYC - again no car and walked everywhere.

The pain in her hip was lung cancer - she never smoked a day in her life. In less than six months, she was gone.

Health is a crapshoot. Jim Fixx wrote the The Complete Book of Running. He ran every single day and died from a massive heart attack at 52.
I remember Jim Fixx - but didn't he lead a very unhealthy lifestyle before he took up running?

Old 08-28-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Hey... I've eaten at Golden Corral a few times and have lived to tell the tale.

Don't knock the Chef Boyardee. We may all be living on that before it's over.
heck I stocked up on Ramen noodle cups - for some reason I was craving them.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Had my normal Friday breakfast with a friend. Now I don't order any meat so my breakfast is pretty cheap. I save meat for weekend breakfast I make a home.

My tab usually comes to $5-6...eggs, grits, biscuit, coffee.

Well today my friend cut out the meat as well and commented on how cheap her breakfast was.
I put on my "Cheshire Cat" grin and said "I toldya so".

Meat would add $3.00.
Interesting. Will have to try that. Last week I changed from oatmeal to 2 over medium eggs, 2 strips of bacon, toast and coffee - came to 8.10.

I really do not need the bacon. Might try a biscuit instead of toast next time.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:47 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Interesting. Will have to try that. Last week I changed from oatmeal to 2 over medium eggs, 2 strips of bacon, toast and coffee - came to 8.10.

I really do not need the bacon. Might try a biscuit instead of toast next time.
It's sacrilege to live in Texas and NOT order a biscuit

Old 08-28-2022, 12:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I remember Jim Fixx - but didn't he lead a very unhealthy lifestyle before he took up running?
His father died of heart disease at an even younger age than Jim did, so it was obviously in the genes and the running probably helped him live a bit longer.

My friend in HS was a serious long distance runner in track. Years before the word "jogging" even existed this guy was out running around the streets of our town in shorts, dark socks & Keds, years before anyone else ever did, this was like the late 1960s. He was always fit and trim his entire adult life, no bad habits, etc...

He dropped dead in his mid-60s, maybe if he wasn't so athletic it would've been 10 years earlier? Both of his parents were very healthy and long-lived. At a certain point it's just Wheel of Misfortune time for some of us despite our efforts.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's sacrilege to live in Texas and NOT order a biscuit
I know - but it takes them so long to make it - lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement