Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 01:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We do not plan to retire. When you do nothing, you die.
You're the third person today I've seen state here that you don't plan to retire.

Why are you all posting on the Retirement forum?

Just curious!

Old 10-13-2022, 02:04 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
That's one problem.

Another is that freezing property taxes for those over age 65 is identically equal to raising property taxes on everyone else.

Property taxes are just one form of a wealth tax, and wealth taxes can have nasty side effects.

The State believe it saves them money on long term care (keeping old people in their homes).

Old 10-13-2022, 03:08 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We do not plan to retire. When you do nothing, you die. There is always work to be done.

We have seen people in their early 60s and late 50s, retire and devote their lives completely to Grandchildren. And to a lesser extent, grown children. What we see isn't pretty.

When your grandbaby is born, a few pictures are appropriate on Facebook. Not one a day. Baptized, dedicated, naming ceremony? Sure. The ANIVERSARY of these events? Uh Uh.

What about YOUR LIFE? Take a class. Listen to new music. Learn to ride a horse. SOMETHING. We know. You are obsessed with your grandkids. I am not. I am YOUR friend. I hate seeing you melt into a grandma. A gigi. A nana. A mee-maw - what ever.
I wouldn't go that far, but one of the biggest problems that I see with people (and, to some extent, myself, as I work remotely and live alone) is a lack of basic structure to the day. Work provides some structure.

My mom retired as soon as she turned 62 back in 2019. She has no structure to her day - often goes to bed after midnight, sleeps in her rocking chair often, often doesn't get out of her nightgown all day long. She has no real responsibilities or anything that provides some structure and purpose to her life. I don't think this is healthy at all.

Not everyone needs to be working a 9-5 in their older years, but people need structure. If you don't have to be somewhere, or doing something, or have some kind of semi-productive routine, it's very easy for bad habits to set in.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:40 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I would take a step further: we need MEANING and PURPOSE in our lives. Anyone can self-impose some sort of arbitrary routine, schedule, and "structure," but it has to be for some reason that resonates, or at least that's my theory and experience.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:52 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/37018808-post23.html

Old 10-13-2022, 11:11 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would take a step further: we need MEANING and PURPOSE in our lives. Anyone can self-impose some sort of arbitrary routine, schedule, and "structure," but it has to be for some reason that resonates, or at least that's my theory and experience.
So you think work is the only possible meaning and purpose of human life? No, surely not of MY life :-).

Old 10-13-2022, 11:14 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but one of the biggest problems that I see with people (and, to some extent, myself, as I work remotely and live alone) is a lack of basic structure to the day. Work provides some structure.

My mom retired as soon as she turned 62 back in 2019. She has no structure to her day - often goes to bed after midnight, sleeps in her rocking chair often, often doesn't get out of her nightgown all day long. She has no real responsibilities or anything that provides some structure and purpose to her life. I don't think this is healthy at all.

Not everyone needs to be working a 9-5 in their older years, but people need structure. If you don't have to be somewhere, or doing something, or have some kind of semi-productive routine, it's very easy for bad habits to set in.
I sleep at night and do whatever I want during the day. That structure completely satisfies my needs.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:17 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
You're the third person today I've seen state here that you don't plan to retire.

Why are you all posting on the Retirement forum?

Just curious!
Because I'm of that age. I'm hardly the only working person who posts here, otter. For some, retirement means a change of careers. A change of residence, downsizing, traveling the world or working from home.

"Retirement" doesn't always mean living in sweats, watching game shows, and awaiting the infrequent visits of your grandkids. Or worse, watching them every day.

Some people study art, learn to paint, open an antique shop, study teaching, or do volunteer work. Work that may not have been lucrative enough when they had children at home and were saving.

An example are police officers. We have a friend who retired after twenty years. He was only 40. His wife was pregnant with their third child. He is not in the retirement age group. He always wanted to be an attorney. He went back to school, and now he's a partner in a distinguished law firm. He's in his early 60s. Not an "old man" by any standard.

Old 10-13-2022, 02:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Your mistake is thinking that many or most people are unmotivated and lacking interests like your mother.

Why in the world would you extrapolate from one person in the world who lacks motivation and lacks interests (your mother) to the whole rest of the retiree population?

It's absurd.

Old 10-13-2022, 02:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:

Actually not everyone feels empty inside. Nor do retirees automatically feel empty inside.

And therefore emphasizing meaning and purpose as a retiree is not necessary nor needed for many.....when one has lots of interests in life.

They had enough meaning and purpose when they were working for 40 years and/or raising their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.