Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 03:08 PM

32 posts, read 15,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Thanks for helping me make the decision to work another 5 years to 67.

Old 10-02-2022, 03:49 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
If it is necessary to withdraw money from IRA funds currently in the markets to live on, then yes, I would likely continue to work at least a couple more years. But if I could get by with cash savings and SS, and not withdraw funds, then I might go ahead and retire.

Let’s just hope it rebounds in a couple years.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:23 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh55 View Post

I already was; but, that just points to why...

Old 10-02-2022, 04:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
If it is necessary to withdraw money from IRA funds currently in the markets to live on, then yes, I would likely continue to work at least a couple more years. But if I could get by with cash savings and SS, and not withdraw funds, then I might go ahead and retire.
I'm living on just my paltry pension. In fact, on only about half of it. But I'm not having a whole lot of fun.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Thanks for helping me make the decision to work another 5 years to 67.
I don't blame you. That sounds like an utterly exhausting way to live. Canning...um, no.

My sister does a lot of those things, though, only on a less fancy basis and without the whole homemade dog food and food pantry part. She has a large garden, cans, freezes.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-02-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-02-2022, 05:59 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Kosh55, no thanks to that type of life. I have worked hard all my life and now it’s my time to enjoy myself.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:34 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Kosh55, no thanks to that type of life. I have worked hard all my life and now it’s my time to enjoy myself.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:53 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
I just love elnrgby's lifestyle!

I think my SS statement says 79% (but, it's subject to change).

The reason I think it is unlikely to happen is because of the impact it would have on the economy (for basic things like groceries, utilities, etc.). I think the Macro Economics will be taken into account. I think it is more likely they means test it first and that people whose only income is SS is a lot less likely to be impacted. But, there might not be enough accountants in the world to accurately do the means testing and for that reason some arbitrary percentage may be used overall.

But, then, what do I know for sure?
One solution that I do not see mentioned is to make SS the identical monthly amount for every qualified former tax contributor to SS, like UBI for all retirees. It would penalize higher lifelong earners/contributors (including me), but in terms of fairness, it would be somehow easier to swallow than means testing. Plus it would not require any of the complex administration required for means testing - in fact it would greatly reduce SS administration.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:14 PM

I'll add a few things since the neg reaction baffles me- The idea this is sooo much work.

-A leaning greenhouse- hire a Contractor. Herbs pay for themselves. Regularly bought from the store to sit & rot in your frige mostly un-used. A time zapper. Smelly. Versus a natural air purifier filtering air toxins. 20 min of watering time 2x a mo?[/u] Organic Fresh garlic, parsley, oregano, mint, lemon balm, thyme, at your fingertips for hot tea at 11pm, adds flavor to a pot of spaghetti, etc. Perennials are tasty compared to store bought!!

-Canning. This IS work.We ONLY can only 4 items:
Our own fruit-Apples (applesauce) lemons, organic pumpkins leftover from halloween & hand picked blackberries/gooseberries. Do you have jars of healthy vegetables/fruit on-hand for the next Pestilence?

-Grow, In ABUNDANCE, only easy to grow vegetables- Pole beans, Colorful bell & jalapeño peppers, potatoes, Kale, Swiss chard, various squash, & radishes. Once established, this takes less time than if we shopped for these items in the grocery store.

- Compost all of our fruit/vegetables. I admit this takes time vs buying the bags at a Nursery. Tossing the vegetables, fruit cores, into a small trashcan in the house. Waiting until it stinks to take outside to add to manure. After it after it smells bad attracting worms & bugs, the chickens go at it preparing it for our garden. A bag of chicken feed delivered only every few months

- Very easy to pull a blackout curtain in front of the leaning greenhouse window. Keeps your home temperature controlled during a power outage& Adds Natural Beauty to the room.

- Go shower every time you poop, no skin off my back. Expect it during the next pestilence and there is no TP.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't blame you. That sounds like an utterly exhausting way to live. Canning...um, no.

My sister does a lot of those things, though, only on a less fancy basis and without the whole homemade dog food and food pantry part. She has a large garden, cans, freezes.
Good for her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.