Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 10:59 AM

27 posts, read 12,610 times

Advertisements

I was planning on retiring in 5 years or so, but now it looks like it will be more like 10 years since inflation has shot up and the stock market has gone down the toilet. From what I've read, it looks like things will suck for at least the next couple of years, possibly longer, especially if the economy craters. About a year ago, I penciled in 2027 for my retirement year but that just isn't happening unless a miracle occurs.

I've hated working for decades. I hate waking up at an ungodly hour, fighting traffic for 3 hours a day round trip, staring at boring things that I don't care about on a monitor for 8 hours a day, and wearing a fake smile around bosses and coworkers who I don't particularly like and would rather not deal with.

I've been in a bad mood lately, but I figure it's beyond my control, so why worry about it?

Old 09-26-2022, 11:04 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
If it does it is a good wake up call. If you have a "cash" reserve for your living expenses not covered by ss, pensions etc you should be ok. If you will have to sell securities to pay your monthly bills I would postpone. But then I enjoyed my job.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:04 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I'm still on track for 2026. We're prepared (at this point) to retire with what we have at the time and live within those means.

My self-care is more important than putting up with the career for any longer than I have to.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:08 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
No. I've accepted that we might have less in retirement but I don't see that impacting our time frame for retirement.

Sure this inflation and the impact on the stock market are coming at a terrible time for us but I'm not seeing working even longer to be a solution.

I've seen way too many people push themselves to continue working only to wind up dying before they have a day of retirement or dying shortly after retirement. It's better to live on a little less than you had hoped for in retirement than it would be to not have a retirement at all.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I'm retiring in 2023, and so far my latest check on my 401 and 457 show 1.5% growth, not great, but still no loss. Those are also a small part of my retirement income, with my wife and I both getting pensions.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:12 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
No. I've accepted that we might have less in retirement but I don't see that impacting our time frame for retirement.

Sure this inflation and the impact on the stock market are coming at a terrible time for us but I'm not seeing working even longer to be a solution.

I've seen way too many people push themselves to continue working only to wind up dying before they have a day of retirement or dying shortly after retirement. It's better to live on a little less than you had hoped for in retirement than it would be to not have a retirement at all.
Yup, guy I used to work with retired in June at 70. Someone sent me his obituary a few weeks ago. I am not sure what killed him, but I think if he had found he was terminally ill earlier, he would not have retired. Where I worked, if you die when you are working, your beneficiary gets 3X your salary. If you die in retirement, you get $35K. I knew someone once who had put in his retirement papers when he found he had cancer and a few months to live. Pulled his retirement papers for the sake of his family, and was just out sick until he died.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:17 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup, guy I used to work with retired in June at 70. Someone sent me his obituary a few weeks ago. I am not sure what killed him, but I think if he had found he was terminally ill earlier, he would not have retired. Where I worked, if you die when you are working, your beneficiary gets 3X your salary. If you die in retirement, you get $35K. I knew someone once who had put in his retirement papers when he found he had cancer and a few months to live. Pulled his retirement papers for the sake of his family, and was just out sick until he died.
My husband's dad and my dad both died around the age of 70 so there is no way that we'll be waiting that long to retire.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:25 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
My husband's dad and my dad both died around the age of 70 so there is no way that we'll be waiting that long to retire.
I retired at 57 from a public sector job with 37 years of service. Worked part-time for a bit for a few years after, but it was easy work and paid well and I could more or less work what hours I wanted to. I will not file for SS until I am at FRA. My pension is sufficient. I would have gone out at the earliest possible time at 55, but my boss dangled a promotion and a chunky raise to stay for the extra two years.

My younger sister worked at various office jobs before going back to school and getting a degree in software engineering at 46. She has a good job in the private sector, but she is 61 and won't be able to retire until she hits FRA in the SS system. I feel bad for her. She is struggling still with some aftereffects of COVID, and her husband was just diagnosed with bladder cancer. He is already retired and eight years older than she is. He is going to be getting treatment, but she is worried that they will never be able to enjoy retirement together.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Quote:
You got that right. Even if I have to live in a park model home for a few years I’m retiring early!

Old 09-26-2022, 12:00 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblahblah View Post
I was planning on retiring in 5 years or so, but now it looks like it will be more like 10 years since inflation has shot up and the stock market has gone down the toilet. From what I've read, it looks like things will suck for at least the next couple of years, possibly longer, especially if the economy craters. About a year ago, I penciled in 2027 for my retirement year but that just isn't happening unless a miracle occurs.

I've hated working for decades. I hate waking up at an ungodly hour, fighting traffic for 3 hours a day round trip, staring at boring things that I don't care about on a monitor for 8 hours a day, and wearing a fake smile around bosses and coworkers who I don't particularly like and would rather not deal with.

I've been in a bad mood lately, but I figure it's beyond my control, so why worry about it?
Why is it beyond your control? When have you done something to actively change your situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement