Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 10:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I remember going to them a few times as a child, although my memories in general are as faded as old newspaper photos at this point. This would probably be late '50s and perhaps a year or so beyond, being brought there by my folks, I vaguely remember being with my grandmother too. This would be on occasions that we would take the subway to Manhattan in our "good clothes" for some reason: the Tree at Rockefeller Center, Mass at St Pat's Cathedral... something cheap or free.

They were busy and noisy, I recall. I was fascinated walking around, looking at all the little windows with a plate of food locked behind it: soup, sandwiches, desserts and I could choose and pay myself. The only dish I have a clear memory of is getting a small bowl of baked beans that was in a small but heavy commercial-style bowl (to prevent chipping & breakage) and was steaming hot. Putting a coin in the slot myself and grabbing it from the window was exciting to a 6-7-8(?) yo and carrying the tray to our table.

If I watched the little windows after people took their tuna sandwich or whatever, I would catch a glimpse of someone's face behind the window quickly shoving in another sandwich and disappearing. For a kid it was a fascinating place to eat compared to all those boring restaurants where i had to sit still and be quiet forever it seemed.

I guess a few were still around when I was a teen but they were almost invisible in the age of fast-food burgers. They disappeared quietly, like the lightning bugs we used see back then too but no more.
Bada Bing! Same as my memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 10:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...twist/2852749/

Quote:
They had been around since the 19th century, and mostly disappeared 30 years ago. Now automats are coming back, with some 21st century improvements.

The food vending machines are a piece of nostalgia for many, with about 150 around the world at one point. Using one was easy enough: Simply put in some coins, and open a small door that food would pop out from.

The new automat in Jersey City's Newport neighborhood is much more tech-friendly, but is still the same basic premise. To order, customers enter their order into an app or a kiosk. Their name will appear on screen, and a numbered delivery box will light up when the food is ready. Once the customer types "open" on their phone, the door will do so and the food can be taken away.

There is one change from the classic automat: Back then, food could have been sitting around for hours. Not so with this new form, as none of the food — ranging from mac 'n cheese to curry pot roast — will be pre-made, according to one of the restaurant's partners.
As noted by others they are coming back all teched up!

Old 11-19-2022, 11:26 AM

106,575 posts, read 108,713,667 times
If they did come back they won’t be taking nickels .

More like tens and fives

Old 11-19-2022, 04:54 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
All I know about automats is that MM sang about them in Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. Quite a great act too & it's on You Tube if you're interested. (Movie is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes but you can just hear her sing Diamonds.)

Old 11-22-2022, 12:14 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Anyone get Turner Classic Movies? Documentary on "The Automat" at 8:00 p.m. today.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:09 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Is that the Mel Brooks special? You can rent it on amazon for $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Automat-Mel-B...s%2C146&sr=8-1

It's dated 2022 but includes a credit for..Ruth Bader Ginsburg? Colin Powell, too.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:22 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Just found a surprise on Reddit. There's an automat type in the Netherlands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEBO

Old 11-23-2022, 11:03 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you have to ask, we can't explain it to you!
In other words you can't form a rational explanation, but the rose colored glasses looking wistfully at yesteryear dominate your emotions.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There were fewer processed foods in those days. Certain items tasted better.
How do you measure that exactly, as in what metric is used to determine that sandwiches, pies, whatever tasted better? Surely you'd concede that people looking back 50 years at their memories of how things tasted isn't a valid barometer of quality or taste, and one could argue that modern preservatives would better support items that could sit in slots for days.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:10 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I love buffets but I have read a thread here where a lot of people don't. They don't like people close to the food, handling the serving utensils, handling the food with their hands, not getting a clean plate with each return, sneezing, coughing etc.
What they don't know goes on behind closed doors (in the kitchen, say), won't hurt them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement