Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 06:08 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,832 times

Advertisements

Watched a cool documentary on HBO Max. Mel Brooks said he once paid $35 for a cup of coffee and it wasn't
as good as the 5 cent Horn and Hardart coffee he used to get at the Automat.

They looked pretty cool and had nice decor with marble floors. Of course you'd most likely have to use a credit
card today to swipe (no coins) but turning a brass knob and getting a great sandwich or piece of pie sounds
like a win to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 06:25 PM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
They were before my time but they looked pretty nifty. Everything was a nickel, right? Did they serve on real dishes with silverware etc.? Who cleaned up the tables etc.?

Old 11-15-2022, 07:06 PM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Some were still around even 30 years ago but I've never been to one, myself. If there was one open now and located close to me, I would try it. They look kind of fun.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
They were before my time but they looked pretty nifty. Everything was a nickel, right? Did they serve on real dishes with silverware etc.? Who cleaned up the tables etc.?
Everything started out as a nickel. They eventually increased the price to 10 cents (2 nickels) and people got annoyed! They did use real dishes; I think they had busboys or some workers who cleaned up.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Some were still around even 30 years ago but I've never been to one, myself. If there was one open now and located close to me, I would try it. They look kind of fun.
I agree! I think it would be a cool place to have lunch if you had a "Back to the Future" kind of experience.
Or if they brought them back today.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:00 PM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Everything started out as a nickel. They eventually increased the price to 10 cents (2 nickels) and people got annoyed! They did use real dishes; I think they had busboys or some workers who cleaned up.
I can see the allure. Take some nickels and you're good to go.

Mrs. didn't like the 99 cent stores because they started charging $1.99 etc. Then her beloved $1 tree changed to the $1.25 tree and well...?

Since Nixon changed the world maybe a fixed price isn't available any more. OK use a credit card? I'm not sure that fixes the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock

Old 11-16-2022, 06:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Oh, you mean like in "That Touch of Mink" where Richard Deacon was in charge? That kind of place? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056575/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Old 11-16-2022, 06:36 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Oh, you mean like in "That Touch of Mink" where Richard Deacon was in charge? That kind of place? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056575/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
That’s my only experience with Automats. And it’s a great movie.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I'm 70 and have never seen one, they must have been before my time or perhaps only in big cities. Here at my office they have a somewhat similar idea, cold or frozen foods that you buy with a kiosk to pay, then you have to microwave the foods that get served hot. The café here got shut down due to Covid and still only about 1/10 of the people working in the office on any given day. Still not even enough to support an automat.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:14 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
I remember going to them a few times as a child, although my memories in general are as faded as old newspaper photos at this point. This would probably be late '50s and perhaps a year or so beyond, being brought there by my folks, I vaguely remember being with my grandmother too. This would be on occasions that we would take the subway to Manhattan in our "good clothes" for some reason: the Tree at Rockefeller Center, Mass at St Pat's Cathedral... something cheap or free.

They were busy and noisy, I recall. I was fascinated walking around, looking at all the little windows with a plate of food locked behind it: soup, sandwiches, desserts and I could choose and pay myself. The only dish I have a clear memory of is getting a small bowl of baked beans that was in a small but heavy commercial-style bowl (to prevent chipping & breakage) and was steaming hot. Putting a coin in the slot myself and grabbing it from the window was exciting to a 6-7-8(?) yo and carrying the tray to our table.

If I watched the little windows after people took their tuna sandwich or whatever, I would catch a glimpse of someone's face behind the window quickly shoving in another sandwich and disappearing. For a kid it was a fascinating place to eat compared to all those boring restaurants where i had to sit still and be quiet forever it seemed.

I guess a few were still around when I was a teen but they were almost invisible in the age of fast-food burgers. They disappeared quietly, like the lightning bugs we used see back then too but no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement