Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 11:22 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am curious about why people in our age bracket still eat (and pay for) fast food? It seems like something you do when you have kids or are a kid.
And I find that to be a very odd question. I guess you are never travelling, on the road, and need to stop and grab something to eat? Out shopping or running errands and need to grab a bite? Certainly has nothing to do with your age.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:40 AM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It's not just "okay" HERE. It's excellent. I'm sure you have many many very upscale 5-star restaurants you frequent. We don't. For a killer steak, HERE, and amazing waitstaff/service, RCs cannot be beat.
I only ever ate at one. It was at the hotel where I stayed on a vacation in Puerto Rico. Was pretty good. And right there.

I find the name awkward, though. I remember there was an explanation about it eons ago when the chain first opened. I think there was one on the NJ side of the Hudson that was getting some attention.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Are Restaurant Prices Scaring You Off?
No, the food does that by itself. Then again, I don't normally buy processed foods from the grocery either.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And I find that to be a very odd question. I guess you are never travelling, on the road, and need to stop and grab something to eat? Out shopping or running errands and need to grab a bite? Certainly has nothing to do with your age.
We will try to find a better fast food place when on the road and needing lunch, but those don't usually have a drive0thru, and now we prefer sitting to eat inside anyway. Usually it would be Arby's or Shake Shack. The one local exception is a local seafood restaurant that has a few "fast food" places called "Ivar's Fish Bar." They have a couple of large, full service restaurants in Seattle, but the fish bar where we go in Issaquah
is smaller, no drive-through, and limited items like fish & chips, fried clams or shrimp, fish sandwiches and Chowders. The sell Alaskan Cod, Pollock, Halibut and Salmon. Usually I will get either the Pollock and Chips or Fried Clams & chips, plus a cole slaw, my wife gets the Baby Prawns and chips. With drinks it runs about $30. Last time we ate at their big restaurant on the water in Seattle (a special occasion) it was about $80 before tip.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
This is why I get my news from City-Data. You get REAL information (if you know how to spot people paid to "shape public discourse").

Except to inspect vacant outparcels on properties I have an interest in, I haven't been inside a restaurant, since Spring of 2020. The tipping situation has always made me uneasy (I overtip, and it upsets associates), and the 'Bodily Fluids in the Food' threat, makes me doubly uneasy. Plus, restaurant food has always made me ill. Now, being Carnivore, I'm even more likely to have my food sabotaged - even at multiple-stars eateries.

But yes: the prices I'm reading here, are INSANE. They'd keep me out of eateries. Personally, I prefer to graze the big-box grocery stores, if I'm in an hotel, somewhere, since it prevents people spitting in my food.
What exactly are you doing that "everyone" is spitting in your food?

Old 11-22-2022, 01:39 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We will try to find a better fast food place when on the road and needing lunch, but those don't usually have a drive0thru, and now we prefer sitting to eat inside anyway. Usually it would be Arby's or Shake Shack. The one local exception is a local seafood restaurant that has a few "fast food" places called "Ivar's Fish Bar." They have a couple of large, full service restaurants in Seattle, but the fish bar where we go in Issaquah
is smaller, no drive-through, and limited items like fish & chips, fried clams or shrimp, fish sandwiches and Chowders. The sell Alaskan Cod, Pollock, Halibut and Salmon. Usually I will get either the Pollock and Chips or Fried Clams & chips, plus a cole slaw, my wife gets the Baby Prawns and chips. With drinks it runs about $30. Last time we ate at their big restaurant on the water in Seattle (a special occasion) it was about $80 before tip.
If we are on the road, we are eating in the car, generally. No big meals - we simply don't eat like that. Honestly Arby's has sliders for like 1.39 I think, and two of those each work for us.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:15 PM

899 posts, read 673,007 times
Restaurant prices really have gone up, but then, so have grocery prices.

And it isn't only fancy restaurants. Back in Texas, I tried the new Wendy's biscuit and sausage. It was 99 cents. When we moved here, I noticed it was $1.49. Maybe the introductory price wore off and ok, it's a different market. Then it jumped to $1.99. Last I noticed, I think it was $2.49. That's insane.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:23 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah.

Doesn't tempt me.

I'm just confused that I lived the majority of my life not knowing this stuff even existed yet everyone else seems familiar with it. And trust me, I've been pretty damn broke at times, especially when I was married, but I always managed to scrounge up food.
I don't like them at all. I'd rather eat a bag of chips and take a fiber cap to fill me. Asian markets have better ramen options. Some of them come with little miso packets and dehydrated veg.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:20 PM

566 posts, read 957,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Be careful on your low sodium diet: you still need sodium to the tune of ~1800 or 2000 milligrams per day. I'm recovering from a bout of hyponatremia - I had been quite religious about low-sodium foods, and it is possible to go too low (hyponatremia) and find yourself in the hospital. Ask me how I know.
This is a common point of confusion for many people. The sodium that you eat is different than the amount of sodium in your blood.

With hyponatremia, there is too much fluid in your body which dilutes the concentration of sodium in your blood. You would need to limit the amount of fluids that you drink, may need hospitalization, and potentially alter any medications that you take.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:53 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is crazy. That's like having a restaurant where they serve KD or Rice-a-roni!

Well, with other stuff added on top of them, too.

Nice-looking menus. Seems Asian-centered, so Asians use ramen in their cooking?

Or is ramen an Asian product to begin with?
Ramen is a hearty Asian product. It's quite sophisticated and good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement