Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 09:24 AM

7,836 posts, read 3,829,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
2 weeks ago, I went to the MacDonald's drive through.
VOLUNTARILY?

Old 11-22-2022, 09:28 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I am curious about why people in our age bracket still eat (and pay for) fast food? It seems like something you do when you have kids or are a kid.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:29 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Yes. On a recent weekend away trip, we dropped $100 for a seafood dinner on the coast...not my idea of practicality...but my wife wanted to try that restaurant.
I tend to equate the restaurant bill to how many grocery shopping bags that would fill.
That sounds about right. Fresh fish has doubled in price.
I'm along the coast and cod went from $6.99 to $12.99 and that is the lowest priced of the fish they sell.
Crab cakes went from $2.50 to $5.50 and the crab is local.

Don't forget our food is produced/caught/distributed using diesel, not regular gas.

When my son was here over the summer we went out to a nice seafood place and also spent about $100

Old 11-22-2022, 09:35 AM

7,836 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course. We used to take my parents out every year on their anniversary, to Ruth's Chris. Definitely pricey, but it was excellent food and unparalleled service (the one here is really out of this world). But at the prices now, even at the lesser-priced places, I am inclined to get my entertainment elsewhere.
Ruth's Chris is just OK for a casual chain restaurant. It is a favorite of the local annuity salesmen ("Get a Free Steak Dinner; Just Listen To Me Tell You Why Annuities Are The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread!") I always have to remember to tell them not to put butter on the steak.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:49 AM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am curious about why people in our age bracket still eat (and pay for) fast food? It seems like something you do when you have kids or are a kid.
Hmm. I never got fast food much when I was a kid. My daughter loved BK when she was little. Now she is a vegetarian who occasionally eats a piece of fish or oysters if we are at a nice restaurant. No meat in more than 8 years.

People get it because they like it. My grandmother used to regularly want a Burger King fish sandwich. She didn't have fast food when she was a kid OR when her kids were kids.

My bf and his sons all love fast food. His 38-year-old son orders McDonald's for delivery at least once a week, usually more.

I had McDonald's maybe 5 times in my entire life before I met him. Then last year, driving back and forth to hospitals an hour or two away, McD's was the only place when driving through the boonies where we could get food without getting out of the car and then just park and eat it. It was sort of a halfway point. I ate all these fish sandwiches during those trips.

Last week the bf asked for an iced coffee from McDonald's, so I went to the drive-through to get him one. I could smell the grease and thought about those fish sandwiches, but I resisted. Really don't need that now that we have a routine and I have better choices at home. My Burger-King eatin' grandmother lived to 94, but I am not sure I have her constitution.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:57 AM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That sounds about right. Fresh fish has doubled in price.
I'm along the coast and cod went from $6.99 to $12.99 and that is the lowest priced of the fish they sell.
Crab cakes went from $2.50 to $5.50 and the crab is local.

Don't forget our food is produced/caught/distributed using diesel, not regular gas.

When my son was here over the summer we went out to a nice seafood place and also spent about $100
Good point about the diesel. Never thought of that.

Yes, DD and I had a nice seafood dinner when we did a weekend in Toronto. Came to $150 CDN so maybe $110 or so. So worth it, too. Mmm.

Even better, she treated!

Old 11-22-2022, 10:25 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
This is why I get my news from City-Data. You get REAL information (if you know how to spot people paid to "shape public discourse").

Except to inspect vacant outparcels on properties I have an interest in, I haven't been inside a restaurant, since Spring of 2020. The tipping situation has always made me uneasy (I overtip, and it upsets associates), and the 'Bodily Fluids in the Food' threat, makes me doubly uneasy. Plus, restaurant food has always made me ill. Now, being Carnivore, I'm even more likely to have my food sabotaged - even at multiple-stars eateries.

But yes: the prices I'm reading here, are INSANE. They'd keep me out of eateries. Personally, I prefer to graze the big-box grocery stores, if I'm in an hotel, somewhere, since it prevents people spitting in my food.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:16 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
VOLUNTARILY?

LOL. I go to MD's every so often, when I am in a hurry. I love their cheeseburgers and always have. Small, and a good portion-controlled quick meal. Love BK's too. Wendy's I can take or leave.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Ruth's Chris is just OK for a casual chain restaurant. It is a favorite of the local annuity salesmen ("Get a Free Steak Dinner; Just Listen To Me Tell You Why Annuities Are The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread!") I always have to remember to tell them not to put butter on the steak.
It's not just "okay" HERE. It's excellent. I'm sure you have many many very upscale 5-star restaurants you frequent. We don't. For a killer steak, HERE, and amazing waitstaff/service, RCs cannot be beat.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
$100 for two, including tax & tip, is quite reasonable.
Not for us. That is a once-a-year special event type of price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement