Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2023, 10:13 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I am so very disappointed with most (but not all) of the replies I've received re my thinking of re-locating in retiirement. It seems many people don't know the difference between independent living apartments, which is what I am looking for and assisted living/continuing care communities. I do not want ot be warehoused in either of the latter but want to retain my independence as long as humanly possible (at some point, possibly with the assistance of a part-time home health aide. Again, I am not looking for assisted living or continung care. For those of you who put your mother or grandmother in a continuing care facility, I'm sure you did the right thing for you but that is NOT what I'm interested in.
That’s because you gave no indication in your OP you weren’t interested in CCRCs. Most CCRCs advertise as independent living with individual homes, cottages, appartements and with an independent lifestyle . You originally focused on not wanting gossip, cliques, non walkability and never mentioned you specifically wanted just independent living “without” access to assisted living or nursing possibility…..
Instead of criticizing posters that took the time and tried to help you with info they thought might help you, perhaps try being grateful…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 10:16 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Some friends discussed this with a person who works at one, who recommended staying out of them as long as possible.
Many are warehouses just a few steps above nursing homes.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:34 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
I think the term "independent living" is pretty self-explanatory. I don't think it's vague at all. It is NOT assisted living or continuing care. It pretty much means that you live on your own without assistance dressing, cooking, taking medications, etc. You are self-sufficient except that you live in a complex with other independent seniors. You still do your own shopping and other errands and consider yourself an active adult. If you want an example of independent apartments, google McGraw House in Ithaca, NY. I would retire there except for the snow and ice and not being close to supermarkets and other stores.
sounds like a regular apartment complex?

Old 02-12-2023, 11:50 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
sounds like a regular apartment complex?
Except that it’s age-restricted and often income-restricted.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:22 PM

518 posts, read 626,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
That's it exactly and that's why it's called an "independent living apartment" as opposed to assisted or continuing care apartments. It seems that many people on this forum cannot differentiate between the categories.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:33 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Some friends discussed this with a person who works at one, who recommended staying out of them as long as possible.
Many are warehouses just a few steps above nursing homes.
I don't think so.

I mentioned one friend's mom living in one senior apartment building, but I knew another. Same county, different town.

She lived there until her death at 87. Four months earlier, she was diagnosed with colon cancer that went to the liver. Her daughter stayed with her and eventually hospice came in.

But I met her friends who lived there at the get-together after the funeral, and they were all in their 80s but healthy and active.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:01 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
That's it exactly and that's why it's called an "independent living apartment" as opposed to assisted or continuing care apartments. It seems that many people on this forum cannot differentiate between the categories.
It is just a strange way to describe it. "independent living apartment". To me if you live in an apartment, I would think you would be independent?

Maybe senior living apartment?

Old 02-12-2023, 02:10 PM

5,010 posts, read 591,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
It is just a strange way to describe it. "independent living apartment". To me if you live in an apartment, I would think you would be independent?

Maybe senior living apartment?
OP clearly indicated in her very first post that we are talking about a senior's complex.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
What she's looking for is "low-income (subsidized) senior housing."

High horses have nothing to do with it.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:42 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My mom lived in one along with a sister or two over a few years. One of her gripes was the old ladies who sat in the lobby watching the comings and goings of everyone and visitors and talking about them........
My Dad lived in a 55+ community the last few years of his life. When you mentioned the old ladies who sit in the lobby, it made me think of his place. One day, when my husband and I were visiting him, we were in the lobby and the lobby ladies asked us who we were visiting. We told them. Then they wanted to know if we were going to move in here, too. Our answer was "no".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement