Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 09:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Many people who only remember his TV appearances are surprised to find out that he is actually a singer who can act, not necessarily an actor who can sing.

The pandemic has slowed him, but not stopped him. "At 91, John Cullum Is Ready to Try Something New"

https://artdaily.com/news/134603/At-...w#.ZA8x25HMKUc

I remember him in _1776_.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 10:45 AM

33,331 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I drive my friend (93 years old) to yoga twice a week and to strength class once a week. She is absolutely elegant ----- and holds yoga positions much longer than the youngsters at 60 years old. She is more than a decade older than I am.....still has her hearing and eyesight....just never learned to drive.....lived in New York City always taking public transportation.
One of my relatives (who died in the mid 2010s) lived to be 100...and he was still driving when he died.

He bought a new car when he was 95.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:55 AM

33,331 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I met Dick Van Dyke in 1987. Smoking back then, I didn't think he'd live a long life. He quit and boy was I wrong. Nice and upbeat person. Legendary clown.
I met and had a nice conversation with Art Linkletter in the 1980s (I was a last minute fill in guest at a Linkletter family wedding. My friend had known the Linkletters since she was a little girl (they were neighbors) and my friend's boyfriend had unexpectedly been kept out of town on business).

Art is the only man I've ever met who seemed even happier than my own grandfather.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:27 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Many people who only remember his TV appearances are surprised to find out that he is actually a singer who can act, not necessarily an actor who can sing.

The pandemic has slowed him, but not stopped him. "At 91, John Cullum Is Ready to Try Something New"

https://artdaily.com/news/134603/At-...w#.ZA8x25HMKUc
Absolutely! I saw him on Broadway several times. He is most definitely a vocalist first.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:32 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,442 times
William Shatner and William Daniels (St. Elsewhere, voice of KITT in Knight Rider) are both appearing in my city's Comic-Con this weekend.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Interesting video, but some of those "now" photos are definitely not "now".
Haha I was going to say that too! But still, some of these folks are still very active and winning awards and whatnot.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:01 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
I really enjoyed watching that, Laura. Thank you so much for posting it. I tend to forget that these actors/actresses have aged with time, especially when I watch re-runs on TV. On the screen, they remain timeless.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:34 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
What?!

I thought Mel Brooks, creator of my favorite comedy, "Blazing Saddles", was long gone.

I didn't realize Clint Eastwood was that old.

No idea who Rita Moreno is, but if that's a current pic (which I doubt), well done, Rita. Well done.

Many of them are unknown to me, however.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:54 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is a YouTube video, not a click bait slide show. It shows their current age and then and now photos. All of them are over 90 and some look pretty good to me, still.

I was surprised at how many of them there are. Watch a lot of movies and think of them the last way I saw them. I was most surprised by the 2 older astronauts since I read that many of the astronauts suffered bone loss from going into space. Anyway, I enjoyed it and hope you do too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRd_ClShFFE

That was very cool. For some of them I did not realize how old they were already (Robert Wagner, Gene Hackman, Harry Belafonte), or that they were still alive (Ethel Kennedy, who has so substantially outlived so many younger members of that family)!

On a somewhat younger subject, Mick Jagger should be turning 80 this summer, and Keith Richards too late this year.

What is old nowadays? Per AARP survey, people younger than 45 consider "old age" to start at 63. Per my informal observation, they seem to consider "very old age" to start at 80.

Massachusetts considers people aged 60 and above to be seniors. In medical literature, old is 65 (with stratification to younger old 65-74, middle old 75-84, and the oldest old 85+).

The way I feel about it at 63: late middle age is 58-65, active senior 66-77, old 78-87, very old 88+. One of my parents has just turned 88, the other one expecting to do so in a few months. That means I have 25 more years til I get very old (because they were 24.5 and almost 25 when I was born). That is only about 8 times longer than my retirement so far - I retired 3 years ago, and these last 3 years seem to have passed as rapidly as 3 weeks... does that mean that my remaining active or somewhat active retirement will feel like 6 more months of good life (if I even get to be as lucky as my parents)?

Old 03-20-2023, 02:17 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What?!

I thought Mel Brooks, creator of my favorite comedy, "Blazing Saddles", was long gone.

I didn't realize Clint Eastwood was that old.

No idea who Rita Moreno is, but if that's a current pic (which I doubt), well done, Rita. Well done.

Many of them are unknown to me, however.
Many? Really? I would have thought that most people in our demographic would be familiar with most of those individuals. But I guess I'm even more surprised that you don't know who Rita Moreno is. She's been an international star ever since she won an Academy Award for her portrayal of Anita in West Side Story in 1961. In fact, she's one of the very few people to have not only won an Oscar, but also to have won a Tony, an Emmy, and a Grammy!

Here's a scene from West Side Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrFk...annel=JohnLong

And to answer your "question," yes, that is a (relatively) current pic. In fact, she's co-starring in a current movie that was recently released called 80 for Brady. Here's a trailer wherein you can see how she currently looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UeG...amountPictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement